Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'89 Schwinn Circuit

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'89 Schwinn Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 12:45 PM
TheSilverFox

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit, GT Avalanche, Trek Domane, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
'89 Schwinn Circuit

Hello, don't post much here but wanted to share newly acquired Schwinn Circuit I found on Craigslist in December. Originally built an identical Circuit in '89 while I was in High School and working at a bike shop. Actually still have it but my younger self wasn't very gentle on it. Had the notion that if I could find another in mint condition I would get it. Had found a few but too many flippers believed they struck '80s gold or their idea of good condition was ridden hard and put away wet.

This arrived a week before Christmas and couldn't be happier. Plan was to get a Dura Ace group and rebuild but when I got a good look at this Santé group it really knocked my socks off. The pearl white is awesome, perfect period rad. Not sure why I didn't like it as a youngster, and am surprised to learn was slotted between 600 and Dura Ace in Shimano lineup. Snowed right before it arrived and haven't taken it out yet. Slapped some cheap red/white pedals on it, not sure if they are cool or trash but open to opinions. Still has original tires so will ride those once and then get modern rubber on it. Also going to change seat, suggestions on period correct would be appreciated.

Still have the Original Circuit and not sure what to do with it. I'm either going to donate to bike co-op or mount in my office. It was the most expensive thing owned for at least a decade. Thinking putting on the office wall might be a good reminder of what hard work can provide.

Old 01-14-23, 01:58 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,551 Times in 1,409 Posts
Wow, awesome. Can you talk a bit about what you really enjoy about the Circuit? I've been interested in picking one up and there is one local to me for sale right now, and in my size. After perusing the Schwinn lightweigh catalogs from the late 80s, I often get a bit confused as Schwinn had SO many models that seemed to completely overlap...Paramount, Prologue, Circuit, Super Sport, Premis, etc etc. I think the Circuit was right up there with the Prologue, after the Paramount.
Old 01-14-23, 02:21 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Wow, awesome. Can you talk a bit about what you really enjoy about the Circuit? I've been interested in picking one up and there is one local to me for sale right now, and in my size. After perusing the Schwinn lightweigh catalogs from the late 80s, I often get a bit confused as Schwinn had SO many models that seemed to completely overlap...Paramount, Prologue, Circuit, Super Sport, Premis, etc etc. I think the Circuit was right up there with the Prologue, after the Paramount.
Well, I can say that for a few years I had a Circuit, Paramount, and Prologue from the same time period. The last one to go was the Circuit. The Paramount always felt softer in the rear end when I got on it. Not sure how to explain it other than that. The Prologue was a fine bike also but did connect with me as well as the Circuit. I'll also say that for some reason I got my fastest sprint times of all my bikes on the Circuit. To be honest probably more attributed to the total package and setup than the frame but to me it did show just how capable a Circuit can be.
Old 01-14-23, 02:23 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Wowser, that really is a beauty and I'm digging the Sante parts too. Enjoy the ride!
Old 01-14-23, 03:20 PM
TheSilverFox

it is just a really solid nice riding frame. Is is also fairly light, weights the same as 2022 Trek Domane that I bought last year. There is also a fair bit of nostalgia from my youth. 😄
Likes For TheSilverFox:
Old 01-14-23, 04:30 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 544 Posts
TheSilverFox That thing is very minty. Nice score!

My Circuit is the earlier black/white flavor and the Suntour shifters are magic. I have only ridden it around the neighborhood after I brought it home but it will get some attention this year (deferred maintenance) and help get my flabby gut…not flabby.

Looking forward to updates!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 01-14-23, 06:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I see it and I really want it. Nice!
Old 01-14-23, 06:46 PM
TheSilverFox

Originally Posted by RustyJames
TheSilverFox That thing is very minty. Nice score!

My Circuit is the earlier black/white flavor and the Suntour shifters are magic. I have only ridden it around the neighborhood after I brought it home but it will get some attention this year (deferred maintenance) and help get my flabby gut…not flabby.

Looking forward to updates!
Thanks! I remember the black/chrome frames, those were very cool as well. Good luck getting it out this year. Know I’ll be riding this one once the weather breaks. 👍
Likes For TheSilverFox:
Old 01-14-23, 06:49 PM
TheSilverFox

Originally Posted by clubman
I see it and I really want it. Nice!
Thank you
Old 01-14-23, 09:11 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 1,080 Posts
you forgot to include the Peloton in your list - although I guess one could assume it could be included in ’etc’

but the Peloton deserves better than anonymity in an etc ! lol

( I have a 1986 Peloton lol )
Likes For t2p:
Old 01-14-23, 10:15 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by t2p
you forgot to include the Peloton in your list - although I guess one could assume it could be included in ’etc’

but the Peloton deserves better than anonymity in an etc ! lol

( I have a 1986 Peloton lol )
Yep, that was 'etc' haha.

There are so many models! The best differentiation I could find was a comparison chart of most of the different bikes, along with weights. I'm assuming that the tier/heirarchy has to do with weight, with the lighter weight bikes being the higher end. However, the weird part was that I could not find a chart directly comparing both the Prologue and the Circuit. Best I can tell is that the follow closely behind the Paramount, but how they relate to each other I'm not sure. I continually hear great things about both bikes.
Old 01-14-23, 10:16 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well, I can say that for a few years I had a Circuit, Paramount, and Prologue from the same time period. The last one to go was the Circuit. The Paramount always felt softer in the rear end when I got on it. Not sure how to explain it other than that. The Prologue was a fine bike also but did connect with me as well as the Circuit. I'll also say that for some reason I got my fastest sprint times of all my bikes on the Circuit. To be honest probably more attributed to the total package and setup than the frame but to me it did show just how capable a Circuit can be.
I remember reading as much from you on a previous post, and I appreciate the additional details. Interesting note about the Paramount.

How was your Circuit setup, if you don't mind divulging?
Old 01-14-23, 11:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Sante- equipped Circuits! I picked one up in early 2021, with everything original, except it was missing one of the black rubber nubs from the brake pivot bolt. When I arrived at the seller's house, he said, "I put a new saddle on it, but I still have the original if you want it." and pulled out a nearly mint San Marco Rolls!

The one I got was a 22", which I was able to make KIND OF fit, with a longer seatpost and a 130 mm stem.

It looks like yours still has the original Wolber rims, which is nice. The 1989s came with a black Rolls saddle and black bar tape, kinda like I've got here. The 88 Circuits had a white saddle and bar tape, but I like the look of the 89s better.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-15-23, 08:10 AM
jamesdak 

I remember reading as much from you on a previous post, and I appreciate the additional details. Interesting note about the Paramount.

How was your Circuit setup, if you don't mind divulging?

So it was built up with a modern Campagnolo 11 speed Athena groupset and then after a couple of months I added the Zonda wheels which put it at 20 lbs 14 ozs as in this picture. I don't remember for sure but it was probably a compact crank because I also did a lot of climbing on it. The cockpit wasn't very aggressive on it either. I had thirty-some bikes most of the time when I had this one and yet could just get this up to speed faster it seemed than anything else. Was it the bike, chance, subtle difference in setup, who know? When I started doing a major downsize on the bikes I passed this on to the mechanic who built it for $400. He had been lusting for it since the build.

In comparison the 87 Paramount was quite a looker and was actually the first 1987 one made according to the serial number. It was running Dura Ace 9 speed and I got it down to 19 lbs even. Yet it just couldn't compete with the times I got on the Circuit. Looking at my comments in my old post the Paramount was always slower ever the same routes than the times I'd get with the Circuit and the PDG Paramount. Of all my Schwinn's the PDG is the one I have kept. I tried various wheel/tire setups and other things with the 87 Paramount it it was just always the slowest. So as much as I loved how it looked it was an easy one to pass on.

19 lbs even in this picture sporting the Roland Zen handbuilts wheels that were right at 1400 grams. Those wheels are now on the GP&GS Lemond and going strong. Never had to touch them over the 12 years I've ridden them. At times my weight has been above 200 lbs while using them.

I've so much respect for these late 80's Circuits and that's the model I picked to get my my son several years ago to see if he wanted to get into road cycling.

This beauty was mint but he decided he just wanted to stick to mountain biking....weird. LOL!

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-15-23 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Cause I'm a freaking idiot that can't type at types. Jeesh!
Likes For jamesdak: