Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Difference between someone who rides a bicycle and a "cyclist" socioeconomic?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Difference between someone who rides a bicycle and a "cyclist" socioeconomic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 06:44 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
Looks like a world traveler. Probably has a phd, on sabbatical and living the dream. Do non-cyclists wear helmets? Has some motorcycle gloves on so may have started his journey on a motorcycle and at some point transitioned from a motorcyclist to a cyclist. If i had a better view of his footwear i could tell you the bigger picture.

Last edited by jadmt; 05-06-23 at 06:55 AM.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-06-23, 06:45 AM
seypat

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,536 Posts
This type of thread pops up every so often. One could say it's a cyclical subject.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-06-23, 06:54 AM
seypat

No tinfoil on the helmet.
Old 05-06-23, 07:00 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Liked 459 Times in 240 Posts
I'm a Fred. Is that a bicycle rider or a cyclist?
Old 05-06-23, 07:33 AM
skidder

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1,564 Times in 1,064 Posts
Why not add 'biker' to the discussion? Or is that reserved exclusively for motorcycle riders?
Old 05-06-23, 07:54 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Liked 1,257 Times in 724 Posts
A real cyclist won’t leave their bike unattended, so “U” lock not required.

Barry
Old 05-06-23, 07:59 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,598 Times in 1,889 Posts
I for one think it is absolutely delightful to post this individual's photo on the internet, almost certainly without permission, to further rob him of his dignity.

Maybe if I put some key works in here, like "vaccine" or "evolution" or "political economy," this distasteful mockery will get the attention it seems to magically avoid.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-06-23, 08:42 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,179 Times in 7,598 Posts
How many of you “cyclists” would even attempt to tote around that much stuff, even if you could? Walk the walk, kids. Until you do, you are noticing but keyboard warriors.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-06-23, 09:30 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2

Barry
If that's really true then thousands of urban cyclists who lock their bikes daily when running errands, shopping, commuting to work are not " real cyclists"...A lock is our new standard to distinguish real cyclists from non-real cyclists
Old 05-06-23, 10:55 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,236 Times in 3,231 Posts
For me a “cyclist” is someone who rides regularly for a hobby/sport. People who ride bikes only for utility eg commuting or shopping are not really cyclists. They are just people riding bikes for transport. Technically, they are cyclists whenever riding, but it doesn’t define them and they would probably not describe themselves as “cyclists” if you asked what they were.

But there is no need to label anyone. People will usually self-label as a “cyclist” like you would expect members of this forum to do so. It has nothing to do with their socio-economic status. A “serious cyclist” is a “cyclist” who simply invests more time and effort into the hobby/sport. You would expect some regular forum members to be in that category. Again they will generally self-label.

The guy in the photo is intriguing. He may well be a keen mountain biker with his gear, or the bike might just be his means to an end of moving around. Who knows or cares?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-06-23, 10:58 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,179 Times in 7,598 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2

Barry
I often leave my bike unattended when I tour. Don’t you? Or don’t you have what it takes to do that sort of riding because you’re just someone who rides a bike?

Maybe the Recreational & Family Forum is the pace for you.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-06-23 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-06-23, 11:14 AM
seypat

What about the person that pulls around his kids/animals in a trailer? He/she's just pulling cargo in a trailer.
Old 05-06-23, 11:17 AM
greatbasin

Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Way back when I was broke, homeless and had no advanced degree, I had no identity of my own so I clung to the term "cyclist" as my identity. It gave me purpose, drive, a reason to exist.
Now that I am established, have worked 40+ years and consider myself a human-being, a creature of God, I no longer identify myself with a label of any sort, particularly "cyclist".
Frankly, the term "cyclist" when used to create an identity is sadly a misused term, as are many, many other labels we humans use to create an identity, as belonging to a unique group, one that differentiates oneself from the mass of society as a whole.
Have you given up labeling others also?
Old 05-06-23, 11:18 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Liked 1,257 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If that's really true then thousands of urban cyclists who lock their bikes daily when running errands, shopping, commuting to work are not " real cyclists"...A lock is our new standard to distinguish real cyclists from non-real cyclists
Duh, this is the internet.
Nothing is “really” true !

Everything is relative.
From my view of the world…
how do you lock up your expensive road bike?…. it’s a trick question, you don’t, else it’s not yours any more.

Barry
Old 05-06-23, 11:22 AM
greatbasin

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I for one think it is absolutely delightful to post this individual's photo on the internet, almost certainly without permission, to further rob him of his dignity.

Maybe if I put some key works in here, like "vaccine" or "evolution" or "political economy," this distasteful mockery will get the attention it seems to magically avoid.
What is undignified about this person? Are you saying the photo is mockery or some of the comments on here?
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 05-06-23, 11:36 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
For me a “cyclist” is someone who rides regularly for a hobby/sport. People who ride bikes only for utility eg commuting or shopping are not really cyclists.
What about people who do both ?.... they ride for hobby / recreation and also commute / run errands ?.
Old 05-06-23, 11:39 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by greatbasin
What is undignified about this person? Are you saying the photo is mockery or some of the comments on here?
I'm saying that unless you got this guy's permission to post his photo on the internet, you are trolling us at his expense.

Also, I said that you, in doing so, are robbing him of his dignity by making a mockery of him.
Old 05-06-23, 11:43 AM
greatbasin

I'm saying that unless you got this guy's permission to post his photo on the internet, you are trolling us at his expense.

Also, I said that you, in doing so, are robbing him of his dignity by making a mockery of him.
His name is Randy Stone. The photographer Liz Hafalia obtained his permission before publishing the photo on the Internet. It's been published on the Internet since it was taken March 11, 2013 -- for more than 10 years. How is the photo taking any of his dignity or mocking him?
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 05-06-23, 11:47 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,535 Times in 4,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'd rather find common cause than look for divisions.
You must be new to the internet.

/s
Old 05-06-23, 11:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by greatbasin
How is the photo taking any of his dignity or mocking him?
What is the point you are trying to make with this troll-thread?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-06-23, 11:50 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts

I guess if you are looking down on him maybe you are robbing him of his dignity. I look at the photo and I think he is a guy traveling the country living the dream. Maybe he will log on tonight and have a good laugh.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-06-23, 11:54 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

OK, then let's see some photos of you traveling the country living the dream.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-06-23, 11:55 AM
greatbasin

The photo was taken outside an encampment under the freeway. The "No Tresspassing... No Lodging" sign is clearly seen in the photo. According to the Department of Public Works, about 30 people were lodging there and they had 20 to 25 bicycles.
Old 05-06-23, 12:27 PM
greatbasin

What is the point you are trying to make with this troll-thread?
If you think it is a troll, why keep taking the bait?

I wasn't trying to make a point, but I asked questions to start a discussion. I wanted to read what other people think about how cycling influences our own identity and the way we perceive the identity of others in our culture. Specifically, I inquired about the divide between leisure cycling by the priviledged class that enjoys good health, good education, good families, good occupations, and good neighborhoods and bicycle use by people who do not enjoy those priviledges. What do you think about this divide? What are your thoughts on this? One of the things I mentioned in my first post was intergenerational elasticity of social, physiological, and cultural capital. This is the degree of deviation in these asset levels between generations. An increase in inequality, that is the disparity in asset levels between the leisure cyclist and the displaced campers, has been observed to correlate to less deviation in asset levels between generations. In simpler terms, as inequality increases, intergenerational social mobility decreases -- more people possess unequal asset levels and the inequality persists increasingly just because they were born that way. This isn't the point I'm trying to make, but a fact that prefaces my question. What do you make of the difference here?
Old 05-06-23, 12:30 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,236 Times in 3,231 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
What about people who do both ?.... they ride for hobby / recreation and also commute / run errands ?.
Obviously they would be “cyclists”, which is why I said those who ONLY ride for utility are not really “cyclists”.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.