Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone recognize this possibly French track frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-23, 11:52 AM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 70 Posts

Just won this on ebay, maybe somebody will recognize it. Lots of stronglight bits so i assume its french. Wont have any better pictures till it arrives, but maybe its easy for some of you.

Old 05-11-23, 09:58 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 1,104 Times in 819 Posts
It DOES have Stronglight cranks, but the forkblades (and Vagner crown) are not the expected round blades you'd see on a typical Pista frame.
Not sure about the lugs: have sockets reminiscent of the style seen on Motobecane and one other FR marque...but not exactly those. Likewise not Oscar Egg either.
mis-matched wheels...my one-man jury is still out, I cannot say what this might be, but curious what others will observe!
What country did it ship from?
Old 05-12-23, 01:06 AM
geeteeiii

It came from France. Headset is also Stronglight and wheels are Wolber/Spidel combos.

Edit: Actually Motobecane from the 70-s seems like a pretty good match, found some that are identical in lug use with just the seatstay end treatment abit different. Thanks for the hint.

Last edited by geeteeiii; 05-12-23 at 01:43 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-12-23, 11:25 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

well that might not be a GOOD tip, but the models sold in USA in the '70s did not include any pista frames, AFAIK...offerings were different in Europe.
I think a better angle might be to search for that OTHER FR brand that used similar lugs because you might find the seat cluster was more like what you have here. But I cannot recall if that was Jeunet or Lejeune?
Then again this could well be something from a small-output maker/custom. Look for a serial number when you have the frame in hand
Old 06-07-23, 06:09 AM
geeteeiii

Well i got it. Serial is 17718. Seat post size is around 25.7-26mm, hard to measure as it seems to have had a wrong sized seatpost.

Likes For geeteeiii:
Old 06-07-23, 10:11 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 699 Posts
I think those are Bocama Model 18 lugs with Type II sockets, and what I bet is a Gargatte bottom bracket shell. The swaged-over seat stay tops make me think "Gitane," and at first blush I would think perhaps their Mexico model 1904, a European market model that was 3-tubes metric 531, so 26.4 mm seat post would have been issued. Otherwise, maybe a 25.8 which would have been some nameless steel - but I suspect it's had an undersized seatpost and can be massaged back out to full size. These were discussed in this thread from a few years back, and also this one.

But the lugs are throwing me a bit, as I can't recall ever seeing a Gitane built with Bocama lugs with the Type II sockets - but then, it IS a bike purchased in Europe, and Gitane built bikes with Huret dropouts for the continental market in the late 60s that were never imported here, long before they fell in love with the Huret honeycomb dropout in the early-mid 70s. And Mel Pinto specified things not sold in Europe, so there you go.

The fork might not be original - I don't recall seeing a Vagner crown on a Gitane before, either.

Maybe we should call in @verktyg and @juvela?
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 06-07-23, 11:54 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

yeah^ this has some very unusual details that certainly point away from Motobecane (at least for USA models) and AFAIK not any typical Gitane, either.
I haven't seen those BCM lugs on any frame I can recall (but now I know what they are called, Model 18 with type II sockets, if it ever does happen) and I know that BB shell has a name but I don't think it's a Gargette, cause they nearly always have the "RGF" in oval stamp on top of the shell.
I'm sure that Juvela has ID'd this brand shell at least once before, but I forget...
Old 06-07-23, 12:22 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
yeah^
I haven't seen those BCM lugs on any frame I can recall (but now I know what they are called, Model 18 with type II sockets, if it ever does happen)
Bocama apparently used that socket shape (as seen on the ends of the top tube and the head lug of the down tube) on several different models of lugs. I first learned about them whilst IDing my since-sold '74 Allegro, which had the slightly fancier Model 14/Type II - also used on certain years of the Peugeot PA-10, anniversary-era Raleigh Super Courses (but ONLY on the 25.5-in size!), some Jeunets, etc.
Likes For rustystrings61: