Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery BB Threading Peugeot 83 PFN 10

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 05:46 PM
gazman22

Liked 147 Times in 43 Posts

Really stumped here. I have a nice PFN 10 I am building up. The frame came with a locked up sealed BB. I removed the BB and the drive side turned out to be right threaded. I thought I was smart deducing it to be a French threaded BB and bought a new sealed French BB. I go to put it in and it is clearly not going in. The threads lock up immediately.

I then reinspected the BB I removed (I now will pay more attention to markings on BB after removal!) and see that it is a Shimano BB-LP30 and is a 1.37 x24 (English threaded). It also has the "L" marking arrow pointed to the fixed cup. So the fixed cup side is on the left side of the bike and is right hand threaded. The drive side is the adjustable cup and is also right hand threaded.

I look on Sheldon Brown and the only right hand threading on left and right side of bike are French (which I know does not fit) and Italian which is not a match for diameter.

I am stumped! What is this threading? And, how do I replace this BB? am happy with a sealed or loose ball BB.

Any help is appreciated.

Gary
Old 05-02-23, 05:58 PM
juvela

Liked 3,526 Times in 2,295 Posts
-----

at the 1978 model launch for the PFN10 the chainset was a model 104bis

it this what came with your example or is it something else?

-----
Old 05-02-23, 06:05 PM
Mr. 66

Liked 1,865 Times in 1,014 Posts
That may be of Swiss thread
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-02-23, 06:05 PM
gazman22

I only bought a frames but the bike originally came with a Stronglight 104.

Old 05-02-23, 06:07 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
That may be of Swiss thread
Per Sheldon Brown, Swiss threading is left hand threaded on the drive side and 35mm x 25.4 tpi.
Likes For gazman22:
Old 05-02-23, 06:18 PM
Mr. 66

Yes, probably Swiss. I think I had that model (they ride great!). It, when I bought, had a Shimano cartridge bb installed. The English will thread in Swiss about 4 turns before the breads bind, can be forced to full insert. I found a Swiss bb at the local coop for it.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-02-23, 06:23 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Liked 541 Times in 240 Posts
Could it be two bottom brackets cobbled together?
Old 05-02-23, 06:24 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Yes, probably Swiss. I think I had that model (they ride great!). It, when I bought, had a Shimano cartridge bb installed. The English will thread in Swiss about 4 turns before the breads bind, can be forced to full insert. I found a Swiss bb at the local coop for it.
The only way a Swiss BB would fit is if I installed it backwards with the fixed cup on the non drive side and then used right hand threaded cup on the drive side. Do you remember if this is what you did?
Old 05-02-23, 06:27 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Could it be two bottom brackets cobbled together?
Dunno— just cant figure out what the original shell Was tapped for?
Old 05-02-23, 06:32 PM
Mr. 66

Here is what I had.
I was trying to set a triple on it here but I discovered the braze-on simplex version didn't handle the swing needed. I ended up putting original type back to it. I sold this because of that. The other thing I didn't like about it was the seatpost, the saddle would float back extending my reach gradually, lols. I took the Weinman brakes off and swapped with Superbe
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-02-23, 06:41 PM
Mr. 66

I know what I had was Swiss. Peugeot had some curveballs, some were made in Canada and Australia. At the time I think only Pug, the PX-10 had French threads, all the rest were Swiss. Again this is Peugeot just a year or two earlier all would have been French, and a few years later all were made with English. The different plants also could have different thread for the locations of sales.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-02-23, 07:15 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Originally Posted by gazman22
Dunno— just cant figure out what the original shell Was tapped for?
My guess is French, and whoever last did work on the BB ended up forcing in a RH-threaded ISO adjustable cup onto the drive side of your bike.

The fixed cup might still be French.

Have pics of the bottom bracket you removed?
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 05-02-23, 08:03 PM
gazman22

My guess is French, and whoever last did work on the BB ended up forcing in a RH-threaded ISO adjustable cup onto the drive side of your bike.

The fixed cup might still be French.

Have pics of the bottom bracket you removed?
So maybe I should carefully see if I can get the French BB I bought in? Try to reform the threads back to French.

Old 05-02-23, 08:11 PM
juvela

-----

recall that lower model P's of this time were CH

their bottom bracket fittings were oro finish

the code to indicate CH thread for the fixed was knurling on the edge of the cup

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-02-23, 08:21 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

recall that lower model P's of this time were CH

their bottom bracket fittings were oro finish

the code to indicate CH thread for the fixed was knurling on the edge of the cup

-----
Sorry, what does CH refer to?
Old 05-02-23, 08:43 PM
juvela

-----

CH is the two-letter designation for Switzerland

-----
Old 05-03-23, 02:41 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Liked 132 Times in 88 Posts
If you find this is a Swiss thread bb, put details of the bike/bracket on here if you can. I bought a frame which had an English thread cup inserted into the frame with a thick washer against the frame to tighten against because it did not want to go all the way in. Lucky no damage, but the Swiss cup in now fits as it should.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bb-cup-id.html
Old 05-03-23, 05:45 AM
oneclick 

Liked 1,366 Times in 805 Posts
The only way a Swiss BB would fit is if I installed it backwards with the fixed cup on the non drive side and then used right hand threaded cup on the drive side. Do you remember if this is what you did?
That won't work.

A swiss fixed cup is left-hand.
All* non-drive side bb shells are right-hand.
* for some large value of "all".
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-03-23, 11:02 AM
billytwosheds 

Look for markings on the fixed cup.

Sheldon Brown's page can be useful in understanding the differences between BB shells, cups, etc.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom

Right-hand thread on both cups still tells me French.

But I have known to be wrong before.

Re: installing the new French BB, I would be wary of trying to reform deformed threads from French > ISO > French.

The threads on the BB in your pic look a little mowed down, which again makes me think it was forced in.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 05-03-23, 01:32 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Liked 726 Times in 493 Posts
I then reinspected the BB I removed (I now will pay more attention to markings on BB after removal!) and see that it is a Shimano BB-LP30 and is a 1.37 x24 (English threaded). It also has the "L" marking arrow pointed to the fixed cup. So the fixed cup side is on the left side of the bike and is right hand threaded. The drive side is the adjustable cup and is also right hand threaded.
FWIW: some of Shimano's early cartridge-type BBs did have the flanged cup on the NDS vice the DS. The BB-LP30 was one of them.

I'd love to see a picture of the DS cup that you removed from your existing frame.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 05-03-23, 02:08 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by Hondo6
I'd love to see a picture of the DS cup that you removed from your existing frame.
Here you go. Not much to see. It is marked 1.37 x 24.

It also does not fit the BB very well. it is loose. No surprise there.

I did try to install the removed BB and non drive side cup into another English threaded BB bike and they went in fine.

Old 05-03-23, 02:18 PM
gazman22

Look for markings on the fixed cup.

Sheldon Brown's page can be useful in understanding the differences between BB shells, cups, etc.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom

Right-hand thread on both cups still tells me French.

But I have known to be wrong before.

Re: installing the new French BB, I would be wary of trying to reform deformed threads from French > ISO > French.

The threads on the BB in your pic look a little mowed down, which again makes me think it was forced in.
Tend to agree shell was originally threaded French. Only thing that seems contrary to this is Sheldon Brown has a chart that shows what happens when you try to mismatch BB and threaded shells. For French shell and English BB it says BB goes in loose. So, not sure why I would have so much trouble putting in French now.

Seems like only two choices:
1. try to insert the French BB with fingers crossed.
2. try to locate an old BB with English threading and flanged cup on non drive side (and then locate adjustable cup that fits the BB body). This sound painful.

3. Wildcard choice...install loose ball BB with two adjustable cups and loctitie? Doable?
Old 05-03-23, 04:03 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Liked 726 Times in 493 Posts
Tend to agree shell was originally threaded French. Only thing that seems contrary to this is Sheldon Brown has a chart that shows what happens when you try to mismatch BB and threaded shells. For French shell and English BB it says BB goes in loose. So, not sure why I would have so much trouble putting in French now.
Agreed. If both sides of the shell were originally RH threaded, it's either French or Italian. Shell ID rules out Italian.

Forcing in English RH threads on the DS, even as a loose fit, would likely have deformed the existing French threads to some extent because the thread pitch is slightly different(25.4TPI vs 24TPI); I'd guess that the outer threads would be damaged the most. I'd also guess that (damaged threads) is why your new French threaded BB is going in with difficulty.

My guess is that (1) both of the flanged cups you found on the bike are RH-threaded, and (2) someone pried a flanged RH-threaded endcap off the NDS of a later English-threaded cartridge BB and used that in place of the existing DS encap that came with the BB-LP30 you found installed in the frame.

Seems like only two choices:
1. try to insert the French BB with fingers crossed.
2. try to locate an old BB with English threading and flanged cup on non drive side (and then locate adjustable cup that fits the BB body). This sound painful.

3. Wildcard choice...install loose ball BB with two adjustable cups and loctitie? Doable?
IMO you actually have two reasonable, if not perfect, other choices:

a. Find a LBS that still has the equipment to chase French threads and have them do it. Upside: might save the frame for use as originally intended (e.g, with French-threaded BB). Downside: unknown cost; might not be available in your area; may or may not help.

b. Get a "repair" threadless bottom bracket. YST makes them to fit 68mm shells in several spindle lengths; a few weeks ago, they were available on both Amazon and eBay. (VO previously offered a similar product, but seems to have discontinued theirs.) Upside: this should fit without doing further damage. Downside: might not be able to find the exact spindle length you need; all of these I've seen except one were JIS (and I suspect the single ISO listing I saw was erroneous); additional cost; OK but not stellar quality.

In your shoes, if I knew of a LBS that knows vintage bikes and I could trust to do the job right, I'd inquire with them about option "a". If that were reasonably priced, I'd probably try that first - because one of the threadless "repair" BBs will be around $30 plus S/H.

Your bike, so your call. Best of luck.

Last edited by Hondo6; 05-03-23 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Correct typos.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 05-03-23, 04:49 PM
Chombi1 

Liked 865 Times in 565 Posts
That bike came out right when Peugeot was still making hard efforts on implementing Swiss threading on their BBs for many bike models in their product line.
They pushed the Swiss threading up to the 84 model year, my own example being my 1984 PSV that has it.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 05-03-23, 05:17 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,376 Times in 866 Posts
My 1980 PKN-10 was definitely Swiss-threaded. Because of cup wall thickness / spindle length compatibility requirements when I converted to a triple, I force-threaded an aluminum English fixed cup, and it has held fine for more than 10 years now. I just leave it in place when servicing the BB.

My old PKN-10, now my son's kiddie-puller, although the boys are getting big for the trailer now.

Picture is from a few years ago. The boys are 8 and almost 6 years old now, and ride their own bikes, but my son certainly appreciated my granny chainring back when he had to pull them in the trailer.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.