Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

NOS Klein Quantum

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

NOS Klein Quantum

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22, 12:47 PM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
NOS Klein Quantum

Picked up what I believe is a 1995 Klein Quantum in unused condition. Seller said it started life as a frame that was built up in the shop where he worked and sat unsold for years. It was eventually transferred to the basement to sit. It is covered in dust but basically NOS ~1995 Klein.
What to do with a bike like this?

Likes For trailmix:
Old 12-28-22, 12:48 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 5,405 Times in 1,869 Posts
Ride it! My Quantum II was a fast but comfortable ride. Go enjoy that beast!
Old 12-28-22, 01:40 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,066 Times in 1,657 Posts
1995 Quantum came with RX100 STI - looks legit and ready to ride.

People like these for criteriums, but my Quantum Pro is the best climbing and descending bike I've ever had... I like stiff.

Unlikely that the shop put a wired computer on a bike they hadn't sold - also the Look pedals would've been by request.
Old 12-28-22, 01:52 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,024 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by trailmix
Picked up what I believe is a 1995 Klein Quantum in unused condition. Seller said it started life as a frame that was built up in the shop where he worked and sat unsold for years. It was eventually transferred to the basement to sit. It is covered in dust but basically NOS ~1995 Klein.
What to do with a bike like this?

one of the best bikes ever built, upgrade it with Dura Ace 7700/7800 and a pair of carbon wheels and you will have a light weight bike
Old 12-28-22, 02:21 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Liked 458 Times in 326 Posts
That year of Quantum is going to have the press fit square taper bottom bracket. If you were not OK with the current RX 100 double cranks then you have fewer options for other cranks. You could seek out any 110bcd square taper cranks in order to get a lower gear range for improved hill climbing. You might even get away with running a triple square taper crank with 110/74 bcd such as a deore xt from that era or an XTR M900.

I know how to remove the BB spindle and bearings but I don't possess an original Klein tool nor do I have an improvised tool that can press in a replacement bottom bracket.
Old 12-28-22, 03:01 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Liked 725 Times in 492 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Ride it! My Quantum II was a fast but comfortable ride. Go enjoy that beast!
If the tires and tubes aren't <5 years old, I'd replace them first (rubber degrades slowly when exposed to air). And I'd also repack the headset and wheel bearings and give everything else a good gentile cleaning and lube as required.

After that - oh hell yes. Go ride it!
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 12-28-22, 03:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
I has 2 aluminum Quantums, wish they had lasted. Had top tube sweat corrosion on the brake housing brackets, Klein replaced that frame in '95. The 2nd had its seat post clamp crack in 2000. Could not replace. I would still be using that last bike otherwise, it fit well, climbed great, was comfortable, loved that bike.

I'd ride this one for sure,
Old 12-28-22, 04:31 PM
trailmix

Originally Posted by masi61
That year of Quantum is going to have the press fit square taper bottom bracket. If you were not OK with the current RX 100 double cranks then you have fewer options for other cranks. You could seek out any 110bcd square taper cranks in order to get a lower gear range for improved hill climbing. You might even get away with running a triple square taper crank with 110/74 bcd such as a deore xt from that era or an XTR M900.

I know how to remove the BB spindle and bearings but I don't possess an original Klein tool nor do I have an improvised tool that can press in a replacement bottom bracket.
Oh yeah, I forgot that the old Kleins used the press fit bottom bracket.
Old 12-28-22, 08:03 PM
trailmix

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
1995 Quantum came with RX100 STI - looks legit and ready to ride.

People like these for criteriums, but my Quantum Pro is the best climbing and descending bike I've ever had... I like stiff.

Unlikely that the shop put a wired computer on a bike they hadn't sold - also the Look pedals would've been by request.
According to the seller, the shop built it up with whatever was lying around. Most of the components are RX100, the handlebars and seatpost are Trek branded, Syncros stem and Ultegra hubs laced up with Matrix rims. I assume that the computer, bottle cage and pedals were thrown on as “display” items but that is just speculation. None of it appears to have been used either way.
Old 12-28-22, 08:13 PM
Warren128

Bikes: 87 Raleigh 531C Team Replica, 96 Litespeed Classic, 99 Mongoose RX10.9, 03 Lemond Wayzata, 00 Litespeed Appalachian, 99 Bianchi XL Boron, 98 Litespeed Tuscany, 80 Carlton SC, 86 Pro Miyata

Liked 54 Times in 28 Posts
Dust it off, lube and renew where necessary, then ride the heck out of it! Great find! Those bikes were hot BITD.
Old 12-29-22, 01:42 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Liked 223 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
give everything else a good gentile cleaning
I thought of a joke about this but it wasn't kosher.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 12-29-22, 08:06 AM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by retswerb
Nice.

Like Robert A. Heinlein once said about Jerry Pournelle (both sadly now deceased): I am also a "terribul spellur" (or maybe it was "terribul spellar").

Not sure that "spell-check" qualifies as the best thing since sliced bread, but for me it's close. Unfortunately, it doesn't catch those misspellings that also happen to be correctly spelled other words.

Last edited by Hondo6; 12-29-22 at 08:09 AM.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 12-29-22, 08:31 AM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by masi61

The late Sheldon Brown's BB database says the shell is 68mm wide and 35mm - which is just a hair under 1.378" - diameter (presumably that's the ID). Gotta wonder if one of the current threadless repair bottom brackets would fit. Last time I checked, they're still made by Sunrace and at least one other manufacturer specifically for use with frames having stripped BB threads. (Velo Orange formerly sold one also, but they seem to have discontinued theirs.)

They're unfortunately square taper/68mm only, and spindle lengths are limited. But that certainly beats not being able to ride because the BB is shot.

If so, that might provide a replacement option if/when the original BB fails.

I've never owned a Klein, so I haven't ever had to replace or service a Klein press-fit BB. Anyone out there know whether the threadless repair BB option will work on a Klein frame?

Last edited by Hondo6; 12-29-22 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-29-22, 10:12 AM
Feldman

Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Brilliant!!!
Old 12-29-22, 11:07 AM
VtwinVince

Liked 262 Times in 153 Posts
Great time capsule find, also a big fan of these.
Old 12-29-22, 11:56 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Liked 357 Times in 195 Posts
I thought I'd just pass over that remark
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 12-29-22, 03:01 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
I thought I'd just pass over that remark
As the sheep said to the shepherd: "That was pretty b-a-a-a-a-a-a-d!"