Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Handlebar with more modern shape?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 06:40 AM
curiousabe

Liked 113 Times in 28 Posts

Looking for a different handlebar with a more modern shape, i.e. not as big of a drop and flat tops. The handlebar I have now feel too big in all dimensions and I dont like the ergo shape ;(

Any suggestions? Has to be 38 or 40cm wide with 26mm clamp size, perferbly in silver. The Soma HWY 1 looks perfect but am having a hard time finding one available in Europe.

Likes For curiousabe:
Old 03-10-23, 09:11 AM
Mr. 66

Liked 1,852 Times in 1,008 Posts
That is a very long stem you have 120-130 mm, I would try a 90-100mm before new bars.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-10-23, 09:43 AM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Liked 128 Times in 44 Posts
The Soma Highway one comes very recommended. I came from a Cinelle Nerve ergobar in 42cm and went for the Soma in 38cm and it was a lovely experience, standing on the first climb and feeling that compact handlebar.
You can buy it in the Soma webshop, but I think only with credit card. On Ebay they are for sale as well for a similar price.
The bend is a bit sharp, so it takes a bit of care moving it through a quill stem.

There is also the Nitto M151f handlebar in compact size and 40cm, probably 38cm too. I wan't sure if the reach was 7,5cm or 8cm or 8,5cm, I saw different measurements listed and the photo's didn't give me any clarity. For a safe bet I went with the Soma.

/edit
Just checked, the Nitto M151f should exist in 38cm, but I cannot easily find it in stock in the German webshops. It seems to have a reach of 7,8cm, so it should be really compact. I also don't see it on Ebay, only the M106nas in 26.0 and 38cm width. I have no idea about the difference between Nitto M151f and M106nas.

Last edited by DanseMacabre; 03-10-23 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-10-23, 09:53 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,549 Times in 1,158 Posts
I understand your dilemma. The combination of vintage drop bars and brifters makes for some weird ergonomics. Flat tops on modern bars are so much more comfortable with brifters. Unfortunately most of the modern bars are black and have a larger clamp diameter, but the bars you seek are available used, most of them from the era of 8-speed. You might get some ideas from the retro-roadies thread.
Brent

Old 03-10-23, 10:03 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Liked 462 Times in 158 Posts
The Nitto is M151, try https://www.santucci-cycles.com/. There's also the Deda Piega 26 and a 26 compact bar from Procraft, but these probably only come in black.
Old 03-10-23, 10:20 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Liked 871 Times in 458 Posts
I have a 3T Forma SL Ergopower bar in a 40x26 that I find comfortable, but silver it's not.
Old 03-10-23, 12:04 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Liked 1,882 Times in 1,046 Posts
Don't know if this is available in Europe, but Dimension Short Drop bars are available in silver and 40cm
https://www.rei.com/product/211887/d...drop-handlebar
Old 03-10-23, 06:34 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Liked 425 Times in 207 Posts
I bought a Soma HWY one short reach and drop bar for my Masi 3V because I wanted to set it up with Ergo Power brake levers and I needed bars that worked with riding on the drops. I got it all set up and took it for a ride... the handling went to Sh*t! I noticed right away, and on decents, it was even worse. Looking down, I could see that the short reach bar, had moved my entire center of mass backwards a lot! (when looking down at the front hub, the entire hub appeared in front of the handlebars.) I fixed the problem by getting a longer stem. I went from a 90 to a 120, and the handling magically was back to the way I expected. I have never used a stem this long, since I am kind of a "stubby" short torso guy. I only mention this because you have a pretty long stem alreay, and longer might be hard to find. (although I saw a lot of this particular stem NIB in the 145 range when I was looking for a 120 TTT Record 84.

P.S. THere is a Fondriest hanging on teh wall just out of frame in my stem picture. I was my wife's daily ride for almost two decades, a more gorgeous bike i have never seen!
Gratuitous Fondriest pic:

Last edited by mgopack42; 03-10-23 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-11-23, 03:42 PM
curiousabe

Liked 113 Times in 28 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Went with this Procraft Road Pro Compact Classic Handlebars, unfortunately in black but 38cm/26mm in silver, in europe, seems very hard to find
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Pr...lebars-p20934/

Originally Posted by mgopack42
I bought a Soma HWY one short reach and drop bar for my Masi 3V because I wanted to set it up with Ergo Power brake levers and I needed bars that worked with riding on the drops. I got it all set up and took it for a ride... the handling went to Sh*t! I noticed right away, and on decents, it was even worse. Looking down, I could see that the short reach bar, had moved my entire center of mass backwards a lot! (when looking down at the front hub, the entire hub appeared in front of the handlebars.) I fixed the problem by getting a longer stem. I went from a 90 to a 120, and the handling magically was back to the way I expected. I have never used a stem this long, since I am kind of a "stubby" short torso guy. I only mention this because you have a pretty long stem alreay, and longer might be hard to find. (although I saw a lot of this particular stem NIB in the 145 range when I was looking for a 120 TTT Record 84.

P.S. THere is a Fondriest hanging on teh wall just out of frame in my stem picture. I was my wife's daily ride for almost two decades, a more gorgeous bike i have never seen!
Gratuitous Fondriest pic:
Intersting, I actually swapped out my 130mm stem (pictured in my first post in this thread) to a 100mm one but will keep this in mind! And yea, Fondriest made some pretty looking bikes