Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

50 Years Ago: March 1973 in Bicycling! magazine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-23, 06:36 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 1,020 Posts

Articles/columns included are:
LETTERS
"All About 3-Speeds"
QUESTION MAN

The following articles from this issue were posted previously:
ROAD TEST: ITALVEGA Super Speciale (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-speciale.html)
ROAD TEST: PEUGEOT PX-10 (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-px-10-a.html)
PRODUCT TESTS: SHIMANO Crane Rear Derailleur and SCHWINN Self-Energizing Disc Brakes (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-crane-gs.html)
"New Phil Wood Products" (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-products.html)

As usual, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll add it in a reply to this post or send you a pdf.
If the latter, just send me a PM that includes your email address.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 03-05-23, 07:52 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I actually have a N.O.S. 3-speed from '73 that has never been assembled, so seeing this was really enjoyable!
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 03-05-23, 08:35 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked 2,093 Times in 1,146 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Thanks for sharing! I actually have a N.O.S. 3-speed from '73 that has never been assembled, so seeing this was really enjoyable!
Will you be removing the source of the dreaded rattle?😉
Old 03-05-23, 12:50 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,673 Times in 1,684 Posts
I love the 70s era articles. A completely different set of bicycling priorities!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-05-23, 01:26 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 676 Posts
very interesting and thanks for sharingI also like the woman in the ad
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-05-23, 01:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked 4,044 Times in 2,622 Posts
Chilling. That photo of the young lady on that Lambert and the following ad. I bought that gold (just a regular Grand Prix, gold paint) Lambert early that following summer. Loved it. Rode it that August from Boston to Detroit via Niagara Falls and Ontario. Club raced it 1976. It broke - that famous fork - November 1977 and made me instantly famous in the Boston race community.

That day I was going to meet with the owner of Open Air Cycles known for leading crazy back country rides west of Boston. Meeting at his girlfriend's house. (She was my riding partner of that summer. Knew right away when I didn't show that something bad happened.) That was Thursday. The next Tuesday was the NEBC Annual Dinner and awards. I suspect I was the focus that night and that all knew I was still in a coma.

Next winter when I talked of returning to racing, I had every door opened for me. Rollers at a fellow rider's house that I could walk to and and ride until they judged my skills as now being street worthy again. Getting me a job at Cambridge's big bike shop that had just started sponsoring the club. (Assembling bikes with an older Greek mechanic who patiently gave me the time to re-learn how to hold and use tools.) Racing. My biggest fan was the District Rep. (She was at the awards dinner.)

That Rep, Grace Jones watched me finish 10th, 2nd in the field sprint, at the States. Upgraded me to Cat 2 when I asked so I could qualify for the Mt Washington road race as my final race of my last season after which I was going to focus on putting my life back together. I was only about halfway, points-wise to the upgrade and with my accident and the huge hit my conditioning took, couldn't get those points in the spring Vermont races where I naturally shine. She watched me that August start Cat 1-2 criteriums, get dropped in a lap or two, keep riding until Lynn Lemaire, the star TT'er or NEBC and reigning National champ left the woman's field and passed me. I'd jump on her wheel and hang there until the 1-2s came up from behind, then drop out, ignominiously lapped. (Great speed work though! Thanks, Lynn.)

The Mt Washington Road Race. It was an odd year. A bank in Nashua, NH sponsored the race and the route was changed from the high White Mountains to a point to point riding north from almost the Massachusetts border. Small field. Cool and very windy, NW wind so about as hard and shelter free as you can get. Half way, there was a surge, the winning break got away and I was dropped. I didn't give up and stayed out in the lane so the following race van couldn't pass me. Grace Jones got to see all of this from the passenger seat. I eventually caught the next dropped rider, we caught 3 more and re-joined. I finished in the field. Mission accomplished. Grace got to see me race one more time, the next weekend. A race around Martha's Vineyard that was pure fun on a glorious late September day. (And the night before, I'd watched Mohammad Ali box his final fight fight in my motel room. Fitting.)

That photo bring back a lot. The last of my old life and the event that started the new one.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-05-23 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-05-23, 01:50 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 2,354 Times in 1,136 Posts
I'm always interested in the letters portions of these old magazine scans. Some of the things readers wrote about, if posted in a forum like this would have pages of arguments within hours. Back then you had to wait a month to argue with a stranger.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-05-23, 02:36 PM
sfazio 

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1978 Peugeot UE8, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1970 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 2012 Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing--what a great read
Old 06-14-23, 12:54 AM
glenfong

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Articles/columns included are:
LETTERS
"All About 3-Speeds"
QUESTION MAN

The following articles from this issue were posted previously:
ROAD TEST: ITALVEGA Super Speciale (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-speciale.html)
ROAD TEST: PEUGEOT PX-10 (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-px-10-a.html)
PRODUCT TESTS: SHIMANO Crane Rear Derailleur and SCHWINN Self-Energizing Disc Brakes (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-crane-gs.html)
"New Phil Wood Products" (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-products.html)

As usual, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll add it in a reply to this post or send you a pdf.
If the latter, just send me a PM that includes your email address.

Thanks for posting this issue SpeedofLite! That's me 50 years ago! Wow, hard to believe. This was taken during the Elysian Park Novice race in Los Angeles. I must have been an easy subject since I was probably trailing the field at that point My brother went to the local bike shop and bought every copy. Remember Dr. Hook's record "On the Cover of the Rolling Stone"? "Gonna buy 5 copies for my mother".

The jersey, shorts and gloves were all made by my mother (God bless her creativity and sewing machine!).

Still rolling to this day. Here's a shot of Phoenix in the background from Dobbins Lookout at South Mountain during the annual Phoenix Turkey Day Ride (2021):

Last edited by glenfong; 06-14-23 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-14-23, 06:18 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 2,330 Times in 1,306 Posts
Thank you for posting. In 1973 I was living in Goleta , California and riding my “ten speed” for transportation . Even back then the Santa Barbara and Goleta area were very bike friendly. There were actual bike paths that could take you right out to the beach or from neighborhood to neighborhood. I see some contributions of ads and the cover picture are from that area. This really brings back memories. I would like to see the Phil Woods piece if you have a chance. Oh! The picture of the girl in short shorts and go-go boots is priceless!!

Last edited by Kabuki12; 06-14-23 at 06:21 AM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-14-23, 08:54 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Thank you for posting. I would like to see the Phil Woods piece if you have a chance.
You're welcome. Check the original post. The hyperlink shown adjacent to the Phil Wood article title is still active.
Or are you asking for a pdf copy? If so, let me know.

Old 06-14-23, 09:26 AM
SpeedofLite 

Originally Posted by glenfong
Thanks for posting this issue SpeedofLite! That's me 50 years ago! Wow, hard to believe. This was taken during the Elysian Park Novice race in Los Angeles. I must have been an easy subject since I was probably trailing the field at that point My brother went to the local bike shop and bought every copy. Remember Dr. Hook's record "On the Cover of the Rolling Stone"? "Gonna buy 5 copies for my mother". The jersey, shorts and gloves were all made by my mother (God bless her creativity and sewing machine!). Still rolling to this day.
How freaking cool! When I started posting articles from my magazine collection to Bike Forums (C&V mainly) in 2019, I had hoped I'd see posts from everyday bike people telling us "Hey! That's me!" or something like that. Your photo and your story definitely made my day, if not my week or month too (remains to be seen). Of course, we do have a few BF members who are well-known in the bike world and widely admired whose names and/or photos appear in these articles occasionally, but I think you're the first "Hey! That's me!" guy.
And with a nod to Dr. Hook, we can see it now, you on Dobbins Lookout, smilin' Man, oh beautiful!

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 06-14-23, 12:14 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I love the 70s era articles. A completely different set of bicycling priorities!
I agree, completely. These and the years preceding were just different and were soon thereafter lost.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 06-14-23, 07:51 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 2,330 Times in 1,306 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
You're welcome. Check the original post. The hyperlink shown adjacent to the Phil Wood article title is still active.
Or are you asking for a pdf copy? If so, let me know.
thank you. Yes , they are still active, I must have overlooked that.