Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-23, 10:24 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Cool find! Never saw one when I lived in Germany. Sorry, can’t help with dating this bike other then to say it looks like a bike boom 70’s model.

Has the rear seat stay been welded?
Old 02-01-23, 12:09 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Well this fell into the "I've never had one or seen one" category so I had to pick it up. German made Staiger Trento 70 year anniversary edition. Heavy tank and not the highest quality, but it had some cool features. Huret Svelto RD, half step double crank and a Daimon front light that works really well. Anyone know a good way to find a date for this one?

Nice looking '70's bike for sure. The foil labels are the easy give away. If anyone wants to make a bike look like the '70's use foil labels. The other subtle way is the arch or bend in the fork and of course the cottered crank. Although I will admit that you will see them on 80's and even 90's low end bikes.

The caliper arm usually have date codes on the back sides. Check other components as well. Wienmann had simple date codes with the year in the center of the clock face and the month on the dial.

I am not loving the two color spiral wrap or the seat clamp on the forward side of the seat, but other than that, it looks like a great old vintage bike. Is the brake bridge welded to the seat stay? Is that the discoloration that we are seeing, or is something else going on there?
Old 02-01-23, 01:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by evwxxx

Campy super record pedals (titanium axles), wahoo! Broken-off “mounting” tab on both pedals, boohoo,,,
Campagnolo should have copied Zeus, and made the cages from titanium instead of aluminum. Only slightly heavier, but much more durable. Here's another casualty:
Old 02-01-23, 05:23 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Campagnolo should have copied Zeus, and made the cages from titanium instead of aluminum. Only slightly heavier, but much more durable. Here's another casualty:
ouch!
Old 02-01-23, 05:39 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Well this fell into the "I've never had one or seen one" category so I had to pick it up. German made Staiger Trento 70 year anniversary edition. Heavy tank and not the highest quality, but it had some cool features. Huret Svelto RD, half step double crank and a Daimon front light that works really well. Anyone know a good way to find a date for this one?

I recall the Trento name on bikes sold in the base PX back in my Air Force days in the early '70s. I even got one briefly from a buddy shipping out but I wasn't much of a cyclist at the time.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-02-23, 10:43 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
These are actual "Barn finds" I think the green Schwinn will cleanup nicely with a phosphoric acid and Penetrol treament.

The black Racer frame will need a full soak to get rid of the rust. I think it might be fun with all the rusty component's replaced with aluminum and chrome. I think 26'" beach cruiser rims might work with some trickery.

Yes the chrome monster has a bent fork. And frame. But its got plenty of donor parts that will help get some other wrecks out of the pile, and check out the reach on those centerpulls....

Last edited by bark_eater; 02-02-23 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-02-23, 05:38 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Nice looking '70's bike for sure. The foil labels are the easy give away. If anyone wants to make a bike look like the '70's use foil labels. The other subtle way is the arch or bend in the fork and of course the cottered crank. Although I will admit that you will see them on 80's and even 90's low end bikes.

The caliper arm usually have date codes on the back sides. Check other components as well. Wienmann had simple date codes with the year in the center of the clock face and the month on the dial.

I am not loving the two color spiral wrap or the seat clamp on the forward side of the seat, but other than that, it looks like a great old vintage bike. Is the brake bridge welded to the seat stay? Is that the discoloration that we are seeing, or is something else going on there?
Yes the spiral wrap needs to go. I was on the fence about it, but nope I need a cleaner look. And yes the bridge is welded and the rack is bolted to it also. It's going to take a little clean up, but it has a unique charm. It's a heavy tank though. I would love to get a history on it somehow. I've had read a few things that said they were never sold in the US and many of them came back with military guys.
Old 02-06-23, 01:40 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
This ones a little sad. Its a Kabuki Super Speed with "butted" HiTen... Its a one owner bike. Unfortunately said owner tossed it in the trailer first, and then loaded the rest of the scrap on top. I got caught peeking and the guy gave it to me. Unfortunately it got a dent and a bend in the top tube at least, and with the cast aluminum "luggs" I'm not gong to mess with it. I'm excited about the Tourney GS rear derailleur and the Shimano derailleur protector axle cap. Its got a couple other bike boom era bits on it that may see the open road again.

Last edited by bark_eater; 02-06-23 at 01:55 PM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 02-19-23, 10:16 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Icicle, Icicle,
I want to ride my Icicle
I want to ride my bike
i want to ride my Icicle
I want to ride it well...

Icicle, good name for a bike I didn't tell the Mrs. about.
Old 02-19-23, 01:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Icicle, Icicle,
I want to ride my Icicle
I want to ride my bike
i want to ride my Icicle

Very "cool", I would guess very few here have an Alaskan made bike?

Looks like Merz or bulgie may have worked that crank over.

Last edited by merziac; 02-19-23 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-19-23, 02:52 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Icicle, Icicle,
I want to ride my Icicle
I want to ride my bike
i want to ride my Icicle

How do you hide a bicycle that big from your wife?

Did you find it discarded someplace?
Old 02-19-23, 03:01 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
I've never seen the front derailleur on the captain's crank before!
I don't see how it would work like that. My guess is whoever put it together last was a bit confused.
Old 02-19-23, 06:49 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
daverup, Plenty of bikes have been built with this arrangement. Most have a support cam roller for the chain to prevent droop when riding. If the rear derailleur has enough wrap-up it would not be needed. The pictures show the chain off the front chainrings hence the loose looking chain with droop. Smiles, MH
Old 02-19-23, 09:52 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Thanks MH, I'm starting to see it now.
Old 02-20-23, 09:49 AM
daywood 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 96 Posts
I believe I would still try swapping the drive crank and front derailleur onto the stoker seat tube to reduce the amount of play in the chain. It looks like there’s clearance for it there. Also, that has to be the tallest stoker cockpit I have ever seen!
Old 02-20-23, 07:31 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Originally Posted by daywood
I believe I would still try swapping the drive crank and front derailleur onto the stoker seat tube to reduce the amount of play in the chain. It looks like there’s clearance for it there. Also, that has to be the tallest stoker cockpit I have ever seen!
I have a Scott Paisley here in the shop that is every bit as large for the stoker. I think it is a thing only the builder and buyer would do for a final product. Smiles, MH
Old 02-20-23, 08:05 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Omg, I can't find a thing on the Icicle tandem. I've been looking, so far I found the Icicle Bicycle Club and their pictures of outings lol. A bunch of MTB pictures, a bunch of frozen bike pictures. I'll have to investigate more later my head is spinning from worthless drivel.

Yes the Alaska Icicle is an odd duck with the triple on front station, with over bb braze-on guides. The long chain must have have slap to to it. I'd have some more pictures but I've run out of town for the short being.

Now to the next point... the Mrs. how does that work out? a new tandem under wraps, yep. Well, It starts with a 'don't ask, don't tell'. Moves forward to a 'no go zone'. And then gradually I say things like 'yes I got a new bike at the sale, not that great. I just put it in the (no go zone) garage'. And all is well, as long as I can get creative with my stories, I mean storage all is well.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 02-20-23, 10:32 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Omg, I can't find a thing on the Icicle tandem. I've been looking, so far I found the Icicle Bicycle Club and their pictures of outings lol. A bunch of MTB pictures, a bunch of frozen bike pictures. I'll have to investigate more later my head is spinning from worthless drivel.

Yes the Alaska Icicle is an odd duck with the triple on front station, with over bb braze-on guides. The long chain must have have slap to to it. I'd have some more pictures but I've run out of town for the short being.

Now to the next point... the Mrs. how does that work out? a new tandem under wraps, yep. Well, It starts with a 'don't ask, don't tell'. Moves forward to a 'no go zone'. And then gradually I say things like 'yes I got a new bike at the sale, not that great. I just put it in the (no go zone) garage'. And all is well, as long as I can get creative with my stories, I mean storage all is well.
Credit for the first fat bike looking anything at all like today’s fat bike probably has to go to Steve Baker of Alaska’s Icicle Bicycles who first welded standard mountain-bike rims together and Roger Cowles, then a University of Alaska Anchorage student.
https://craigmedred.news/2016/02/26/made-in-alaska-fad/
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/steve-baker-icicle-bicycles.855673/

Last edited by curbtender; 02-20-23 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-21-23, 02:21 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Ste...icycles&ia=web
Old 02-21-23, 09:39 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

I've mentioned this one in the 3-speeds thread, a battered Raleigh Tourist that was in the discard pile outside the old co-op location after they moved the good stuff to a new location. It's rough, but some folks are interested in the bones so I dragged it home to check it out. Broken fork, rusted other stuff but a good frame and some parts, including a 40H Sturmey hub. It won't go to the dump.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-21-23, 09:52 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I've mentioned this one in the 3-speeds thread, a battered Raleigh Tourist that was in the discard pile outside the old co-op location after they moved the good stuff to a new location. It's rough, but some folks are interested in the bones so I dragged it home to check it out. Broken fork, rusted other stuff but a good frame and some parts, including a 40H Sturmey hub. It won't go to the dump.
Ohh!! If the chain case is decent-ish I would love to have it!
Old 02-21-23, 10:50 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by RustyJames
Ohh!! If the chain case is decent-ish I would love to have it!
I regret to inform you that it is not, but your screen name certainly qualifies you to have it. Both the chaincase and the left fork blade suffered the most from exposure and are probably useless, the fork moreso for missing the lower half of that blade. The chaincase, by comparison, is only moderately ruined.

It's a nice relic but I don't really need more crap in the garage so if you can use this you may have it. I don't expect anyone would fight you for it.
Old 02-21-23, 05:55 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I regret to inform you that it is not, but your screen name certainly qualifies you to have it. Both the chaincase and the left fork blade suffered the most from exposure and are probably useless, the fork moreso for missing the lower half of that blade. The chaincase, by comparison, is only moderately ruined.

It's a nice relic but I don't really need more crap in the garage so if you can use this you may have it. I don't expect anyone would fight you for it.
That is a crusty critter. I think it’s too crusty for me. (shock! horror!!) Thank you for the offer.
Old 02-25-23, 03:14 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Picked-up these freebies today. My love for NorCal mtb's continues with my first Santa Cruz. Heckler X from around 2000. Cannondale model I have no idea as it's tt is pretty scratched and the decals are gone. Probably one of the M models. Both seem to have upgrades here and there. Fork on the Cannondale is definitely not original. I think this came rigid. Girvin crank,XT rd. Santa Cruz has some Titec, Azonic, etc.etc. All suspension parts on both are moving but we'll see when I rebuild both. Garaged so I'm not too worried about anything seized.
IMG_2930 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_2935 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 02-26-23, 01:33 AM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 182 Posts
Fished myself a 36H Campagnolo Record high flange hub today for $10 from the co-op. It has some odd OLD spacing (128mm), but that can be fixed with the removal of some extra washers. I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't come with a skewer, so I'll have to dig through their drawers another time. For now, it will serve as a handy paper weight until I find some use for it.
Likes For philpeugeot:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.