Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Super rebuild ca'74

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-23, 12:03 AM
glenfong

Liked 45 Times in 11 Posts

Originally, the frame was Verde Marino (metallic green), it was repainted and an additional water bottle mount and brake cable guides added sometime in the '80s Work was done by Medici in CA and according to them, this was the closest match to metallic green!

The workmanship was fine, but the color always bugged me until June '22 decided to update and have it resprayed to the color I remembered:

Looking inside the bottom bracket, new gear shift cable guide.

New braze-on mount for the front derailleur and the rear chain stay cable braze-on was relocated from the top to the bottom of the chain stay.

The braze-on derailleur mount was skewed off-center causing the derailleur to fail to align properly. I cobbled a jig and carefully pulled it in alignment with the chain rings.

Likes For glenfong:
Old 02-12-23, 12:17 AM
glenfong

Rear drop outs respaced to 130mm for 10-speed cassette wheels.

Dia-Compe friction shifters.

Kept the Campagnolo Nuovo Record brakes and Kool Stop brake blocks.

Old 02-12-23, 12:40 AM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts
Beautiful bike & exquisite build - elegant and understated. Enjoy!
Old 02-12-23, 04:27 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Liked 2,278 Times in 828 Posts
That’s pretty cool, and I love how you made it yours
Old 02-12-23, 06:56 AM
Innova

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, looks great. Beautiful!!!
Old 02-12-23, 07:05 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,273 Times in 1,651 Posts
That's beautiful a good looking classic build.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-12-23, 07:27 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Liked 757 Times in 463 Posts
Nice! I still covet my brother's Colnago, but I think he built it up 1975 or perhaps 1976, and his is orange. Otherwise appears similar to my untrained eye.

Originally Posted by glenfong
Looking inside the bottom bracket, new gear shift cable guide.
At the risk of digressing, can you discuss that? On a bike I am about to start on soon, I think that guide would be a big help. Where did you get it, what kind of hole/threads did you drill & tap, and are there caveats about ensuring the tip of the bolt does not foul the BB spindle or cups?

Old 02-12-23, 08:08 AM
repechage

Liked 2,916 Times in 2,053 Posts
I think the green is close enough to original, the mods, at one time these were just out of date race bikes. The bike should be rewarding to ride. Medici were a funny bunch, the color goof reads like a Gian excuse.

You did not mention if the graphics were clear coated over, if not, you might look for more correct down and seat tube sets. The Colnago font is off and at the time an equal weight all around outline was used. There are better versions available.
Old 02-12-23, 08:32 AM
Kabuki12

Liked 2,496 Times in 1,383 Posts
Nice bike. You certainly made it modern and the bike should serve you well. I would date the frame closer to 1975-1976 due to the short drop outs and fork crown treatment. I am no expert but had researched this model when I bought my ‘75. Obviously can’t go by the decals because they have been changed but the other frame details are more telling.
Old 02-12-23, 11:50 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Liked 530 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Nice bike. You certainly made it modern and the bike should serve you well. I would date the frame closer to 1975-1976 due to the short drop outs and fork crown treatment. I am no expert but had researched this model when I bought my ‘75. Obviously can’t go by the decals because they have been changed but the other frame details are more telling.
Yup. Those look like the short-lived 1010B drops that were on my '75 Super.

Old 02-12-23, 09:50 PM
glenfong

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
[QUOTE=jeirvine;22798430]Yup. Those look like the short-lived 1010B drops that were on my '75 Super.

Yes, it probably is closer to '75-'76, my ol' memory ain't what it used to be!
Wow, coming up on 47yrs for old Faithful
Good to have guys here with sharp eyes and detailed knowledge
Old 02-12-23, 09:55 PM
glenfong

Originally Posted by repechage
I think the green is close enough to original, the mods, at one time these were just out of date race bikes. The bike should be rewarding to ride. Medici were a funny bunch, the color goof reads like a Gian excuse.

You did not mention if the graphics were clear coated over, if not, you might look for more correct down and seat tube sets. The Colnago font is off and at the time an equal weight all around outline was used. There are better versions available.
Yessir, they're clear coated. The seat tube set is fine with me. My bike shop talked me into going with the seat tube graphics, it was probably all he has on hand. Plus, it should be sitting lower on the tube
Old 02-12-23, 10:14 PM
P!N20

Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Who did the recent work?

This would be a prime candidate for some Campy 10 speed indexed downtube shifters (converted bar ends,) but maybe you prefer friction.

Looks great!
Old 02-12-23, 10:22 PM
glenfong

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Nice! I still covet my brother's Colnago, but I think he built it up 1975 or perhaps 1976, and his is orange. Otherwise appears similar to my untrained eye.

At the risk of digressing, can you discuss that? On a bike I am about to start on soon, I think that guide would be a big help. Where did you get it, what kind of hole/threads did you drill & tap, and are there caveats about ensuring the tip of the bolt does not foul the BB spindle or cups?
I rebuilt my brother's Colnago that happens to be orange! I am also the caretaker of the bike since he hung up his cycling shoes years ago.

The cable guide looks like a Shimano. There's a small thin piece of sheet metal in side the bottom bracket. I believe the hole was tapped with threads to match the machine screw. The screw goes into the guide and through the bottom bracket clover leaf cut out and into the sheet metal. I was concerned about the clearance too and it clears the bottom bracket assembly. Not sure who made the fastening system but I do know that Jim Allen did the painting. I would guess he designed/installed the cable guide.

You can see the tip of the bolt sticking out of the plate at one o'clock
Another view of the cable guide:

Old 02-13-23, 03:02 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Liked 221 Times in 137 Posts
A very nice and thoughtful build and recondition. The colour is fantastic.
Old 02-13-23, 07:39 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Liked 757 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by glenfong
The cable guide looks like a Shimano. There's a small thin piece of sheet metal in side the bottom bracket. I believe the hole was tapped with threads to match the machine screw.
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised this has something that goes inside the BB shell, I would have thought you'd tap the shell. Online search shows this, no indication if it comes with the plate you mention... SHIMANO but otherwise looks ideal for a non-Colnago application I have in mind.