Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

80s Mercian? Patina

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

80s Mercian? Patina

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 07:00 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 699 Posts
You may want to try Corrosion Block to free the seat post. It was helpful when I had to free a stuck seat post in an old Cannondale - aluminum bonded to aluminum is nasty! If you let it work for a day it would probably do a lot to loosen things.

On my C'dale, I wound up taking it to the LBS where they had a bench vise. We removed the top of the seatpost clamp and locked the remaining head section into the vise, and I paid the strapping guy who managed the place to work it free. It took him a bunch of effort, but it paid off.

As far as the size goes, I have a similar dilemna. We have a 1971 Mercian built by Derek Land early in his career that was later repaired/rebuilt by Mike Melton early in HIS career. My son will soon outgrow it, and my thinking is that after I set him up on a bike that better fits him, I may put a tall stem, North Road bars and a long seat post and repurpose it as an upright townie kinda bike ...
Old 05-04-23, 09:56 PM
1simplexnut 

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
That blue ? Mercian use would have looked darn pretty before the rustification .
I have a 1972 Mercian frame hanging in the shed with the same colour as highlights .

Old 05-04-23, 11:56 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
That blue ? Mercian use would have looked darn pretty before the rustification .
I have a 1972 Mercian frame hanging in the shed with the same colour as highlights .

Ooo that one is gorgeous