Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 07:36 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 5,414 Times in 1,871 Posts
Well....it's not really "wrenching" I guess. But I just managed to fit 30 bikes into the bike cave. I had Krapf in the living room, the Raleigh in the one hall by the spare bedrooms, and the Motta, Merckx and Peugeot in the front room. Having a total knee replacement tomorrow so I wanted everything out of the way so a hobbled up ol' fool could get around. Hopefully about six of these go to new homes here locally as soon as Spring decides to show up.

Can't believe I've got 30 bikes in here. Too many for when I'm really riding. I like being able to grab any one of them for a ride without moving others.
Old 04-09-23, 08:14 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 369 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Neat build. Have you done that tour before? That's on my list of rides I'd like to do. Are you going to take that many bags? Are you camping? There are a number of hotels in Red Wing but I wouldn't be surprised if they fill up fast for the event. Of course, if I do the ride, I'd need to find a really cool old 3 speed to ride,

That's quite the collection of 3 speeds in the background, each having nice big bags.
I've done the 3ST many times since 2008. It's a good time. The hard parts are the Bay City Hill and staying sober after the hill.

I usually camp in Wabasha, MN Friday thru Sunday but this year I've decided to stay at Camp Holiday Inn Express in Red Wing on Friday and Sunday nights as I have a boatload of hotel points to use before they expire. It's also the tail end of the Syttende Mai festivals in MN, so the hotels fill up for that.
I will be tenting on Saturday in Wabasha. I will be using the front Karrimore bags on the front to carry my Saturday night gear. Much of my camping gear is compact and lightweight backpacking stuff. If it all fits in the front, I won't be using the Frost River bags on the rear.

I'll throw the bike on the back of the Ural and head up late Friday morning. It's a tad over 300 miles.

There are more 3 speeds in the attic. The 68 Superbe on the right is my usual rig for the 3ST. Giving it a break. The 64 Dunelt on the left, aka 'The Tetanus Express' was my commuter/alley cat rig when I was in my 50s. It's a 2 speed fixed gear.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 04-09-23, 08:18 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,691 Times in 2,171 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
I've done the 3ST many times since 2008. It's a good time. The hard parts are the Bay City Hill and staying sober after the hill.

I usually camp in Wabasha, MN Friday thru Sunday but this year I've decided to stay at Camp Holiday Inn Express in Red Wing on Friday and Sunday nights as I have a boatload of hotel points to use before they expire. It's also the tail end of the Syttende Mai festivals in MN, so the hotels fill up for that.
I will be tenting on Saturday in Wabasha. I will be using the front Karrimore bags on the front to carry my Saturday night gear. Much of my camping gear is compact and lightweight backpacking stuff. If it all fits in the front, I won't be using the Frost River bags on the rear.

I'll throw the bike on the back of the Ural and head up late Friday morning. It's a tad over 300 miles.
snip . . .

There are more 3 speeds in the attic. The 68 Superbe on the right is my usual rig for the 3ST. Giving it a break. The 64 Dunelt on the left, aka 'The Tetanus Express' was my commuter/alley cat rig when I was in my 50s. It's a 2 speed fixed gear.
It's around 30 miles from Wabasha to Red Wing which is the start right? I thought the ride was an out and back from Red Cloud? Good to know that hotel availability can be limited that time of year.
Old 04-09-23, 08:47 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,024 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well....it's not really "wrenching" I guess. But I just managed to fit 30 bikes into the bike cave. I had Krapf in the living room, the Raleigh in the one hall by the spare bedrooms, and the Motta, Merckx and Peugeot in the front room. Having a total knee replacement tomorrow so I wanted everything out of the way so a hobbled up ol' fool could get around. Hopefully about six of these go to new homes here locally as soon as Spring decides to show up.

Can't believe I've got 30 bikes in here. Too many for when I'm really riding. I like being able to grab any one of them for a ride without moving others.
good luck with surgery and have a speedy recovery
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-09-23, 11:29 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 4,897 Times in 1,833 Posts
After many months of distractions I finally got around to finishing the build of my latest acquisition, a Gazelle Champion Mondial semi-race.

This is version 1.0, with polder gearing and tires. If I like it enough, version 2.0 will be the Tuscany version, with a wider gear range and slightly wider tires. Lighting will be added at some point as well, as I don't like an empty dynamo mount much.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-09-23, 02:08 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Originally Posted by bikemig
It's around 30 miles from Wabasha to Red Wing which is the start right? I thought the ride was an out and back from Red Cloud? Good to know that hotel availability can be limited that time of year.
It starts in Red Wing and crosses the Mississippi to run south on WI35 the first day. There are many little side trips along the way south. Some are challenging, even on a derailleur bike. At Nelson, WI, the route crosses the river again into Wabasha for the night. The return to Red Wing the next day, which is closer to 40 miles, is mostly along US 61, again with many little side trips. And some of those side trips are tough. The stop for the 'Brew-up' in Lake City is always a good time. If you think cyclists can spout off about their favorite brand of bikes, wait til you get some devoted 'stovies' together.
www.3speedtour.com
Likes For bikamper:
Old 04-09-23, 03:37 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Liked 1,643 Times in 783 Posts
It starts in Red Wing and crosses the Mississippi to run south on WI35 the first day. There are many little side trips along the way south. Some are challenging, even on a derailleur bike. At Nelson, WI, the route crosses the river again into Wabasha for the night. The return to Red Wing the next day, which is closer to 40 miles, is mostly along US 61, again with many little side trips. And some of those side trips are tough. The stop for the 'Brew-up' in Lake City is always a good time. If you think cyclists can spout off about their favorite brand of bikes, wait til you get some devoted 'stovies' together.
www.3speedtour.com
Wow, that ‘tour’ looks like it must be a blast!
Old 04-09-23, 04:23 PM
Schreck83 

Liked 348 Times in 173 Posts
Bubble bath for 89 ST400 in preparation for touch-up paint. Bike was missing the RD and i think I know why.

Likes For Schreck83:
Old 04-09-23, 10:57 PM
streetsurfer

Liked 297 Times in 157 Posts
I re-cabled this '73 Nishiki International. I'd really liked the bare cable housings I found on a Competition of the same year. I found some on ebay with a clear sleeve, so put them on with aero levers cleaning up the look a little. (It had black housing on as found, but I don't know if they were stock.)

...tires are next, and I think I'm doing EVO Dash in black.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 04-10-23, 05:41 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Liked 1,304 Times in 708 Posts
Did a test fit of the new wheel for the Gazelle A. Plenty of room when downsizing from a ETRTO 38-635 to a 47-622 with at least 10mm on each side. So maybe even a fat 50 or even 55 might fit in the future.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 04-10-23, 09:13 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Re-aligned my 83 Super Sport using the Sheldon Brown string-and-lumber method.
Likes For nick_a:
Old 04-10-23, 10:00 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Liked 3,836 Times in 1,549 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak

Let me know when you're ready to sell the XL Super...it's in my size and I can't wait to see how the best bike you've ever ridden, out of all the high caliber bikes you've ever had, compares to the Super Huffy.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-10-23, 11:55 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Liked 1,971 Times in 886 Posts
Not exactly wrenching either, but huffing solvent fumes prepping and patching a pile o' tubes for local nonprofits.

First, bubble bath time in the bucket to find the pesky holes, and then mark them with crosshairs & circles. I've found this makes it easy to find the spot later and center the patch on the actual hole, especially after the area is prepped.

And then - the secret weapon. This rechargeable dremel makes the most tedious part of the patching task quite easy, and does a great job of creating a smooth area of clean rubber in just a few seconds, mowing down any ridges in the way.

Now apply Teutonic volatile organic chemicals and wait a couple minutes...

Slappeth on and rubbeth down the patch, and on to the next victim.

And then there are the tricksier ones, such as a patch on the big hole that allowed the tube to hold enough air to expose the nearby slow leaking hole just outside the original patch radius. Some precision work with the dremel, more goo & a smaller patch, and it seems to be holding. Need to put it in a tire and put serious pressure in it for the final test, though.

25 tubes, 28 patches, 2 tubes too far gone to fix. Not a bad evening's work.

Still have a few more I need to get to...

Old 04-11-23, 07:46 AM
retlaw53 
Bike wrench volunteer

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Liked 55 Times in 22 Posts

When I work my way through a collection of 10/12 spds I purchased in January, I have two 3 spds in need of attention. One's a Robinhood and the other is a Schwinn something...I think. I will have to check out the 3ST. BTW - love the Ural. I saw them for the first time in 2012 at a dealer in Prescott, AZ and lusted after one ever since.
Likes For retlaw53:
Old 04-11-23, 07:49 AM
retlaw53 
Bike wrench volunteer

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Liked 55 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by nick_a
Re-aligned my 83 Super Sport using the Sheldon Brown string-and-lumber method.
I volunteer with a non-profit 3 days/week refurbishing donated bikes for kids, refugees, people in need, etc.. The string-and-lumber method has come in handy many times...along with other Sheldon tips.
Old 04-11-23, 12:09 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Originally Posted by retlaw53
BTW - love the Ural. I saw them for the first time in 2012 at a dealer in Prescott, AZ and lusted after one ever since.
Thanks. I tell people that they are more fun than you are legally allowed to have. It's also a very handy little hauler. This one is a 2007 with 36,000 miles on the clock. I checked out a 2022 last year and was really impressed. The 22 is a Hyabusa compared to the 07, which would have to work at beating my 1948 DeSoto in the quarter mile. At the end of the day, though, my rig is the way I want it and paid for.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 04-11-23, 03:55 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
Not the best photo, but there will be more to come when I'm done with the build and take it out for a spin.
Yesterday I decided that this stem definitely doesn't want to come out at this point. Days of soaking in RP-90 (penetrating oil) didn't seem to do much (well, it's probably cleaner inside). The cone is still well stuck in there. Tried banging on the bolt through a piece of wood and rubber, tried a different bolt and gentle hits around the edge of the cone. Won't budge. The other idea, which I might to revisit at some point, was to drill it out from the fork crown side with progresively wider drill bits and just put a new cone. But I don't have drill bits long enough at the moment, so I thought I might as well just assemble the bicycle and ride it as is for now. Perhaps vibrations from the road will help to brake the bond eventually.

Well, can't ride it quite yet. I've cleaned the frame, but decided against touching it up for now and I'll wait until I can get the perfect paint colour mixed somewhere. I also need to source new decals / stickers at some point, so left the old ones be for now. But I've put all the parts I had ready on the frame. Stem is Superbe (Superbe branded version of Kusuki Medallion), handlebar Kusuki Madallion, brake levers, headset, brakes, crankset, FD, RD are all Suntour Superbe. BB is Superbe spindle with Sugino cups to replace the less then perfect original Superbe ones. Esentially the same thing, but with different branding. Shifters are early Sprint ones, so a bit later than the frame, but they are of the ratcheting variety and I think fit the bike nicely. The original, pure friction ones, will be going on another Superbe equipped bicycle at some point.
Front hub is Superbe, I still need to build a rear one when the spokes arrive, so for now I've put a Tricolor hubbed one as a placeholder. Seatpost is temporary, I just sanded down something I had before I find a correct size one that I like. It looks like the correct size is 26.4mm and the thinnier they are, the less interesting options you have available. San Marco Tuono saddle is too modern for the frame (but I had it available and it will do for now), so I'll have to decide whether I want to buy Concor Supercorsa (which I have no experience with), go with Turbo (which I like and have on another bicycle) or go with a modern version of Regale Evo (which I use almost daily and which I like) to keep the weight similar to Tuono.

There are still things I will have to do before I get to ride the bicycle. Building the rear wheel is one. I also realised yesterday I'm out of inner cables for brakes. Glad I kept some old ones from the past maintenance, so for now I can get the bike road-ready, but ordering some new cables is on the cards. Today I will be digging out Suntour freewheels I have, to check which one will be best and overhaul it if necessary. And then just some adjustments, no doubt. In the near future I will replace the handlebar tape with cotton one and I need new hoods in black or tan / brown. Brake pads seemed to be in a decent condition, so after good cleaning and sanding the compound down a bit I will give them a try, but probably another thing to replace at some point.

I'm still not sure what this bicycle actually is, so that's a puzzle to solve soon, hopefully. Looking at the frame, especially shape of the lugs, it reminds me of early 80's Centurions I've seen photos of, but there are some differences (tubing is Tange Champion 2, so it's not a Semi Pro or Turbo, also brake bridge is straight). As is (plus the chain and with the correct rear wheel), this whould weight below 9.5kg. Not too shabby. Superbe components were not always the lightest available at the time. I think for the next build, which is Columbus SL tubed frame, I might try to shave off some more weight (some parts I have for the build are already significantly lighter than their Superbe equivalent on this one). Well, for now, just this quick snap:

Suntour Superbe Pro bicycle, early 80's
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 04-11-23, 03:56 PM
Mr. 66

Liked 1,860 Times in 1,013 Posts

Raleigh Competition is readied for test voyage. The wheels were swapped out, basically Weinman Concave rims for Mavic Module E, both sets are equipped with GS Campy hubs. A Suntour 13-28 from a 13-24 Regina. The 28 tooth freewheel is not a good match for the GS, I think it could use another link in the chain, and drawn deeper in the dropout. The chain is functional in all gears but could use a link for the big to big. Later today if the sun stays out I will ride.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-12-23, 02:19 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Liked 1,912 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
While waiting for the rest of the parts for a wheelbuild for the 1965 Gazelle A I overhauled the Sturmey Archer GH6 dynohub...No clue on whether it even delivers power anymore...
Sheldon said to hold a piece of metal (like a house key) kinda to the contacts and spin the wheel. A healthy Dynohub™️ will spark. That's what Sheldon said.

The contact threads on a GH6 are 2BA, a British sparkplug standard, and the axle is 3/8x26, if you want to upgrade to 'toolless quick disconnect'.

Likes For tcs:
Old 04-13-23, 04:05 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Liked 1,304 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Sheldon said to hold a piece of metal (like a house key) kinda to the contacts and spin the wheel. A healthy Dynohub™️ will spark. That's what Sheldon said.

The contact threads on a GH6 are 2BA, a British sparkplug standard, and the axle is 3/8x26, if you want to upgrade to 'toolless quick disconnect'.
That's a great tip! Just ordered some from this webshop. And some NOS grey wire with the connectors from British eBay.
I already have a dynamo headlight laying around I want to use; a B+M IQ-XS
I'll probably paint the lenses yellow with some plastic paint to give it a bit more of an old-school vibe.

In the meantime I've started to clean, derust and clearcoat the frame. It's getting warmer but it's pretty windy around here at the moment.
The first one was the front fender. The difference is pretty stark compared to the rest of the frame, which is looking a bit tired and matte.
Touched up some of the gold striping and added some brass bolts where applicable.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 04-13-23, 04:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,654 Times in 3,294 Posts
Didn't wanna do it ...

But I brought this home today from a fellow Craigslister.

The little 55cm Falcon is wearing me out a bit. Been looking for something in a 57 to replace it. If this $300 Columbus SL Bott doesn't work out, I doubt I'll be out much. Now to overhaul everything...
​​​​​​

Last edited by SurferRosa; 04-13-23 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-13-23, 07:14 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Liked 2,193 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Didn't wanna do it ...

But I brought this home today from a fellow Craigslister.

The little 55cm Falcon is wearing me out a bit. Been looking for something in a 57 to replace it. If this $300 Columbus SL Bott doesn't work out, I doubt I'll be out much. Now to overhaul everything...
​​​​​​
SR,
I am sure you had to "UNTWIST" your arm after bringing it home.....nice score.
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-13-23, 07:47 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Just more work putting lipstick on a pig...

A fresh coat of paint on the bottom side of the Huffy. Soon this thing will end, I think...
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-14-23, 03:38 AM
Positron400

Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Just more work putting lipstick on a pig...

.. that's how i justify putting 250€ wheels (and the time spent putting them together) on a, let's be honest, low tier frame
Likes For Positron400:
Old 04-14-23, 06:49 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Positron400
.. that's how i justify putting 250€ wheels (and the time spent putting them together) on a, let's be honest, low tier frame
If we're having fun, right? Keeps us off the streets. Or, in the case of the Huffy, sometimes makes you want to go to the streets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.