Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Comparing Ride Data

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Comparing Ride Data

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-23, 07:12 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 212 Posts
Comparing Ride Data

I was wondering if there was a way to compare entire rides the way Strava allows for comparing segments. I want to see where in a ride I've gained or lost time against other similar rides.

I tried breaking a ride in Strava into two large segments, but while it makes the segments, it doesn't allow for comparing them. I assume Strava has some maximum segment size limitation. These are private segments, but I don't think that's the reason I can't compare them. I'm pretty sure I've compared other private segments, though I could be wrong on this.

So, if there's a trick to doing this in Strava great, if not perhaps some other software, Golden Cheetah perhaps? Also, while GAmrin COnnect has ride comparison features, it doesn't seem to have one comparing the time at each point during the ride.

Suggestions welcome. FYI, the rides are original recorded with my Garmin. Therefore I can export the Garmin data.

Thanks,
Old 04-08-23, 09:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 6,101 Times in 3,112 Posts
Look here: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...hed-Activities

I have them pop up quite regularly on my standard training routes

Old 04-08-23, 09:39 PM
Mtracer

Originally Posted by rsbob
Look here: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...hed-Activities

I have them pop up quite regularly on my standard training routes
The Strava Match Rides feature doesn't provide the type of detail I'm looking for. I'm looking for something like the Strava segments "Compare Efforts" but for the entire ride. Below is an example of that feature. This also happens to be a private segment, so I know the feature works for those. As mentioned, I tried breaking a route into two long segments, but it doesn't give me the option to "Compare Efforts". I assume there is some limit to the segment length.

Old 04-08-23, 10:13 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 1,250 Times in 721 Posts
I like to graph HR against Watts then view graphs for multiple rides.
I use intervals.icu

Barry
Old 04-08-23, 10:21 PM
Mtracer

Originally Posted by Barry2
I like to graph HR against Watts then view graphs for multiple rides.
I use intervals.icu

Barry
Thanks, I'll check out intervals.icu
Old 04-09-23, 06:19 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Can't you just do this by making your entire route a segment? I have several routes that I do a couple of times a year and I set up the entire loop as a segment (I actually start and end the loop a short distance from my home to allow for warm up and cool down). I am able to do the Effort Comparison on Strava with my previous rides. It's an effective way to periodically remind me how unfit I am.

On my Garmin 530 I can also compare my live results with my PR, recent best, etc. The only downside is that Strava does running time (versus moving time), so if you stop to take a leak, you'd better be quick.
Old 04-09-23, 08:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked 1,810 Times in 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I want to see where in a ride I've gained or lost time against other similar rides.
I think this is the problem: you can compare different efforts on the same segment, but you cannot compare similar rides; it must be the exact same ride (or segment).

What kind of insight are you wanting to glean from comparing different, but similar, rides? That is, what kind of info do you want to compare? You mentioned time lost/gained, so maybe you want to compare route profile/elevation gain?

What makes different rides similar in the first place? Maybe there’s a filtering tool somewhere in Strava where you could at least group rides as similar by mileage, distance, or time, allowing you to flip more efficiently between ride details/analyses.

Are you using Strava desktop or mobile? In desktop, there is an activities calendar view which displays rides as circle icons of varying size based on distance, something which may be helpful in quickly finding similar rides (if distance is a criterion).
Old 04-09-23, 09:21 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 1,250 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I think this is the problem: you can compare different efforts on the same segment, but you cannot compare similar rides; it must be the exact same ride (or segment).
segments are fun, as is time. But dependence on wind does blur results & comparisons.
This is why I compare Watts to HR.
I’m monitoring fitness and looking to see an increase in Watts for a given HR.
Although not perfect in removing dependency upon route, it does help mitigate this, especially when averaged over several rides (using date range).

When riding indoors (erg mode) I can even compare just two rides for performance and don’t need to average.

maybe OP can give us an idea for what data they would like to see from their comparison?

All the best

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-09-23, 09:27 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1287 Post(s)
Liked 1,419 Times in 720 Posts
I was wondering if there was a way to compare entire rides the way Strava allows for comparing segments. I want to see where in a ride I've gained or lost time against other similar rides.

I tried breaking a ride in Strava into two large segments, but while it makes the segments, it doesn't allow for comparing them. I assume Strava has some maximum segment size limitation. These are private segments, but I don't think that's the reason I can't compare them. I'm pretty sure I've compared other private segments, though I could be wrong on this.

So, if there's a trick to doing this in Strava great, if not perhaps some other software, Golden Cheetah perhaps? Also, while GAmrin COnnect has ride comparison features, it doesn't seem to have one comparing the time at each point during the ride.

Suggestions welcome. FYI, the rides are original recorded with my Garmin. Therefore I can export the Garmin data.

Thanks,
how long of an effort are you trying to compare here?

strava is definitely limited to comparing the same route, with very minor variations, but segments can be really long and still be compared. i just randomly looked through a few rides and here's one that's almost 28 miles long:

as for comparing different routes, not sure. veloviewer lets you compare the profiles of different segments to each other, which is interesting but not what you're looking for.

the DCR analyze tool is made for comparing different exercise data files, unfortunately by default it compares over the absolute time, so you'd have to shift the ride start times to all be at the same time/day. might be an easy tweak to get it to do what you want: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/analyzer

Last edited by mschwett; 04-09-23 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-09-23, 10:27 AM
Mtracer

Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
Can't you just do this by making your entire route a segment? I have several routes that I do a couple of times a year and I set up the entire loop as a segment (I actually start and end the loop a short distance from my home to allow for warm up and cool down). I am able to do the Effort Comparison on Strava with my previous rides. It's an effective way to periodically remind me how unfit I am.
I believe I could make the entire route a segment, the problem is in the case where I divided a route into two segments, each about 13 miles long, it doesn't give me the option to compare efforts on the segments. It finds the matching segments just fine, gives gross comparison of time, but not the "Compare Efforts" graph, as I showed above, where you can track the relative time gain or lost during the segment.

Originally Posted by chaadster

What kind of insight are you wanting to glean from comparing different, but similar, rides? That is, what kind of info do you want to compare? You mentioned time lost/gained, so maybe you want to compare route profile/elevation gain?

What makes different rides similar in the first place? Maybe there’s a filtering tool somewhere in Strava where you could at least group rides as similar by mileage, distance, or time, allowing you to flip more efficiently between ride details/analyses.

Are you using Strava desktop or mobile? In desktop, there is an activities calendar view which displays rides as circle icons of varying size based on distance, something which may be helpful in quickly finding similar rides (if distance is a criterion).
You've read too much into my use of the word similar. These are the same routes and Strava has no trouble matching the segments. It's just the feature to "Compare Efforts" is not available. As I mentioned, I'm trying to compare the time gained or lost along the ride, so that I can see where I've gained or lost time against a previous ride.

Originally Posted by mschwett
how long of an effort are you trying to compare here?

strava is definitely limited to comparing the same route, with very minor variations, but segments can be really long and still be compared. i just randomly looked through a few rides and here's one that's almost 28 miles long:

as for comparing different routes, not sure.
Again, I'm not trying to compare different routes. And it fact what you show above is exactly what I want to do, it just isn't working. I can match the long segments to each other, but unlike shorter segments it doesn't give me the option to compare the efforts and times. I thought it was perhaps a limitation in how long a segment could be to be compared. But you're showing one that is 28 miles long. I had a 26-mile route I was dividing in half, so about 13 miles for each segment.

*********** Ta-Da *************
I figured something out. First off, I'm doing this using the website, not the app. I think there is a Strava glitch. When I select a segment in a ride, I normally select the segment then select "View Full Leaderboard" and from there I typically get the option to "Compare Efforts". The "Compare Efforts" option is NOT showing up for the long segments.

But I realize that when I select the segment, instead of using "View Full Leaderboard" I can just select the "Compare" button under the "Analyze" button and this brings up the expected screen for comparing efforts. This is giving me exactly what I want.

So, again, there are two ways to get to compare efforts, and my default way, via the "View Full Leaderboard" screen apparently doesn't work with longer segments, or perhaps some other characteristic of the segment.

In any case, the answer is to just go directly to the comparison using the "Compare" button.

Thanks to all for input.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 04-09-23, 04:33 PM
mschwett 

... But you're showing one that is 28 miles long. I had a 26-mile route I was dividing in half, so about 13 miles for each segment.

*********** Ta-Da *************
I figured something out. First off, I'm doing this using the website, not the app. I think there is a Strava glitch. When I select a segment in a ride, I normally select the segment then select "View Full Leaderboard" and from there I typically get the option to "Compare Efforts". The "Compare Efforts" option is NOT showing up for the long segments.

But I realize that when I select the segment, instead of using "View Full Leaderboard" I can just select the "Compare" button under the "Analyze" button and this brings up the expected screen for comparing efforts. This is giving me exactly what I want.

So, again, there are two ways to get to compare efforts, and my default way, via the "View Full Leaderboard" screen apparently doesn't work with longer segments, or perhaps some other characteristic of the segment.

In any case, the answer is to just go directly to the comparison using the "Compare" button.

Thanks to all for input.
nice, also keep in mind that it does take a few minutes or more for a segment to show up sometimes.

to do what you're trying to do, i just click "compare" with the segment unrolled from the activity/ride recap, and then "my results." then at the top right i x out any other strava members and add whichever of my efforts i want with the + at the left of the effort list.
Old 04-09-23, 04:56 PM
Mtracer

Originally Posted by mschwett
nice, also keep in mind that it does take a few minutes or more for a segment to show up sometimes.

to do what you're trying to do, i just click "compare" with the segment unrolled from the activity/ride recap, and then "my results." then at the top right i x out any other strava members and add whichever of my efforts i want with the + at the left of the effort list.
I'm was aware that it takes Strava some time to process the rides and match the segments. But it's worth pointing out for anyone who stumbles on this trying to solve a Strava segment issue.

Your method or steps using the "Compare" button is exactly what I figured out. Just happens there is more than one way to do this. But the other way, where I was going to the "View Full Leaderboard", doesn't seem to work for large segments. Funny how easy it is to not even notice another option that is right in front of you.

Using this today, I was already able to pick through a ride that I've been trying to understand where I was gaining and losing time. I'm not a racer, but it gave me an appreciation for just how easy it is to lose 10 seconds here and there on a complex ride. Just screwing up clipping in can be costly. Or taking a climb a little easier has a big impact. Sort of like death by a thousand cuts.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 04-09-23, 05:49 PM
mschwett 

I'm was aware that it takes Strava some time to process the rides and match the segments. But it's worth pointing out for anyone who stumbles on this trying to solve a Strava segment issue.

Your method or steps using the "Compare" button is exactly what I figured out. Just happens there is more than one way to do this. But the other way, where I was going to the "View Full Leaderboard", doesn't seem to work for large segments. Funny how easy it is to not even notice another option that is right in front of you.

Using this today, I was already able to pick through a ride that I've been trying to understand where I was gaining and losing time. I'm not a racer, but it gave me an appreciation for just how easy it is to lose 10 seconds here and there on a complex ride. Just screwing up clipping in can be costly. Or taking a climb a little easier has a big impact. Sort of like death by a thousand cuts.
yep, it’s very useful. on loop routes you can really see the effect of wind, with gradual gains and then losses in the two directions. also very useful to see how different approaches to transitions from one road or condition to the next really add up. I have a couple very long segments I do often and the line you pick and when you shift at a 90 degree intersection transitioning from downhill to flat and then uphill can make a huge difference for quite a bit of the uphill, for example. also stop signs, traffic signals, etc.
Old 04-09-23, 05:57 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 386 Posts
SuperCycle might be worth checking out. I only mention because you asked if there was other software/apps that might do this for you. It's free so it's only your time at stake. Good luck,
Old 04-09-23, 08:03 PM
Mtracer

Originally Posted by SpedFast
SuperCycle might be worth checking out. I only mention because you asked if there was other software/apps that might do this for you. It's free so it's only your time at stake. Good luck,
I've not heard of SuperCycle, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the lead.