Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-23, 12:22 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
With 1 tooth changes, I can't tell at times.
never had that problem. Sometimes I don't know how many gears are left but always know that I've shifted.
Old 02-18-23, 12:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,839 Posts
Di2 XT(R) derailleurs work with triples.
Old 02-18-23, 12:38 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett

ignoring the old-timey nostalgia for mechanical stuff...

1. comparing like to like, they don't seem to be. for both ultegra and di2, mechanical appears to be 120-150g heavier. i'm sure there are cases where it goes the other way, but it's hardly clear cut.
2. "hard to know if you've changed gear" !?! what!? i have never experienced this, gloves or not. electronic shifting isn't totally silent, and there's the button itself, and the fact of it getting harder/easier to pedal.
3. true. not sure that'll hold over time, depends if the same forces that generally make electric things cheaper than mechanical ones will apply here
4. the "problem" is that the batteries last a long time? all things require maintenance of some sort, the electronic drivetrain requires a plug-in/charge at some interval, which is likely far less than some other things like chain cleaning, air in the tires, etc. are those also huge problems?
5. i'm a lousy mechanic, and i can't/won't replace drivetrain cable or re-index/adjust a derailleur. had to take it in to do so many times on my GRX bikes. never had to on Di2. so, a bit of maintenance vs... NONE. i get that it's nice for things to be "easy" to maintain, but eliminating that maintenance (no cable to wear out) is better.

2 out of our four bikes are mechanical derailleurs. i will not buy another bike with mechanical shifting.
Hard to know if you have changed gear?! I wonder how many people riding these days do not have a bike computer that gives a readout for gears? I find it more difficult in my gravel bike WITHOUT electronic shifting to know what gear I’m in.
Old 02-18-23, 01:59 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
So together they increase a 20 lb bike's weight by 2 to 3 lbs?

I hear 87.6% of statistical claims on bike forums are just made up.
A bike of 6.5-7kg in 2016 with rim brakes and mechanical set weights now around 7.5-8 kg with disk brakes and electronic group set of the same tier. That's why I estimated 10-15% heavier.
20lb means more than 9 kg - a much heavier bike, from another league. If it has rim brakes and mechanical group set at the level of Ultegra 2x11 or Sram Force 2x11, I would expect it to weight close to 9.9 kg with disks and electronic. The same increase, but in the lower 10% because we start from a much heavier bike.
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 02-18-23, 02:09 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,533 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You want the cycling industry to produce electronic shifting for 3x setups and 120 mm rear spacing, and he wants to know if he can get a 17 lb. bike with disc brakes and electronic shifting for $5k. How are those two situations even remotely related?
We both have bikes defined by the industry as obsolete. It doesn't matter what the spacing is. As for the systems for different DOs, cable pull is what made them different. Electronic eliminates that. The current system should work on any spacing up to the current one. It would depend on how the shifters/derailleurs are programmed. Same spacing on the cassette cogs but different amount of cogs for the different DO spacings. The system possibly could be hacked, be that still would be expensive starting out. If electronic is truly the future, then it will magically trickle down into the lower tiers. Even into the bikes at the box stores with 7/8 speed rears. It'll take a few years, but it eventually get to where the C & V can use it.

Last edited by seypat; 02-18-23 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-18-23, 02:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked 7,505 Times in 3,023 Posts
We both have bikes defined by the industry as obsolete. It doesn't matter what the spacing is. As for the systems for different DOs, cable pull is what made them different. Electronic eliminates that. The current system should work on any spacing up to the current one. It would depend on how the shifters/derailleurs are programmed. Same spacing on the cassette cogs but different amount of cogs for the different DO spacings. The system possibly could be hacked, be that still would be expensive starting out. If electronic is truly the future, then it will magically trickle down into the lower tiers. Even into the bikes at the box stores with 7/8 speed rears. It'll take a few years, but it eventually get to where the C & V can use it.
What is the relevance of any of this? I think you need to re-read the post you're citing, because the OP in that thread simply wants to buy a new bike and wants to know if he can get all the bells and whistles he wants for a certain amount of money. It has nothing to do with your issue.
Old 02-18-23, 03:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Most of these can be applied to indexed shifting, and brifters. I wonder if the author has the same feelings about those.

Oh also add derailleurs to that list.
Old 02-18-23, 04:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked 5,868 Times in 3,021 Posts
IMO, As electronic shifting becomes ubiquitous on new mid and high range bikes the technology prices may moderate. The technology will filter down to lesser expensive models and prices will reflect that as well. Friction gave way to indexed. Indexed gave way to brifters and brifters will give way to electronic if there is a buck to be made. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-18-23, 04:47 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 5,083 Times in 3,137 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
The move to electronic shifters is a great business move. I would assume the margins are higher and this is the logical extension of the move from repairable components to replaceable components.

The difference between a metal wire, an electronic wire or a wireless signal is meaningless. All systems have strengths and weaknesses, the consumer can make the decision what works for them.

Companies are not looking to help you create the best cycling experience, but rather to make money. People can be convinced of anything and with enough marketing, will do exactly as they are told.
What if companies create the best cycling experience and make money? Is that okay? Or would we prefer to be still riding Penny Farthings in 2023?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-18-23, 04:56 PM
PeteHski

I am, as are a lot of the C & V crowd. We do whatever we can to keep those older frames going. Realize that older frames could mean something from 2-3 years ago. With nothing being backwards compatible, whatever is current becomes old/obsolete with each new system. So, whatever you're riding now will suffer the same fate in 3-5 years.
So you really think there's a commercial case for producing 3x electronic drivetrains for old frames. If you are correct then it will surely happen. I'm also pretty sure none of my current bikes will suffer the same fate in the next 3-5 years.
Old 02-18-23, 05:10 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
with enough volume to spread out the development and tooling costs electronic things are generally cheaper than a capable mechanical equivalent. not sure if bike stuff reaches that scale.

it would definitely cost less to make one difference engine than one simple electronic computer. but if you had to make 10,000,000....

the same things goes for electric cars. 100 times less moving parts in the engine.
It's not so clear cut for bikes; you're eliminating shifters which are pretty tricky, but I'd say they're roughly on par with derailer servos for complexity and expense... Then you have the electronics on top of that... But yeah, being generous, it's hard to see the electrickery in a Di2 group (derailers aside) costing more than $100 to make; it's probably a lot less than that if you consider most of the R&D to be already paid for.
Old 02-18-23, 05:28 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
A bike of 6.5-7kg in 2016 with rim brakes and mechanical set weights now around 7.5-8 kg with disk brakes and electronic group set of the same tier. That's why I estimated 10-15% heavier.
20lb means more than 9 kg - a much heavier bike, from another league. If it has rim brakes and mechanical group set at the level of Ultegra 2x11 or Sram Force 2x11, I would expect it to weight close to 9.9 kg with disks and electronic. The same increase, but in the lower 10% because we start from a much heavier bike.
Electronic shifting adds no appreciable weight. My Di2 rim brake bike is 6.14kg.

It's the disc brakes which really mess with the purity; frameset and front wheel need to be beefier.

Actually, Di2 is good for weight distribution - it takes weight out of the levers and replaces it with a battery you can put in the bottom of the seat tube. So my bike feels lighter than it would as mechanical at the same weight.

Last edited by Kimmo; 02-18-23 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-18-23, 05:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,839 Posts
Yeah, there were a heck of a lot of 14.3 lb bikes in 2016. Excellent point. They also had weightless derailleurs, shifters and brake calipers.
Old 02-18-23, 05:50 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Electronic shifting adds no appreciable weight. My Di2 rim brake bike is 6.14kg.

It's the disc brakes which really mess with the purity; frameset and front wheel need to be beefier.
Also we can now run fatter heavier tyres, which we all prefer, don't we?
Old 02-18-23, 05:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3312 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,216 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
IMO, As electronic shifting becomes ubiquitous on new mid and high range bikes the technology prices may moderate. The technology will filter down to lesser expensive models and prices will reflect that as well. Friction gave way to indexed. Indexed gave way to brifters and brifters will give way to electronic if there is a buck to be made. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
I doubt the prices will moderate at all, bikes with electronic will just be very expensive as they are now and high end mechanical will cease to exist, excepting a boutique company like Campy.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-18-23, 06:27 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by PeteHski
So you really think there's a commercial case for producing 3x electronic drivetrains for old frames. If you are correct then it will surely happen. I'm also pretty sure none of my current bikes will suffer the same fate in the next 3-5 years.
No, I'm still probably out of luck unless I were to give up the 3x. But, there's definitely a market for reducing the cogs on the current cassettes, reprogramming the same shifters/derailleurs and selling them to fit in past spacing. All this alongside the latest and greatest. No new technology needed at all. The companies couldn't sell the matching disc brakes, but think of all those new hubs/wheels/etc to go along with the shifting. I have around 10 bikes that would be convertable if the price was right and 3X was an option. Lots of people out there like me.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-18-23, 06:32 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 798 Posts
Bottom line: Cyclist Magazine doesn't pay well, and Pete Muir can't afford electronic shifting. He's a bitter man.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-18-23, 06:34 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I can also argue that my stick-shift transmission (1998 Saturn SL) is superior to an automatic transmission, but market forces have made a stickshift nearly impossible to find on a new car too.

problem is you’d lose that argument. Modern dual clutch “automatic” transmission is vastly superior to a manual transmission by any objective measure. It’s more fuel efficient; shifts faster than is humanly possible for a manual; improves performance; increases longevity, and allows driver assists like auto hold, and adaptive cruise control.

I have had many cars with manual transmissions, and a number with PDK’s. It simply no contest; by any objective measure the “automatic” is better.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 02-18-23, 06:36 PM
seypat

As a follow-up, why not a new bike/frame? Well, I'm 5'8" and 200lb ish depending on the day. Built like Chris Hoy, not Chris Froome. 26-27" ish quads. I've sat on some of the new frames. They're getting too thick/wide, particularly where the TT meets the head tube. Not enough room in that imaginary rectangular cube between the TT junctions at each end. Having some clearance/contact issues. That's life, I'll deal with it.

Last edited by seypat; 02-18-23 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-18-23, 07:54 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
problem is you’d lose that argument. Modern dual clutch “automatic” transmission is vastly superior to a manual transmission by any objective measure. It’s more fuel efficient; shifts faster than is humanly possible for a manual; improves performance; increases longevity, and allows driver assists like auto hold, and adaptive cruise control.

The car analogy you're looking for is power door locks, windows and seats. Manually operated systems for these accomplish the exact same end result, and are more simple, cheaper and do the same thing without all the little motors and sensors. Most people prefer the electronic versions, but I guarantee somewhere out there on a car forum right now you'll find a bunch of vintage car owners railing about how modern cars suck because of all the added weight, expense and complexity of unnecessary electronic gimmicks.

Electronic shifting on bikes is like that. When is the last time you saw a new car with manual locks or windows?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-18-23, 10:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,045 Posts
Just like modern refrig, all the goofy things the manufacturers put in them. Look at the schematic of a refrig without ice and water through the door versus the ones with indoor this and that, wifi, TV screens, not to mention the french door types. Stupid expensive, overly complex, and a pain to repair. However, while I have a plain jane refrig, I like my electronic shifting.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-19-23, 01:42 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
What if companies create the best cycling experience and make money? Is that okay? Or would we prefer to be still riding Penny Farthings in 2023?
Best experience ,depends of what you call best experience in terms over the long run reliability and servicability,I am not talking about professional roadbike racers. What if the battery is dead and that you are stuck ina steep hill or far away from home? Well you are on your own. I also read that you could program di2 with a computer for better shifting, but definitely not for me.
Likes For georges1:
Old 02-19-23, 05:24 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by georges1
Best experience ,depends of what you call best experience in terms over the long run reliability and servicability,I am not talking about professional roadbike racers. What if the battery is dead and that you are stuck ina steep hill or far away from home? Well you are on your own. I also read that you could program di2 with a computer for better shifting, but definitely not for me.
I don't think battery anxiety is a big deal, but I do have a preference for SRAM in that it has individual FD and RD batteries. If the RD battery fails, you can then swap with the FD battery and at least have rear shifting. Or if you are really paranoid you could easily carry a spare battery as they are compact and light. Di2 is not so easy in that regard with a single large battery.

Having had electronic shifting for a year now, I'm not wishing to go back to mechanical. I was never in love with the feel of mechanical brifters and this is a much better solution IMO. Maybe it's not the best solution for someone touring Africa or South America unaided, but it works fine for daily rides near civilisation.
Old 02-19-23, 05:49 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I am not sure if you are just making those numbers up or are lying.

The weight differential from SRAM Red rim 11 speed to SRAM Red AXS (12 speed) hydraulic disc is exactly 272 grams. Overall, rims are lighter but several more spokes and a slightly heavier fork. Both rim and disc braked bikes can be built to the UCI limit. It has never been easy to get to the 6,5kg figure you state, this is weightweenie territory. I have a 58 cm Cervelo with 12 speed AXS rim and a 61 cm Felt AR with 12 Speed AXS HRD, and the weight difference is about 250 grams or 0.52834 pounds.

My disc brake bike rims are much lighter.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-19-23, 05:51 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I always carry a spare SRAM battery and in perhaps 40,000 or so miles, I have never needed to use it.
Likes For GhostRider62:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.