Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

The long, slow twilight of fat bikes

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

The long, slow twilight of fat bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 10:41 AM
djb

Liked 1,041 Times in 852 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
^^^ Silly 'merika ... stuck in the distance past with imperial UOM!!
Ya, but fun is the same in feet, metres, furloughs or fathoms, that's all that matters.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-14-23, 11:49 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Liked 984 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Would you please furnish a metric example, that way I'll understand when it's fun to ride a fatbike ;-)

I had such a laugh on mine this summer, plus I just love the Jones bars, they make me smile, sorta like the whole fatbike.
Smiles and fun and on two wheels, keeps me happy and sane.
-40C = -40F so you have at least one column
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-14-23, 01:38 PM
djb

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
-40C = -40F so you have at least one column
ya, but other than 0c = 32f and 20c = 68f, I still have to think Fahrenheit numbers through slowly to try to figure it out in celcius
I can do the mph to kph easily in my brain, but the temp thing and the human height thing can be muddled--although we still tend to use feet and inches for peoples height here, colloquially anyway, as with peoples weight. A very Canadian thing, as we live with lots of crossover between metric and imperial. The temp thing less though as you really don't hear temps in F much anymore, maybe more with old folks.
Old 01-14-23, 03:54 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by djb
ya, but other than 0c = 32f and 20c = 68f, i still have to think fahrenheit numbers through slowly to try to figure it out in celcius
i can do the mph to kph easily in my brain, but the temp thing and the human height thing can be muddled--although we still tend to use feet and inches for peoples height here, colloquially anyway, as with peoples weight. A very canadian thing, as we live with lots of crossover between metric and imperial. The temp thing less though as you really don't hear temps in f much anymore, maybe more with old folks.
f c
-40 -40
-20 -29
0 -18
20 +7
40 +4
60 +16
80 +27
100 +38
120 +49
140 +60
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-14-23, 08:45 PM
djb

Gracias
Likes For djb:
Old 01-17-23, 03:46 PM
ClydeClydeson

Liked 923 Times in 519 Posts
Fat bikes use is obviously geographically limited - here in Central/Eastern Canada, there are more and more people riding them as the season goes on, and more people this year than last. The main hesitation people have seems to be that most of us are super psyched for XC ski season and there are only so many hours in the day and days in the week. I made the decision last year to leave my skiis in dry dock and focus on fat biking and I am enjoying myself. For people like me (avid cyclists, slightly less avid skiiers) fat bikes were the invention we were waiting for. Snowshoe trails and well-worn foot paths through the snow are now challenging and fun biking trails.

Living near a beach is also an opportunity to get the fatty out, but if you live somewhere with a year-round un-frozen beach, there are likely other non-fatbike riding opportunities that have a better reward:effort ratio.

It's admittedly pretty niche, but so are downhill bikes and track bikes - if you don't have a lift-assisted bike park or a velodrome nearby, these seem like pretty pointless machines too.

As the old saying goes, for those who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they like.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-26-23, 12:23 AM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by whipnet
Maybe someone should make some "fat-ski's" haha.
I was wondering about that, because "ski bikes" exist.* Turns out that fat bike skis exist too, which is a cross between concepts. Looks like a lot of fun, and a little of both.

Review of the fat bike ski.

Last edited by dragoonO1; 01-26-23 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Ski bike TNGNT
Likes For dragoonO1:
Old 01-26-23, 08:29 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Even this subforum is just about the deadest place on BF.
Most people I know locally use their fat bikes exclusively in the winter, and the numbers keep gradually increasing. The growth isn't explosive anymore, but it certainly isn't a fad. Since the people I know only use it part of the year, they tend to buy one bike and use it for years without the temptation to upgrade. I'm still using the Moonlander I got in 2013, though I did convert it to 1x11.

IMO this subforum probably shouldn't even exist. I hardly ever check here because to me fat bikes are just bikes, if you use it on Mountain Bike trails talk about it in the Mountain Bike sub, if you commute talk about it in Commuting, if you ride in the winter talk about it in the Winter sub.
Old 01-27-23, 12:41 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I don't visit the Winter forum until it's winter and I'm cycling.

I don't visit the Advocacy forum unless I have an issue or like to contribute to somebody else's. In fact, someone last year (or earlier) was also complaining about that forum too.

And of course, because I'm riding my fat bike again, I'm in this forum to check what else is going on with other fat bikers.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-27-23, 01:03 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
I ride my fat bike year round. I just sit around in this forum all lonely until winter... hehe.

Likes For whipnet:
Old 02-05-23, 01:32 PM
Noonievut

Liked 267 Times in 130 Posts
First Fat ride of the season today. Rent from a guy at the trail head. I really wish our weather was conducive to winter riding more than what fees like a handful of ideal times, it is so much fun.

Last edited by Noonievut; 02-05-23 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-05-23, 01:39 PM
djb

Good for you. Late in the season no? Although I just assumed you're in Nunavut.
last week I was out trying out some different tires after a snow storm, and met a couple who had rented fatbikes for the first time, but the poor saps were having a hell of a time because the bikes had way too much pressure for the day's conditions.
Old 02-05-23, 03:02 PM
Noonievut

Liked 267 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Good for you. Late in the season no? Although I just assumed you're in Nunavut.
last week I was out trying out some different tires after a snow storm, and met a couple who had rented fatbikes for the first time, but the poor saps were having a hell of a time because the bikes had way too much pressure for the day's conditions.
Nunavut just a nickname. If I lived there I may only ride a fat bike
Old 10-21-23, 08:49 AM
LennyAK

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
e Fat Bikes

Originally Posted by KPREN
e bike has changed the fat bike market to be quite acceptable. The electric changes the fat bike experience.

I Completely Agree With This Observation - Around N. E. PA. They Are Flying Out Of The Stores - Usually Need To Place A Deposit And Wait For A Delivery
Unless You Decide To Get An Amazon Model And There Is Still A Long Wait Time...
Old 10-25-23, 10:28 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Liked 329 Times in 268 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
e bike has changed the fat bike market to be quite acceptable. The electric changes the fat bike experience. I ride mine exclusively 4,500 miles a year.
Now if I could just find someone who wanted to dump their "obsolete" non-motorized fatbike...
Old 06-17-24, 11:51 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Liked 377 Times in 223 Posts
Yes I know I'm dragging up an old thread . I can't sleep and I hurt and I am just getting started riding this year because I just got released from the doctor to ride because of foot surgery.
I just don't ride off road enough to justify the cost of the Surlys that I would like to have. Back a few years ago I ordered a single speed fat bike from bikesdirect. It was fun but really didn't get much use. I got the chance to sell it for most of my money back. I took that and ordered another bike from bikesdirect that I love but they are really dying one of the 29 plus bikes geared 3x7 or maybe 3x8 only 2 of my Surlys see more use. I will ride over stuff none of my other bike will come close to it moves better than the fat bike did. It's my exploring bike fishing bike. I've took it hunting small game a couple times.
As far as Surly I'm beginning to wonder if they will make it too the have discontinued everything that doesn't have disc breaks. Even the cross check . At 62 my Cross Check,LHT and Steamroller should out last me
Old 07-17-24, 12:11 AM
Indigo82

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Wide tire will always be wide tire. There is no decline. The only decline can be in sales and marketing of fat bikes but wide tire is still wide tire. Why people like to always refer to "season" when it comes to cycling, biking or fat biking? There is no season for fat tire. It rolls over every kind of terrain. It is the king of off road. If I want to reach from A to B, I go in straight line and don't care be it sand, field, tall grass, forest, mud, agricultural land, swamp, big loose rocks, etc. Regular mountain bike is less capable. When people talk about mountain bikes I regularly read about speed (as if racing and going fast means anything - that's kids' phrase), trails, bike parks and other man made and maintained paths. Honestly, I find that against the true ethos of free biking. With fat tire I don't need man made and maintained anything. Except the tires of course. Fat bike is truly a free bike. How can something which is free can be in decline? Freedom is limitless until people start thinking of limits (speed, trails and season).
Likes For Indigo82:
Old 08-03-24, 09:16 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Liked 329 Times in 268 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
Yes I know I'm dragging up an old thread . I can't sleep and I hurt and I am just getting started riding this year because I just got released from the doctor to ride because of foot surgery.
I just don't ride off road enough to justify the cost of the Surlys that I would like to have. Back a few years ago I ordered a single speed fat bike from bikesdirect. It was fun but really didn't get much use. I got the chance to sell it for most of my money back. I took that and ordered another bike from bikesdirect that I love but they are really dying one of the 29 plus bikes geared 3x7 or maybe 3x8 only 2 of my Surlys see more use. I will ride over stuff none of my other bike will come close to it moves better than the fat bike did. It's my exploring bike fishing bike. I've took it hunting small game a couple times.
As far as Surly I'm beginning to wonder if they will make it too the have discontinued everything that doesn't have disc breaks. Even the cross check . At 62 my Cross Check,LHT and Steamroller should out last me
What bike did you get from bikesdirect? I couldn't tell from your post.
Old 08-05-24, 01:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 4,050 Times in 2,756 Posts
Fat tires are popular among ebikers. So even if the fatbike retreats to just being a niche product, there will still parts.
Old 08-05-24, 01:16 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 438 Times in 155 Posts
To further illustrate:

This subforum, in the years of its existence, is only 8 pages deep. The second oldest post is by me, in 2016, shortly after it started, right when I was beginning to detect the moment of "peak fat" and the eventual downturn, yet when I was also contemplating building up a winter ride of my own.

After that thread, I did build one, and now live in a cycling environment of diminishing parts and tire choices. I feel like the 6 years I've had this bike have been the long, slow, twilight. When the tire manufacturers (tires being the raison d'etre of the fatbike frame) are largely taking a pass, I think maybe it really is dead.
Reminds me of when I got my first smart phone: A WinPhone. They were never popular and their ecosystem of apps was dreadful, and by the time it was time to replace mine it was obvious that "fad" had passed.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-05-24, 01:26 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Originally Posted by MarcusT
The question is; is it happening because people are not doing rides which require fat bikes or have they found a substitute bike to replace it?
I think fat tire cycling was always kind of a novelty for most people and not an everyday thing. Fat tire bikes are designed for specific conditions (sand/snow) which most cyclists either never encounter or prefer not to ride in.

You mention gravel bikes. I think they sit in kind of a sweet spot between fat tire and road bikes. Far more versatile that fatties, and suited to a wider set of conditions than road bikes. I recently bought a gravel bike and sure, it's still a new bike and all but I think it's by far the best bike I've ever owned. I can ride on the roads, various kinds of trails, and pop a curb now and then. I think people going for all out speed will go for road bikes but I think there will be a strong market for gravel bikes for some time as well.

Old 08-05-24, 01:27 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I love bicycles of every kind and have more than a dozen in my fleet. I'm always looking for different kinds of bikes that might serve a purpose or role my current bikes don't. However, the conditions that would require me to have a fatbike are conditions that I just won't ride in. My fatbike is a set of smart rollers in front of a TV.
Yeah, like that.

Old 08-05-24, 01:30 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

I remember when “gravel” bikes were called touring bikes or cyclocross bikes, depending on the details. Those were the days!

The other day I stumbled upon some article in which the author had a revelation or epiphany that “gravel” rides could even be done on a cyclocross bike, and I rolled my eyes so hard I think I strained something.
My gravel bike (Trek Checkpoint) is billed as a gravel bike but it's built as a tourer with attachment points all over the frame and fork.

Old 08-05-24, 01:38 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by prj71
Surly and their steel bikes have been dying for a while.
I tend to agree. At one time a Surly would have been my preferred bike if I bought something new. I never did until recently and now I didn't even consider Surly which nowadays seems "quaint." That ship has sailed in my opinion.

Old 08-06-24, 12:33 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by Doohickie
You mention gravel bikes. I think they sit in kind of a sweet spot between fat tire and road bikes.
Like a hybrid?
*runs away*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.