Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-23, 12:16 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
this kind of ridiculous. First, brake cables are thicker and more robust than shifter cables for a reason. Second the system is redundant, you have two brakes, either of which will stop you before flailing into oblivion. Third, worst case scenario, you stop the bike with a foot on the front tire behind the forks.

my best estimate is that I’ve ridden about 200,000 miles, a good portion of those in the high alps, Colorado Rockies, Appalachian mountains and Sierra Nevadas. In that time, I’ve never had a cable break on a rim brake. Or have I heard of any teammate or acquaintance have such a failure.

Conversely, it’s not very difficult to boil hydraulic fluid to the point you hydraulic discs don’t work if you use bad technique.

to the extent your post wasn’t intended to be facetious, in which case I fell hook line and sinker, if not it’s way over the top fear mongering.
The message behind was that, as long as you don’t see broken brake cables, it is much harder to see broken shifting cables. Because even if shifting cables might have half of the resistance of braking cables, they handle much, much smaller forces.
Old 02-27-23, 05:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 1,087 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
The message behind was that, as long as you don’t see broken brake cables, it is much harder to see broken shifting cables. Because even if shifting cables might have half of the resistance of braking cables, they handle much, much smaller forces.
The converse may be true due to the tight radius bend taken by shifter cables in contemporary (i.e., 11 speed) STI levers. I have heard of several instances of broken shifter cables but never a broken brake cable until this BF thread.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-28-23, 04:24 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If the drivetrain companies really wanted to sell me electronic products, here's what they should do. Take whatever system they have and offer me a version of it for each DO spacing from 120 to the present. Use the same shifters/derailleurs on each. Offer it in 1x, 2x and 3x. The only thing different would be the number of gears in the back and the way the system is programmed. With no cable needed, it would be easy to do. No extra skus either except for the different cassettes or crankset options. I would be far more likely to upgrade a bike or two that way than what is currently offered. What am I missing?

This might sound like a talking head to some though. Maybe I should stop making sense.
Shimano moving a step closer. I'm still out of luck. No electronic or 3x yet.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shima...XVRuKuxnm8d43A

Last edited by seypat; 02-28-23 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-01-23, 06:12 PM
MykGrant

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Pro, Trek Fuel

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
My road bike has Di2 and I absolutely love it! I'd like to convert my MTB over too.

However.... I must be a gadget guy since I also have rear facing radar and love that also. Currently, my Gamin Edge is connected to: 1) heart rate monitor, 2) cadence sensor, 3) Di2, 4) rear facing radar and 5) my phone. Plus, on my phone I"m running Strava. I have a single crank Stages Power meter as well but have not had much luck getting it synced. I feel a bit like a science experiment but as long as I'm having a good time no big deal.
Old 03-01-23, 06:43 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked 3,226 Times in 1,843 Posts
I've had one brake cable fail in use in the 60-ish years I've been riding bikes. Front brake; the cable wires pulled out of the molded-on end. Definitely a freak occurrence, since I'm evidently the only one reporting such a failure.
Old 03-02-23, 05:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7734 Post(s)
Liked 3,671 Times in 1,938 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've had one brake cable fail in use in the 60-ish years I've been riding bikes. Front brake; the cable wires pulled out of the molded-on end. Definitely a freak occurrence, since I'm evidently the only one reporting such a failure.
or Maybe ... <cue dramatic music> ... The Only One Who Survived.

Big Bike and its coverups ... will we ever know the truth?
Old 03-04-23, 04:01 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
My ride today reminded me of my favorite reason for electronic shifting. It's much easier for me when my hands are cold; especially when I can't feel my fingers.
Likes For ummed:
Old 03-04-23, 08:57 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Trying to picture.. you can shift while hard braking (therefore not pedaling)?
Sure can, it's great fun. But you have to pedal. You don't need to actually put any drive through (although that can help prevent locking up the rear if you're using it), you just need to turn the cranks.
Old 03-04-23, 09:02 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Kimmo brakes so hard that rear wheel is lifted off the ground such that Kimmo can keep pedaling to shift chain onto larger cog of cassette.

The new Danny MacAskill. Although the above move may be easier to achieve with regularly cabled (i.e., left lever to front caliper) brakes.
/rolls eyes
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 03-04-23, 09:04 PM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I do this too if it's an expected slow-down, like rolling up to a stoplight. I think most experienced riders do this instinctively to avoid being in too tall of a gear once they start pedaling again.

Doing this while braking hard seems ridiculous though.
Ridiculous is context dependent.

If your favourite way to ride is like a courier through a city, basically going as hard as you can through a moving obstacle course, then it makes perfect sense.
Old 03-04-23, 09:08 PM
Kimmo

Also trying to picture how that's better than braking with one hand and shifting with the other.
It depends which side your front brake is on.

But it struck me pretty hard after getting used to this move, that it's at least half the point of the swinging brake lever, and vastly unsung.
Old 03-05-23, 08:06 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Electronic shifting is better in every single way lol.

This must be the new disk brake debate...
Old 03-05-23, 08:15 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Also trying to picture how that's better than braking with one hand and shifting with the other.
I used to shift both the chainring and freewheel with my right thumb and index finger while braking with the left hand but then they put the controls up on the bars, too far away to conveniently reach if one hand. In certain terrain, braking and shifting both are certainly better than just shifting the RD. Better is subjective. To me? Much better.
Old 03-05-23, 08:55 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

To me threads like this just emphasize one important fact---there is only One Way to properly ride a bicycle ... and none of us have found it yet.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-05-23, 10:34 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP

New? It definitely preceded disc brakes.
Old 03-05-23, 12:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 7,666 Times in 3,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
To me threads like this just emphasize one important fact---there is only One Way to properly ride a bicycle ... and none of us have found it yet.
I have -- I'm just waiting for the rest of the world to figure it out.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-06-23, 03:05 AM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by InvertedMP

As awesome as it is, it can't possibly be better in every way.

The complexity of it is ridiculous from a standpoint of purity and elegance of design.

And the tactile feedback? Lol
Old 03-06-23, 04:07 AM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I agree, very rarely is something better in every way than [especially] the popular alternatives. There are are almost always at least technical tradeoffs as well as subjective criteria. Electronic shifting and disc brakes are not immune.
Old 03-06-23, 04:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 3,200 Posts

The complexity of it is ridiculous from a standpoint of purity and elegance of design.

A simple electric motor and microswitch is hardly complex. As a mechanical engineer, I would argue that a mechanical brifter is more complicated.

Elegance of design - seriously? There's nothing elegant to me in a cable operated derailleur, especially a front one. Bike manufacturers went to great lengths to hide unsightly cables, so eliminating them entirely is a better solution. That's my only issue with Shimano Di2 i.e. not being completely wireless.

Tactile feedback! LOL. Electronic shifting still feels quite mechanical, but now you don't have to suffer with floppy brake levers and a completely different feel between upshifts and downshifts.

The only real downside for the moment is the extra cost, but groups like Rival are making that less of an issue. At this point I would honestly choose SRAM Rival over DuraAce mechanical.
Old 03-06-23, 05:24 AM
Maelochs

Purity and elegance of design.

Okay.

Didn't know they were engineering terms.

An excellent design can be manufactured, installed, and operated for a long time at low cost with complete effective function. I have had an Ultegra shifter destroy itself internally when a cable snapped and the ball end wedged itself into the workings. Not sure of the "purity" of writing a fat check for a replacement.

An electronic shifter is ... a switch. Simple, elegant, almost primitive. The only complex part is the mechanical brake lever. What is "impure" about a simple electric switch? Should we get them sterilized so they will be "pure"?

There is the atavistic attitude of "Whatever was the standard when I started cycling is good enough," but other than a very few C&V types, Everyone likes at least some of the advances in cycling. I don't pass a lot of pennyfarthings ..... Arguments about "elegance" and "purity" are code for "preference without logical foundation".

Nothing wrong with that. If you like steel bikes with downtube shifters or whatever, that is entirely valid. Just don't try to convince the rest of us that what you like is somehow more "pure' and "perfect" just because it is primitive. It is "better" for you because it rings some bells ... like music and personal-activity partners .... if ti makes your thing swing, it does, end of story. But ... it is only "better" for you.

I was watching Paris-Roubaix yesterday .... a race bike with no bags, low seat stays, and the rider laid out long and flat is a thing of beauty--to me. Some folks would see bulky brifters at odd angles and weird-shaped tubes. Some would see the racing bikes of the '60s. '70s, or whatever era as "pure" and "elegant" ..... and then you see a photo of some guy on a single-speed with a tubular wrapped around his chest and a six-ounce metal water bottle with a cork stopper .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-06-23, 09:15 AM
Hawkeye83

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got my first electronically-shifted bike a few days ago, a used Domane 5.9 with Di2. New to road biking so am going to test that out against a Motobecane titanium-frame bike with SRAM Red components. Preparing for RAGBRAI in approximately 4 months, my first time. Previously just an occasional mountain biker and casual biker. So far I do really like the Di2 shifting, in the little bit I've used it so far. Haven't tried the other bike yet.
Likes For Hawkeye83:
Old 03-06-23, 09:36 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
I'm really glad you all finally settled this. I was worried you wouldn't get here. Congratulations everyone, good job. The best answer won out in the end
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-06-23, 10:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts

They can put an audible click if that is what you are missing.

An electronic shifter is infinitely simpler than a mechanical brifter. What is the design spec for purity and elegance. My SRAM Red AXS RD is butt ugly. But it is better in every way compared to past RDs in my stable.
Old 03-06-23, 10:42 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1287 Post(s)
Liked 1,419 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
A simple electric motor and microswitch is hardly complex. As a mechanical engineer, I would argue that a mechanical brifter is more complicated.

Elegance of design - seriously? ….
mechanical brifters and the derailleurs that go with them seem incredibly complex to me.

if you discount the incredible industry/progress that went into making integrated circuits ubiquitous, the electronic version seems much, much, much simpler. switch, battery, circuit, motor, arrange and program as desired.
Old 03-06-23, 11:35 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I actually think most this thread is ridiculous.
This is BikeForums.net...^^^that's implicit.
Likes For Bob Ross:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.