Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Verify identity and value of Cinelli

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 12:01 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Verify identity and value of Cinelli

I need help from the Cinelli experts, please. The seller claims to be the original owner of what he says is a Model B that he bought new in 1973. There are no decals as he repainted it sometime in the past. It has Campagnolo NR brakes, but the front cable hanger suggests it once had Universal Mod. 61 centerpulls. If this is in fact a Model B made in the 1972-73 timeframe, it would have been one of the last. Does it appear to be what the seller claims, and what value does it have in it's current condition? FYI - it's my frame size so it not for a flip. These are the only two photos I have.

Last edited by Brad L; 05-26-23 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-26-23, 05:33 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Have you tried comparing it with other known Bs? I don't know if Cinelli serial numbers are meaningful, but it might be worth prying that out of the seller.
Old 05-26-23, 06:07 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I assume you have done all of the obligatory internet searches? It helps me to know that so I don't regurgitate info that you've already been privy to.

Here is a thread where the OP says he has found a '73 Model B. You might find some good info in the thread. His bike had center pulls.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...b-finally.html
Old 05-26-23, 06:09 AM
TugaDude

Here's the bottom bracket of the bike featured in the thread that I linked. You might compare it to the one you are interested in.

Old 05-26-23, 06:58 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,340 Times in 2,180 Posts
-----

one thing not mentioned is if seller states it to be a factory assembled machine or it purchased as a frameset

Cinelli stockists could order either framsesets or complete machines

in 1972 had the opportunity to see in person a factory assembled Model B of 1969

it was kitted with T.A. trois attachees chainset,

Campag NR gear ensemble

Campag NT hubs

NITOR saddle pillar

Universal 61 brakeset

it was done up in the house silver livery

suspect machine in photo has had some equipment upgrades since it was ex-works

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-26-23, 08:51 AM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I assume you have done all of the obligatory internet searches? It helps me to know that so I don't regurgitate info that you've already been privy to.

Here is a thread where the OP says he has found a '73 Model B. You might find some good info in the thread. His bike had center pulls.
Yes, I found that thread, and the main difference other than components are the chrome socks on the red one.
Old 05-26-23, 09:09 AM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Have you tried comparing it with other known Bs? I don't know if Cinelli serial numbers are meaningful, but it might be worth prying that out of the seller.
The number 56 is stamped on the bb shell, which he thought was the frame size, but the frame measures 53cm ctt. The serial numbers on the registry follow no order that I can see so I don't think it's relevant.
Old 05-26-23, 09:20 AM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

one thing not mentioned is if seller states it to be a factory assembled machine or it purchased as a frameset

Cinelli stockists could order either framsesets or complete machines
I sent the seller a few more questions. The sale includes a few extra parts, an early NR front and rear derailleur set and wheels with high flange Record hubs among them. I'm fairly certain it's a Model B, but the repaint without decals should affect the value. I know vintage bike sale are soft right now, but any idea what a current value would be. It'll be a 500 mile round trip to pick up.
Old 05-26-23, 09:22 AM
TugaDude

No Cinelli bikes had a 2-digit serial number that I can tell. Whether they ever marked BBs with the frame size is unknown to me. There are a lot of Cinelli owners here on the forum who can confirm yes or no. You might ask over on the C&V forum as many of the members don't bother with this specific area.

This website, ( https://thecinelliregistry.com/ ) shows a large number of registered Cinelli Model Bs and with a few exceptions the numbering does follow somewhat of a pattern. But like I said, there are exceptions so nothing dogmatic can be said as to where a particular number might belong in the sequence.
Still, I think it is helpful. I also think the owner of the bike should look harder to see if there is a 4-digit number on the BB or perhaps elsewhere, such a on one of the rear dropouts, etc.

Also, just found this which might be helpful.

Cinelli Head Badges:
1949 - 1958 56mm Cinelli crest paint-filled silver-plate over brass head badge
1958 - 1971 51mm Cinelli crest paint-filled silver-plate over brass head badge
1971 - 1978 Cinelli crest anodized aluminum head badge
1978 - 1979 Cinelli crest decal head badge
1979 - today Flying C decal head badge

Last edited by TugaDude; 05-26-23 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-26-23, 12:34 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,340 Times in 2,180 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
I sent the seller a few more questions. The sale includes a few extra parts, an early NR front and rear derailleur set and wheels with high flange Record hubs among them. I'm fairly certain it's a Model B, but the repaint without decals should affect the value. I know vintage bike sale are soft right now, but any idea what a current value would be. It'll be a 500 mile round trip to pick up.
-----

absence of appraisal in me post not an oversight

have not purchased or sold a cycle in many a year so am out of touch with "the market"

estimates from others sure to be more valid than any made by me

---

prior to plunking down any hard earned would think it wise to verify authenticity
do not wish to challenge authenticity

at this era the Cinelli lugs, crowns and shells were bits available to all

there were "above ground" replicas done by other makers and badged with other names

one moderately well-known example was that of Pinzani

the presence of the headplate here is not an ironclad guarantee; they were sold separately BITD; purchased some meself from Spence Wolf of Cupertino Bike Shop in California; the aluminum material is correct for the date given; earlier ones were brass or brass plated steel

happily, the forum has a number of Cinelli experts who can contribute their knowledge

one such you may wish to hear from is martl

-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-26-23 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 05-27-23, 11:07 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26420 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...there was a completely restored Model B Cinelli in the C+V sales thread here, not too long ago.
Suggest maybe PM to the seller and eventual buyer of that bicycle, although it was somewhat older than this one.
Old 05-27-23, 11:30 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
If I came across it, I would gladly drop $500 or more to take the chance.
You would easily get more than that back by parting out.
Evidently, the owner swapped out components over the course of time.
The brakeset looks like Super Record from the late-seventies.
Hopefully the seller will include the original shifters together with the derailleurs.
That headbadge looks fantastic. A high-quality rechrome and repaint will set you back two grand.
Old 05-28-23, 10:09 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...there was a completely restored Model B Cinelli in the C+V sales thread here, not too long ago.
Suggest maybe PM to the seller and eventual buyer of that bicycle, although it was somewhat older than this one.
Nothing about that bike was restored.

As for the OP, without proper pictures, I can't say whether it is a Cinelli or not. But if it is a Cinelli, I'd ballpark the frameset only as $300-$500. $300 for a fast sale, $500 if you are lucky and find the right buyer. Can't say anything about the components.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-01-23, 07:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
It is playing the part of a model B, but…. Tired chrome, repainted… probable chrome to paint transitions moved.
I don’t think $500 will catch it, but a strong case for no more than that could be made.

I have overpaid for bikes before, but they were on the objects of desire list and filled that need.
Likes For repechage: