Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Colnago C50 vs. Cadex ALR-1

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 08:43 PM
redshift1

Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts

This question has been on my mind for a long time.

Ever since my friend bought his Colnago C50 ( C-fibre frame, 11-speed e-shifting, carbon wheels, Campagnolo Super-Record, etc. ), he has been giving me maniacal accounts of how much faster this bike is than his previous alum. frame Fondcriest 9-speed of about 3 decades earlier vintage.

But he is also not known for his rationality or his ability to compare things in a fair ( scientific ) manner.

I went for a hard 50 km road ride with him the other day and he left me eating his dust. I was on a bike akin to his old Fondcriest in technology ( Cadex ALR-1 ).

I just can't see that more modern wheel bearings, bottom brackets, etc. can make that much difference.

I am of course aware of factors like differences in rider fitness but I am not asking about those.

Are these newer bikes significantly faster than the older ones ?
Old 03-11-23, 08:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,542 Times in 4,037 Posts
Significantly? No. A little bit? Probably. There are lots of variables involved. In the case of your experience, my bet would be that your friend is simply a stronger rider, and would likely be faster even if you switched bikes. Nothing matters more than the motor.
Old 03-11-23, 11:31 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Liked 1,257 Times in 724 Posts
What color is the Colnago ?
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-12-23, 05:09 AM
redshift1

Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Black !
Old 03-12-23, 08:41 AM
KerryIrons

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by redshift1
This question has been on my mind for a long time.

Ever since my friend bought his Colnago C50 ( C-fibre frame, 11-speed e-shifting, carbon wheels, Campagnolo Super-Record, etc. ), he has been giving me maniacal accounts of how much faster this bike is than his previous alum. frame Fondcriest 9-speed of about 3 decades earlier vintage.

But he is also not known for his rationality or his ability to compare things in a fair ( scientific ) manner.

I went for a hard 50 km road ride with him the other day and he left me eating his dust. I was on a bike akin to his old Fondcriest in technology ( Cadex ALR-1 ).

I just can't see that more modern wheel bearings, bottom brackets, etc. can make that much difference.

I am of course aware of factors like differences in rider fitness but I am not asking about those.

Are these newer bikes significantly faster than the older ones ?
Here's a thought. Your friend got a new super-bike, and thus was motivated to ride more, ride harder, and thus got stronger. Switch bikes with him (if you can make the bikes fit properly) and see what happens. We all know the answer.