Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 shifters not recognized

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 08:32 PM
scutchin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Both shifters on my Di2 just stopped working tonight. Neither shifts, the top buttons don't change my Garmin screens like they used to, and neither E-tube mobile app or the Windows based E-tube recognize the shifters.

I have it on my trainer and have been loosening the shifters to align them a little since the left one was a little lower, but only moved it up a few mm.

On the inside of each shifter under the really hard to pull up rubber boots there are 2 wires on the right shifter and one on the left, plus a dummy plug on the left. I made sure those were all the way in with the little tool Shimano includes.

Are there maybe other wires I'm not aware of? Do I need to take the shifters completely off, if so how I do that (unwrap handlebar tape?!)

Please help, I'm lost!!

The only 2 wires I see (right shifter)

E-tube doesn't recognize either shifter.

Last edited by scutchin; 01-13-23 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added images
Old 01-13-23, 08:47 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by scutchin
Both shifters on my Di2 just stopped working tonight. Neither shifts, the top buttons don't change my Garmin screens like they used to, and neither E-tube mobile app or the Windows based E-tube recognize the shifters.

I have it on my trainer and have been loosening the shifters to align them a little since the left one was a little lower, but only moved it up a few mm.

On the inside of each shifter under the really hard to pull up rubber boots there are 2 wires on the right shifter and one on the left, plus a dummy plug on the left. I made sure those were all the way in with the little tool Shimano includes.

Are there maybe other wires I'm not aware of? Do I need to take the shifters completely off, if so how I do that (unwrap handlebar tape?!)

Please help, I'm lost!!

The only 2 wires I see (right shifter)

E-tube doesn't recognize either shifter.
The right e-tube connector does not look like its seated.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-13-23, 09:18 PM
scutchin

Originally Posted by Steve B.
The right e-tube connector does not look like its seated.
BOOM!! That was it, thank you so much for noticing!!

I tried using the little Shimano tool to press them on the way on, but I guess it just couldn't push hard enough. I ended up using needle nose pliers, I could hear the "click". They messed up the outside of the housing a little, but they work so I can't complain.

Thanks again!

AFTER:

Likes For scutchin:
Old 01-13-23, 10:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Yes, I can see it would be hard to get the Shimano tool in there unless you pealed back the bar tape.
Old 01-13-23, 11:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I've had more consistent luck snapping them in by pushing with a fingernail than that plastic tool. That way you can feel the click, even if you can't hear it.

I was going to suggest pulling all of the shifter wires out, and re-seating them, but am glad to hear it was much simpler.
Old 01-15-23, 01:36 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Next time you take the handlebar tape off, make sure there is a little excess wire at the shifter. That'll prevent you from pulling the wires loose by accident ;-)

Old 01-17-23, 03:30 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by TerryDi2C
Next time you take the handlebar tape off, make sure there is a little excess wire at the shifter. That'll prevent you from pulling the wires loose by accident ;-)

Yes! I’ve learned the hard way. On a group ride as we were beginning a climb my FD stopped working. I didn’t have enough slack on the cable and the connector came undone. When I got home I plugged it back in but the following week or so it happened again! I finally unwrapped my bar tape and gave the cable more slack before rewrapping the bar tape.
Likes For momoman:
Old 01-20-23, 10:55 AM
scutchin

Great idea! I little disappointed that Specialized had zero slack in the wires. I wasn't even moving them to adjust, one was a little lower so I was just realligning it a couple of mm. Maybe I should have riased one instead of lowering the other, but still a couple of mm shouldn't have been enough to pull the wire.

Originally Posted by TerryDi2C