Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Kirk Custom story and ride report

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-23, 07:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked 3,002 Times in 1,625 Posts

Hi,
As I have been teasing for a while, I recently had my Kirk Custom delivered and finally got it built and and first rides in.

Ride report first: Amazing, I could feel it just hopping on and riding in the street in front of the house for fit. super responsive and ready to go. my first longer ride confirmed that. It was flat so hills and descents next. I truly was very cognizant of any bias....i.e I paid for a custom frame so it has to be great. No bias, it is great. I rode with a set of the 32mm stampede pass tires with the light casing and they are super smooth (more on wheels and tires later)

Summary:If you are thinking about a bespoke bike.....do it, and if what Dave does aligns with what you want, go for it, put the deposit down (as he has noted he won't do this forever)

first pic as this is wordy, note tubus rack and the eyelets and fender fittings, this a part of a custom, building for what you want, in this case i will commute on this bike and possibly do a light credit card tour so rack and fender capability is needed

The experience:
I have had a custom frame on my grail list for while, seemed more suited to me than say a ferrari. I put some personal/family milestones in place before I would would do this and got them met.
I have been aware of/followed Dave Kirk for a while...not sure what caught my attention initially, but have watched the evolution of his bikes for 10+ years. Also cool was that they are made in Montana, where I grew up (Chinook, home of the Sugarbeeters). I had a chance to talk to Dave about frames and such after Cino in 2021, which finalized my builder decision.

So I put my deposit down, and 5 months later (note this is my experience so don't assume your times will be the same) got an email, I sent an email with what I was looking for and talked to Dave, I then took measurements of me and my bike set up (Fitting | Kirk Frameworks) and answered a set of standard questions, some of which are interesting. Dave then reviewed and noted that my seat height was low for my leg length, did I measure correctly? checked measured right, but put my seat up 2 cm and the ride improved.

Dave then suggested best for me was the JK special, which was a bit of a surprise as it it his "raciest" bike. he explained why he thought this would work and it made sense and at no point was there an upsell. Dave is very direct and will advise very clearly if he thinks something is no advisable (the JK special orgin story also resonated, as my dad built up my first bike from a bike thrown in an irrigation ditch)

Tubing and design, I left to Dave, I don't the the point of using a well known custom builder and then specing tubing and design details. his site says The JK Special bikes are built with a proprietary mix of tubes (chainstays, seat stays, and fork blades) made to my specifications by Reynolds of England as well as Reynolds 953 and 853 Pro, lugs by Llewellyn and his own dropout

key to note is all even if it is a JK special it is custom to me so if you compare my bike with a 1.5 degree top tube slope to pics of JKS on the Kirk site, they have a more sloping top tube.

My choices included chain hanger, fender attachment points, rear rack attachments, BSA BB, 1 inch threaded steerer (allows more future flexibility and is prettier than threadless), lugged construction and room for 32mm tires (28 with fenders), straight seat stays, and rim brakes. comments on that, I wanted a classic look with max flexibility this gave it to me. Disc front fork would have been much heavier, lugged becomes more challenging if you are going for tires bigger that 32, so should go filet brazed for bigger tires.

once the bike gets started it is done in a week or so, then off to Joe Bell. Joe Bell wait was longer (he is not taking new work) and while Dave is an artisan, Joe is an artist so time planning is not as precise. Joe was super to work with, I had suggested some really challenging colors and we worked out what ended be very close for the green and way better for the pink/purple color. Joe asked if I was OK with giving him some artistic license and I gave the go, detail like the bands of color on the seat tube came from that. and the overall results make be glad I said go for it.

Build list (of which many question were asked in C*V over the last couple of years)
Ultegra R8000 mechanical group (last mechanical ultegra) (considered a rene herse crank, but did seem blend well)
Velo orange grand cru long reach brakes to handle the 32mm
Chris king headset
Nitto s83 seatpost
nitto noodle 46 handle bar
nitto dynamic stem 26mm (got a 25.4 pearl also that will be up for sale)
Berthoud saddle
Fizik bar tape
Silca tatto pump
Silca Matone seat bag
Tubus rear rack
Ortlieb sport roller hi vis bags
spur cycle bell
H+Son Archetype 32h rim, on White industries T11 hubs, with Rene Herse Stampede pass tires and schwalbe light tube
Ambrosio nemeis 32 h rim on Hope rs4 hubs with FMB 29mm cobble stone (being built)

suppliers, Kirk Frame works, Joe Bell, Velomine, Rene Herse, Rivendell, REI, Velo Orange, Universal Cycles, Mikes Bikes, Bike Tires Direct, King Cage, Silca, Cicli corsa, Bike24, Competitive cyclist, Berthoud france

also this is not a weight focused build, but without the rack it came in at about 20 lbs

Grand Cru brakes

gotta have a matching bell and note the berthoud rear view mirrot

paint details as so fun

details

Love the headbadge by Jen Green non funtional, but totally required for class (IMHO)

part of the fun of a custom is seeing pics like this coming in from the build

Last edited by squirtdad; 05-08-23 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-07-23, 08:11 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Quoted: 3855 Post(s)
Liked 6,979 Times in 2,683 Posts
That's gorgeous, Jim! Here's to many happy miles!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 05-07-23, 08:31 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked 3,490 Times in 1,618 Posts
Glad that it was such a great bike and great experience!
Love the Joe Bell paint! He is legendary, and it makes sense to defer to his tastes.

At first, I was going to say that the colors remind me a bit of some Brian Baylis schemes that I've seen... mostly because the color choices aren't typical. After looking at my photos of Baylis bikes, I will say that Brian's choice in a green/blue scheme is novel, but a different style than your green/purple(lavender?).

Here's the Baylis scheme I'm thinking of:

Looking forward to seeing pics of your bike for 20 or 30 years of rides, at least!

Steve in Peoria
Old 05-07-23, 09:21 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
You could not do better than Dave and Joe on a custom frame.
I have been to Joe’s shop a few times and marveled at the paint jobs.
can I ask what the white bar tape is?
is possible to keep it clean?
Old 05-08-23, 06:39 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Liked 5,328 Times in 1,855 Posts
That is just sooooo cool!! Glad you love the ride. I'm with you in that his bikes really do ride well. Can't wait to hear more about your rides on this!
Old 05-08-23, 07:05 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 2175 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,238 Posts
Looks great, bet it rides very, very well. A terrific partner for many happy miles!
Old 05-08-23, 07:12 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 3,681 Times in 1,685 Posts
Beautiful and congratulations!
Old 05-08-23, 07:28 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,015 Posts
Stunning frame and great build, Jim. Wish you many happy miles!

Old 05-08-23, 07:48 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, Karate Monkey, Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 651 Posts
I'll just say the RH cranks are pretty great, they're light, shift great, and have a ton of chainring options.
Old 05-08-23, 08:19 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 678 Posts
Now that's a lovely bike. I bet those colors really glow in the sun. Congratulations Jim!
Old 05-08-23, 09:05 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by jnbrown
You could not do better than Dave and Joe on a custom frame.
I have been to Joe’s shop a few times and marveled at the paint jobs.
can I ask what the white bar tape is?
is possible to keep it clean?
it is fizik https://www.fizik.com/us_en/tempo-mi...h-classic.html

as to keeping it clean, we will see but the white grip and cables were required for the look

Old 05-08-23, 09:48 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Liked 5,328 Times in 1,855 Posts
^ DIrty white bar tape is a badge of honor in my book. It means the bike is being used, as it should be!!
Old 05-08-23, 10:27 AM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Wow, that is awesome. Lovely colors and details throughout! Have fun riding that all the time!
Old 05-08-23, 10:50 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 679 Posts
congrats on a beautiful build enjoy your bike
Old 05-08-23, 11:39 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
It's terrific, congratulations.

Did you consider black bar tape and blackwall tires, to go with the brake hoods, crank and saddle?
Old 05-08-23, 11:59 AM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Glad that it was such a great bike and great experience!
Love the Joe Bell paint! He is legendary, and it makes sense to defer to his tastes.

At first, I was going to say that the colors remind me a bit of some Brian Baylis schemes that I've seen... mostly because the color choices aren't typical. After looking at my photos of Baylis bikes, I will say that Brian's choice in a green/blue scheme is novel, but a different style than your green/purple(lavender?).

Here's the Baylis scheme I'm thinking of:

Looking forward to seeing pics of your bike for 20 or 30 years of rides, at least!

Steve in Peoria
color scheme came about lke this, I wanted a bright kandy apple green and found a house of kolor example on a hot rod, then I was thinking about adding a red candy to the head tube as a big of an homage to my dad (he was not allowed to by bright red bike with money he earned as his sisters did not have bikes...I corrected that with a bright red 3 wheeler when he was in his 80's )

I looked at a Kandy red and it did not work but came up with a kandy magenta, so that that was where we started.....

Joe spent time and could not figure how the hot rod got it look and proposed the pearlescent green on the bike as an option and he suggestd the "dusky pink" kandy the I ended up with. from there I said I like pin lining and then he said he had some ideas like seat tube colors from classic engligh bikes and would I be good to let him be creative with this baseline. I said yes and this is what I got. Can't be happier

of course I then had to try to get a matching jersery, was lookiing for a Joker but did not find one in good quality jersey, so did a semi custom with with voler, not exact match but not bad

first ride and celebratory beer

Old 05-08-23, 12:37 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 3,681 Times in 1,685 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
color scheme came about lke this, I wanted a bright kandy apple green and found a house of kolor example on a hot rod, then I was thinking about adding a red candy to the head tube as a big of an homage to my dad (he was not allowed to by bright red bike with money he earned as his sisters did not have bikes...I corrected that with a bright red 3 wheeler when he was in his 80's )

I looked at a Kandy red and it did not work but came up with a kandy magenta, so that that was where we started.....

Joe spent time and could not figure how the hot rod got it look and proposed the pearlescent green on the bike as an option and he suggestd the "dusky pink" kandy the I ended up with. from there I said I like pin lining and then he said he had some ideas like seat tube colors from classic engligh bikes and would I be good to let him be creative with this baseline. I said yes and this is what I got. Can't be happier

of course I then had to try to get a matching jersery, was lookiing for a Joker but did not find one in good quality jersey, so did a semi custom with with voler, not exact match but not bad

first ride and celebratory beer
Looking fabulous!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-08-23, 01:35 PM
Bad Lag

LOL! Yeah, that jersey is just about perfect.

If you don't mind my poking some fun,...

I couldn't help but notice that after all this time and all the money and careful choices, your second photo is of the bell! A BELL!,... and it isn't even color-matched.

The bike looks awesome. Enjoy it!
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 05-08-23, 01:48 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
LOL! Yeah, that jersey is just about perfect.

If you don't mind my poking some fun,...

I couldn't help but notice that after all this time and all the money and careful choices, your second photo is of the bell! A BELL!,... and it isn't even color-matched.

The bike looks awesome. Enjoy it!
all is good for poking here fun on C&V.....

the bell is color matched as best I could. this bike a rider which means commutes and mups so a bell is handy. and it was probably most silly cost wise for size part on the bike https://www.spurcycle.com/products/s...42808808374450

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-08-23, 02:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Liked 6,559 Times in 3,765 Posts

the bell is color matched as best I could. this bike a rider which means commutes and mups so a bell is handy. and it was probably most silly cost wise for size part on the bike https://www.spurcycle.com/products/s...42808808374450
When you just gots to have it.

You have to go all in on this, POA is going to be eye watering no matter what and if you compromise or skimp on any detail it falls short.

The Kool-Aid factor has to be maximized to get all the way there on these IMO.

Very cool, so glad you got there.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-08-23, 09:30 PM
Bad Lag

the bell is color matched as best I could.
DOH! My brain did not register the green dot, just the black.

I ride on a beach bike path and the surrounding streets. All are crowded with people, all the time, so I understand having one. I'm sure your bell will get used. I know I use, "On your left", a LOT. I use my brakes even more.

There are some places I ride where, "Cuidado" is more appropriate, if you need to be understood. I betcha a bell is universal.