Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thrift & Frugality - a quality or a meanness?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thrift & Frugality - a quality or a meanness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18529 Post(s)
Liked 15,889 Times in 7,458 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
One does what one can but I have long felt like someone in one of the lifeboats who is watching the Titanic slowly sink beneath the water while all around me are people who were not provided with a lifeboat and so they are slowly freezing to death one by one.

You are not in a lifeboat or in some protective bubble. We are all on the same boat, whether you are trying to plug the leaks or not. You reducing your carbon footprint won't save you if the earth ends up sinking. Sorry, but I have to believe you are just trying to pull peoples' legs. No one can be that off naturally. Or do you believe you are on another planet and THAT is what you mean being in a lifeboat?

Either way, it's time update the iggy list once again, doc.
Old 06-13-23, 01:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5049 Post(s)
Liked 8,314 Times in 3,926 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I don't think I'm reducing my carbon footprint with a V8 truck and V6 SUV.
Have you tried smaller tires?
Old 06-13-23, 01:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10541 Post(s)
Liked 12,119 Times in 6,205 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

You are not in a lifeboat or in some protective bubble. We are all on the same boat, whether you are trying to plug the leaks or not. You reducing your carbon footprint won't save you if the earth ends up sinking. Sorry, but I have to believe you are just trying to pull peoples' legs. No one can be that off naturally. Or do you believe you are on another planet and THAT is what you mean being in a lifeboat?
While it's true that climate change will change the climate for everyone, it will hit some areas harder than others, and a lot of those areas are where the poorest people live. By contrast, people living in more affuent countries, and especially the more affluent people living in more affluent countries, are likely to be not only less impacted, but also able to afford moving to less affected areas.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-13-23, 01:34 PM
BBB_Adrift

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdubs
I prefer quality and to buy something that will last me a while. That doesn't always mean it's expensive. I have seen absolute garbage for sale with a high price tag and amazing quality for cheap. Each purchase is a chance to exercise your values in relation to capitalism and social responsibility.
Terry Pratchett espouses a socially aware position on the politics of keeping people poor by making them buy cheap repeatedly. Worth a Google.
Old 06-13-23, 01:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by BBB_Adrift
Your anecdotes please; either introspective self-awareness or settling scores with the mean person who dissed you last decade and against whom you still harbour a grudge ;-)
I'm not saying I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die, but if I did, would that be a good anecdote?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-13-23, 01:36 PM
BBB_Adrift

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Originally Posted by genejockey
Anyone brought up The Paradox Of Thrift yet? Okay.

We generally recognize thrift as an individual virtue - not buying things you don't need, making do with what you have, making it last as long as possible, saving your money.

However, in order to feed, clothe, and house the population, you need enough economic activity to provide jobs for everyone. Economic activity = some people make stuff, some people do stuff, some people sell stuff, other people pay for that stuff. People buying goods and services is where jobs come from. The more goods and services people buy, the more jobs there are, and the more people can afford to buy goods and services.

So, if EVERYONE cut back on their purchases, only ever bought what they really needed, made do with less, and saved their money, a whole lot of people would be out of work. What is individually virtuous may be catastrophic at the level of the whole economy.
or the economy would change to become focused on important things? Good to see a fellow Klaatu aficionado.
Likes For BBB_Adrift:
Old 06-13-23, 01:38 PM
BBB_Adrift

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm not saying I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die, but if I did, would that be a good anecdote?
It depends on how you recount the episode. Factual, cold, emotional, long-winded. Etc....

Give it a go.
Old 06-13-23, 01:42 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 874 Posts
My newest bicycle was originally made in 1999, and I don't have much of an urge to get anything newer. What I have serves my needs.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I have hoarded curated a collection of spare parts for myself, my family, and maybe dozens of friends (if I had them). But nearly all of these parts are of the less-cutting-edge type - all the cranks are square taper and internal bearing, most of the chains and freewheels/cassettes are 6-7-8 speed, quill-type stems - you get the idea. Not fancy, not newish, but fully functional.

Earlier today, I dropped off half a truck load of patched tubes, refurbished parts, and even a reassembled bike for the Recycle Your Bicycle program. If RYB had to buy these items from a distributor, even at wholesale prices, this would cost the program thousands of dollars. Happy to spend some of my free time to help out this and other good programs.

But if you like or want carbon fiber, DI2, and all that fancy new stuff, great. Hope you have very fun rides on 'em.

No hurry in getting off my lawn.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 06-13-23, 01:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

or the economy would change to become focused on important things? Good to see a fellow Klaatu aficionado.
The problem with that is, where does the money come from to provide goods and services for everybody?

I'm not saying that it's necessarily a good thing that the economy relies on overconsumption to enable full employment, but I have yet to see a workable counterproposal.

I wonder to what extent copyright law made Sam Raimi go with "Klaatu Verata Nikto" as opposed to that Klaatu REALLY said, which was "Klaatu BARADA Nikto"?

Old 06-13-23, 01:46 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 874 Posts
I wonder to what extent copyright law made Sam Raimi go with "Klaatu Verata Nikto" as opposed to that Klaatu REALLY said, which was "Klaatu BARADA Nikto"?
I'm beginning to suspect this particular issue is really getting your Gort.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 06-13-23, 01:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7089 Post(s)
Liked 11,207 Times in 4,784 Posts
Anyone brought up The Paradox Of Thrift yet? Okay.

We generally recognize thrift as an individual virtue - not buying things you don't need, making do with what you have, making it last as long as possible, saving your money.

However, in order to feed, clothe, and house the population, you need enough economic activity to provide jobs for everyone. Economic activity = some people make stuff, some people do stuff, some people sell stuff, other people pay for that stuff. People buying goods and services is where jobs come from. The more goods and services people buy, the more jobs there are, and the more people can afford to buy goods and services.

So, if EVERYONE cut back on their purchases, only ever bought what they really needed, made do with less, and saved their money, a whole lot of people would be out of work. What is individually virtuous may be catastrophic at the level of the whole economy.
I don't want to set you off, but this is fallacious 'logic.' At least, the conclusion that this would be a 'bad' outcome does not logically follow. At all.

If everyone consumed less, we wouldn't need as many jobs and/or people with jobs wouldn't need to work as many hours. That's the logical consequence of people spending less: they don't need as much income and the economy is not called upon to produce as much stuff.

The nasty paradox is that this would suit many people: in survey after survey, many (perhaps most -- I'm not current in the literature) full-time workers indicate that they would prefer to have shorter workweeks and proportionately smaller paychecks -- but large segments of the economy are built around FT or even FT+ employment, since there are substantial fixed costs per worker (hiring, training, eventual separation, benefits, etc) and hence firms would prefer to have fewer workers putting in longer hours. In survey after survey, when people are asked to list the things they most enjoy, or the things on which they'd like to spend more time, things that cost money are never in the top few categories. They want more time to go to church, to spend with their families, to have sex...I'll bet many people on this forum would like more riding time. If the labor market were structured to allow that, many people would choose to work less and be happier. We wouldn't need as many jobs.

Last edited by Koyote; 06-13-23 at 01:57 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-13-23, 01:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't want to set you off, but this is fallacious 'logic.' At least, the conclusion that this would be a 'bad' outcome does not logically follow. At all.

If everyone consumed less, we wouldn't need as many jobs and/or people with jobs wouldn't need to work as many hours. That's the logical consequence of people spending less: they don't need as much income and the economy is not called upon to produce as much stuff.

The nasty paradox is that this would suit many people: in survey after survey, many (perhaps most -- I'm not current in the literature) full-time workers indicate that they would prefer to have shorter workweeks and proportionately smaller paychecks -- but large segments of the economy are built around FT or even FT+ employment, since there are substantial fixed costs per worker (hiring, training, eventual separation, benefits, etc) and hence firms would prefer to have fewer workers putting in longer hours.
We don't need to argue logic here. We can simply look at how things actually work - A recession is what happens when everyone cuts back on their spending. Fewer man-hours are then required to produce all the goods and services that are consumed, and that leads to increased unemployment.

Note - this is how it works AS THINGS ARE NOW, that is, with the current economic system. It COULD work differently under a different economic system, but we don't have a different economic system.

Old 06-13-23, 02:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

In survey after survey, when people are asked to list the things they most enjoy, or the things on which they'd like to spend more time, things that cost money are never in the top few categories. They want more time to go to church, to spend with their families, to have sex...I'll bet many people on this forum would like more riding time. If the labor market were structured to allow that, many people would choose to work less and be happier. We wouldn't need as many jobs.
There's what people say, and then there's what people DO. Church attendance has been falling for decades, for example. OTOH, people keep spending more money on stuff.

Old 06-13-23, 02:10 PM
Koyote

We don't need to argue logic here. We can simply look at how things actually work - A recession is what happens when everyone cuts back on their spending. Fewer man-hours are then required to produce all the goods and services that are consumed, and that leads to increased unemployment.

Note - this is how it works AS THINGS ARE NOW, that is, with the current economic system. It COULD work differently under a different economic system, but we don't have a different economic system.
You're not addressing my post. Not at all.

But I will respond. A recession is most commonly defined as a reduction in Real GDP that lasts for at least two quarters...So yes, if spending fell fast enough and far enough, there would be a recession. But if that is driven by people's preferences to consume less (and work less, and hence earn less -- which is compatible with consuming less), then unemployment would NOT increase. (Here I suspect that, like most people, you simply don't understand the actual definition of "unemployment." A person is counted as unemployed if she is not working and actually wants a job. If no job is sought, the person is not in the labor force.)

And by the way, none of this is incompatible with "the current economic system." We each make these decisions all the time -- decisions about whether (and, if we have the latitude, how much) to work...For example, when retiring, dropping out of the labor force to raise a family or pursue education, etc.

Your argument reflects the sort of capitalist indoctrination that we get from people with an introductory-level understanding of economics.
Old 06-13-23, 02:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

You're not addressing my post. Not at all.
I'm sorry, but that's just nonsense. Here, let me quote it for you:

"Note - this is how it works AS THINGS ARE NOW, that is, with the current economic system. It COULD work differently under a different economic system, but we don't have a different economic system."

But I will respond. A recession is most commonly defined as a reduction in Real GDP that lasts for at least two quarters...So yes, if spending fell fast enough and far enough, there would be a recession. But if that is driven by people's preferences to consume less (and work less, and hence earn less -- which is compatible with consuming less), then unemployment would NOT increase. (Here I suspect that, like most people, you simply don't understand the actual definition of "unemployment." A person is counted as unemployed if she is not working and actually wants a job. If no job is sought, the person is not in the labor force.)
So, basically, if people were different, things would be different. Also, I know what the definition of "unemployment" is, *******.

And by the way, none of this is incompatible with "the current economic system." We each make these decisions all the time -- decisions about whether (and, if we have the latitude, how much) to work...For example, when retiring, dropping out of the labor force to raise a family or pursue education, etc.

Your argument reflects the sort of capitalist indoctrination that we get from people with an introductory-level understanding of economics.
Or, more accurately, actual observation of how things work, not how they'd work if unicorns farted rainbows people weren't who they are.

Old 06-13-23, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

It depends on how you recount the episode. Factual, cold, emotional, long-winded. Etc....

Give it a go.
Old 06-13-23, 02:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I'm beginning to suspect this particular issue is really getting your Gort.

Shhhh, bad puns are grounds for planetary extinction.
Old 06-13-23, 02:42 PM
Koyote

I'm sorry, but that's just nonsense. Here, let me quote it for you:

"Note - this is how it works AS THINGS ARE NOW, that is, with the current economic system. It COULD work differently under a different economic system, but we don't have a different economic system."

So, basically, if people were different, things would be different. Also, I know what the definition of "unemployment" is, *******.

Or, more accurately, actual observation of how things work, not how they'd work if unicorns farted rainbows people weren't who they are.
I'll try to break this down into the smallest chunks possible, but I suspect you're not open to actually thinking deeply about this.

1) If people prefer to spend less, that's compatible with working and earning less.

2) If people actually spend, work, and earn less, then the economy doesn't need to have as many jobs and doesn't need to produce as much stuff - because people are not buying as much.

3) Since this is driven by people's preferences (see #1, above), then an economy with fewer jobs and lower output actually reflects people's preferences.

4) An economic system that responds to people's preferences is called market capitalism. (Would you prefer a system that doesn't respond to people's preferences? Honest Q.)

5) This is precisely how the average hours per working year in the US were able to fall fairly steadily for a loong time, right up into the mid-twentieth century. As we became more productive, people worked less and didn't really suffer any more material deprivation. Again, that's how an efficient market works: it gives people what they want.

I don't know how to make it any simpler than this. In my experience, a reasonably bright (B- or better) introductory econ student can grasp this.
Old 06-13-23, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Wait, is Gort a supply side/trickle down economics guy?
Old 06-13-23, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'll try to break this down into the smallest chunks possible, but I suspect you're not open to actually thinking deeply about this.

1) If people prefer to spend less, that's compatible with working and earning less.

2) If people actually spend, work, and earn less, then the economy doesn't need to have as many jobs and doesn't need to produce as much stuff - because people are not buying as much.

3) Since this is driven by people's preferences (see #1, above), then an economy with fewer jobs and lower output actually reflects people's preferences.

4) An economic system that responds to people's preferences is called market capitalism. (Would you prefer a system that doesn't respond to people's preferences? Honest Q.)

5) This is precisely how the average hours per working year in the US were able to fall fairly steadily for a loong time, right up into the mid-twentieth century. As we became more productive, people worked less and didn't really suffer any more material deprivation. Again, that's how an efficient market works: it gives people what they want.

I don't know how to make it any simpler than this. In my experience, a reasonably bright (B- or better) introductory econ student can grasp this.

#5 isn't consistent with the rest of your argument. People in the early to mid-20th century were working less but earning and consuming more (with the exception of the Great Depression) And speaking of the Great Depression, the crash of demand led to deflation, which discouraged investment, which caused unemployment which decreased demand which caused deflation which....

When demand crashed to its lowest, there was 25-50% unemployment. And people were definitely deprived.

You both seem to be carrying this to some pretty extreme conclusions.
Old 06-13-23, 03:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Shorter Koyote: If people were different, things would be different.

I grasp all of what you wrote, but I'd observe that the world doesn't actually work that way. I mean, it's a lovely hypothesis, but empirical observation indicates otherwise. When demand falls in the real world, the people who leave the ranks of the employed generally don't do so by choice, and they aren't generally people who only worked to be able to buy more stuff. The worst hit are usually the ones whose jobs provide little beyond necessities. A bunch of people in the middle class decide to cut back on spending, and a lot of working class people find themselves out of work. You make it sound like the reduction in manhours worked is a beneficial thing, spreading across the workforce evenly, rather than wrenching dislocation for a significant chunk of the population and fear of the same happening to them for a larger chunk.

Plus, you really did the labor movement a considerable disservice with your description of how the work week was shortened in the first half of the 20th Century.

I understand what you're saying. It just doesn't comport well with how reality has worked for at least the length of my adult life.

Old 06-13-23, 03:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

#5 isn't consistent with the rest of your argument. People in the early to mid-20th century were working less but earning and consuming more (with the exception of the Great Depression) And speaking of the Great Depression, the crash of demand led to deflation, which discouraged investment, which caused unemployment which decreased demand which caused deflation which....

When demand crashed to its lowest, there was 25-50% unemployment. And people were definitely deprived.

You both seem to be carrying this to some pretty extreme conclusions.
I'm not sure my conclusion is that extreme. Let's say everyone decided to cut their spending by 10%. You'd dine out less, so the restaurants you frequent would have less cash coming in, so maybe they would have to lay off one or more people. The newly laid-off people now have even less income, so they spend less. And because a lot of businesses are seeing less demand, they're not hiring, and maybe are also laying off workers, meaning it takes longer for the laid off workers to find new employment, meaning their reduced spending lasts longer.

You see how it works? ONE PERSON being frugal is great. EVERYONE being frugal - especially all of a sudden - and you have a big disruption. The ideal thing is to be a frugal person in an economy of over-consumers.

Old 06-13-23, 03:25 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 1,854 Posts
I'm not saying that it's necessarily a good thing that the economy relies on overconsumption to enable full employment, but I have yet to see a workable counterproposal.
If everyone manages to life fulfilling lives without consuming so much stuff, maybe people won't need to work so much, and "full employment" will become a curios anachronism.

Also, it is definitely not a good thing that there is overconsumption, as that path is leading us towards an uninhabitable planet.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-13-23, 03:31 PM
Koyote

#5 isn't consistent with the rest of your argument. People in the early to mid-20th century were working less but earning and consuming more
How is that inconsistent? As I wrote, people chose (through union agreements, then later through gov't policy) to take part of their share of the 'productivity dividend' in the form of shorter working hours.

Again, there is nothing "extreme" in my argument. In fact, I wouldn't even characterize it as an argument. It is, however, rather extreme (or at least weird) to argue that people should have to work more than they want to -- for any reason. That's not an economy that I would find attractive.
Old 06-13-23, 03:43 PM
Koyote

I grasp all of what you wrote, but I'd observe that the world doesn't actually work that way. I mean, it's a lovely hypothesis, but empirical observation indicates otherwise. When demand falls in the real world, the people who leave the ranks of the employed generally don't do so by choice, and they aren't generally people who only worked to be able to buy more stuff. The worst hit are usually the ones whose jobs provide little beyond necessities. A bunch of people in the middle class decide to cut back on spending, and a lot of working class people find themselves out of work. You make it sound like the reduction in manhours worked is a beneficial thing, spreading across the workforce evenly, rather than wrenching dislocation for a significant chunk of the population and fear of the same happening to them for a larger chunk.
Yes, agreed. It would work best with substantial income redistribution...Which is quite common in many other advanced economies, but the US is indeed very different in that regard.

​​​​​​
Plus, you really did the labor movement a considerable disservice with your description of how the work week was shortened in the first half of the 20th Century.
That was not really a focus of the explanation, so I didn't mention the mechanism through which working hours were reduced...but my response to livedarklions , above (which I posted before reading your latest) might make you happier.

Regarding your claim that I'm arguing that "if people were different, things would be different": I mentioned some survey data about the working lives that people actually want...and those results are not restricted just to highly-paid professionals. (Though they may not reflect the increasing number of very low-paid workers in our economy.) What prevents us from having a labor market which more effectively satisfies people's desires is (less work for some, higher wages [which bring the possibility of easier lives] for others), is capital's market power -- the power to prevent any change that reduces profits for a very small class of people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.