Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looks like another trip to the tool store?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 02:01 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

I am getting quite a collection of freehub/freewheel tools but this is a new one on me. The bearing cover says Shimano 6D (or 60). I took apart a similar hub last week from a Nishiki with the ball bearings on the outside like this one, but that cassette just lifted off. This one does not. Not a great picture, but the inner portion that the bearings ride on on the DS has 2 notches in it. To date this, it is on a fully chromed Schwinn Super Letour 12.2, so I am thinking 1976-1979 or so. What tools and how to disassemble?
Old 04-04-23, 02:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,290 Times in 2,405 Posts
You have a Shimano Uniglide there. The smallest cog is threaded while the others are splined. It’s an early version of splined freehubs that is obsolete. You can’t get cogs for it. Sheldon Brown suggested replacing the body with a Hyperglide body or using Hyperglide cogs that are modified to slide onto the body and keeping the threaded outer cog.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-23, 02:34 PM
louky

Originally Posted by cyccommute
You have a Shimano Uniglide there. The smallest cog is threaded while the others are splined. It’s an early version of splined freehubs that is obsolete. You can’t get cogs for it. Sheldon Brown suggested replacing the body with a Hyperglide body or using Hyperglide cogs that are modified to slide onto the body and keeping the threaded outer cog.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Can you tell from the pic how worn the cogs are?
Old 04-04-23, 03:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,958 Posts
Agree, that is a Uniglide freehub. The smallest sprocket is threaded, and hold the rest in place. You use two chain whips to remove the threaded sprocket: one on the threaded sprocket, the other on a larger sprocket to prevent the cluster from rotating when you unthread the small sprocket. Uniglide splined sprockets are not longer produced, but modern Hyperglide sprockets can be modified to fit. You will need to keep the smallest, threaded sprocket to secure the cluster. Be certain that this sprocket is not too worn, or be prepared to replace it (good luck!) or simply avoid using that gear.

N.B. no, there's no definitive way of judging wear from your photograph. If a new chain skips under load on the sprocket, it is too worn.
Old 04-04-23, 04:01 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by louky
Thanks for the prompt reply. Can you tell from the pic how worn the cogs are?
I agree with JohnDThompson that there is no way to tell from a photo if the cog is worn. Even in real life it is impossible to tell by visual inspection. You can use a Rohloff cog checker but it’s an expensive tool that isn’t all that useful for the cost.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-23, 06:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,302 Times in 896 Posts
All but the thread on cog can be flipped and use the other side.
Just like your underwear.
Old 04-04-23, 06:54 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
You might get some more life out of the cogs if you flip them inside out. It worked for me and eliminated chain skip when I installed a new chain.
Old 04-04-23, 08:01 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 538 Posts
a quick search on Ebay says that Yes, one Can get cogs for uniglide.. but they ain't cheap! Luckily it looks like the ones on that wheel aren't in bad shape, other than rust...

Search: "Uniglide sprockets"
Old 04-04-23, 08:12 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
All but the thread on cog can be flipped and use the other side.
Just like your underwear.
Originally Posted by Bici Veloce
You might get some more life out of the cogs if you flip them inside out. It worked for me and eliminated chain skip when I installed a new chain.
Sorry...I think I was typing while you were posting.
Old 04-04-23, 08:24 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by Bici Veloce
Sorry...I think I was typing while you were posting.
No apology necessary. It's happened to me more than once.
I just saw it 2 minutes sooner.
Old 04-04-23, 08:26 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by maddog34
a quick search on Ebay says that Yes, one Can get cogs for uniglide.. but they ain't cheap! Luckily it looks like the ones on that wheel aren't in bad shape, other than rust...

Search: "Uniglide sprockets"
Yea but ouch! By “not being able to get them”, I meant easily and/or there is only a limited supply. I’m not sure I would pay $200+ for wear item.

I’ll stand by my statement that it’s impossible to judge wear on a cassette by eye.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-05-23, 08:51 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 308 Posts
Modifying HG cogs is a matter of mere moments.
Old 04-05-23, 01:52 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Yea but ouch! By “not being able to get them”, I meant easily and/or there is only a limited supply. I’m not sure I would pay $200+ for wear item.

I’ll stand by my statement that it’s impossible to judge wear on a cassette by eye.
well, you might try removing them there fancy dark goggles...

i grew up with a machinist father. i have tape measures built in to my eyes... a blessing and curse at the same time... everything has "Stanley" printed over it....

Last edited by maddog34; 04-05-23 at 02:00 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 04-05-23, 02:02 PM
louky

I got into this a little more today. I was able to disassemble using my chain wrench, and an old piece of chain with vise-grips for the hold back. I put everthing in order with a zip tie and have it in the ultrasonic cleaner. Looks like there had been some gold paint on the parts, so this will all come off.

I tried to get the cogs apart and then notice some insanely small bolts holding the cogs together. Are these installed just for assembly purposes, do they need to go back if I have to turn the cogs around?

My plan right now is to reinstall this as is (after it is cleaned). I will put a new chain on and use that as a test for cog wear. If I have any issues, I will flip the cogs. This will be easy now that I know how to get it apart, thanks to you guys.
Likes For louky:
Old 04-05-23, 02:14 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

I'd put my best foot forward re: cog wear. It took "how many years" to get the wear that's on them?
Just visually inspect each cog and any wear should be apparent when comparing the profile of a symmetric tooth.
Your NEW chain will appreciate the least worn profile.
Old 04-05-23, 02:17 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by louky
I got into this a little more today. I was able to disassemble using my chain wrench, and an old piece of chain with vise-grips for the hold back. I put everthing in order with a zip tie and have it in the ultrasonic cleaner. Looks like there had been some gold paint on the parts, so this will all come off.

I tried to get the cogs apart and then notice some insanely small bolts holding the cogs together. Are these installed just for assembly purposes, do they need to go back if I have to turn the cogs around?

My plan right now is to reinstall this as is (after it is cleaned). I will put a new chain on and use that as a test for cog wear. If I have any issues, I will flip the cogs. This will be easy now that I know how to get it apart, thanks to you guys.
The"insanely small bolts" are just there to speed up installation.... they are too small to carry any significant load.

the "gold paint" is most likely Cadmium Plating to slow corrosion/rust. Is it shiny and a bit greenish?.. cadmium... or is it "glittery"?.. Paint.
Old 04-05-23, 02:21 PM
louky

Originally Posted by maddog34
The"insanely small bolts" are just there to speed up installation.... they are too small to carry any significant load.

the "gold paint" is most likely Cadmium Plating to slow corrosion/rust. Is it shiny and a bit greenish?.. cadmium... or is it "glittery"?.. Paint.
It's acting like paint to me. I have simple green and vinegar in the ultrasonic cleaner and it is 2/3 off already, just wipes off.
Likes For louky: