Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thrift & Frugality - a quality or a meanness?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thrift & Frugality - a quality or a meanness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 03:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10583 Post(s)
Liked 12,186 Times in 6,243 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
If everyone manages to life fulfilling lives without consuming so much stuff, maybe people won't need to work so much, and "full employment" will become a curios anachronism.

Also, it is definitely not a good thing that there is overconsumption, as that path is leading us towards an uninhabitable planet.
I don't think we get where we want to go solely by frugality. If people are convinced they're being called upon to sacrifice stuff in the present for a future they can't picture, they won't do it. We see this already.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-13-23, 03:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yes, agreed. It would work best with substantial income redistribution...Which is quite common in many other advanced economies, but the US is indeed very different in that regard.
So, LESS market capitalism, more social democracy, because market capitalism doesn't really provide everything people want on its own.

Also note that you just proposed a different economic system. You can argue semantically that it's not THAT different, but it's different from what we currently have.

​​​​​​
That was not really a focus of the explanation, so I didn't mention the mechanism through which working hours were reduced...but my response to livedarklions , above (which I posted before reading your latest) might make you happier.
I'm pretty happy with the empirical confirmation of my point, thanks.

Regarding your claim that I'm arguing that "if people were different, things would be different": I mentioned some survey data about the working lives that people actually want...and those results are not restricted just to highly-paid professionals. (Though they may not reflect the increasing number of very low-paid workers in our economy.) What prevents us from having a labor market which more effectively satisfies people's desires is (less work for some, higher wages [which bring the possibility of easier lives] for others), is capital's market power -- the power to prevent any change that reduces profits for a very small class of people.
I take surveys with a grain of salt, and prefer to observe people's actual behavior. We say we want to work less, but companies have to put in maximum vacation accrual because people don't even take the much-lower number of vacation days we Americans get, and it adds up. We say we're willing to do with less, but we keep borrowing money to buy more stuff. So, which do you believe? What people SAY THEY WANT or what people ACTUALLY DO? I tend to believe the latter.

Also, I'd note that, yet again, you are implicitly agreeing that the economic system would have to change.

Old 06-13-23, 04:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7111 Post(s)
Liked 11,246 Times in 4,803 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So, LESS market capitalism, more social democracy, because market capitalism doesn't really provide everything people want on its own.
I suspect you know that we don't live in a pure market capitalist system...Far from it. In fact, such a system (arguably) has only existed for a few brief periods in a few places, like Western Europe in the early modern age. And that was so awful that societies almost immediately started restraining it. (See Karl Polanyi's The Great Transformation as a starting point.)

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by genejockey
Also, I'd note that, yet again, you are implicitly agreeing that the economic system would have to change.
Not qualitatively, since we live in a system with substantial government redistribution and social control over the operation of capital. But your attitude seems rather extreme: We can't do anything to allow greater happiness if it means changing the system. Yikes.

I'm just glad that you finally seem to understand the point I was making in posts 37 and 44. You seem to understand that it's theoretically possible, even if not probable. That's progress.
Old 06-13-23, 04:17 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 548 Posts
All your hydrocarbons are belong to us

Just FYI; I am enabling all of y'alls carbon footprint.

You're welcome
Old 06-13-23, 04:23 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 432 Posts
I moved to Japan years ago, and married into a Japanese family. In Japan, people are frugal as a rule, they spend carefully, and save as much as they can, much like Americans did a few generations ago. My wife, in Japanese fashion, manages the finances, deciding how much we can spend, and putting away the rest for our kids’ college tuition and our own retirement. We both work, and both do well, and this has allowed us to own a home, a car, and other things while having no debt. We tend to spend on the things we “need,” and not on things we merely “want.”

The relationship between income and happiness is largely imaginary. I’ve lived on both ends of the economic ladder, and found that I could be happy on either end. But one thing which will always cause stress and trouble is spending more than you earn. Money is a medium we can use to exchange the value of labor, but, in good hands (even your own, with practice) it is something which can be sowed and reaped to make more money. You can spend money, or you can use it to make more money, the latter is the wiser choice, and can often give you more satisfaction than the mere act of buying more things.

The desire to buy things is foolish, because things are just things, and the pleasure we feel when we get a new toy quickly fades. The goal of marketing and advertising is to sell us things we don’t need and can’t afford. There is a lot of science behind marketing and advertising which is designed to part us with our money as quickly as possible, and most of us who have gotten into economic trouble have done so not because of too-low wages, but too-high spending.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 06-13-23, 04:23 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
When I was young many futurists predicted that we would all work less in the next century as technology would greatly increase productivity. In theory, we would all be able to consume at the same level while working less to achieve that. Alas that theory relied on the workers seeing the benefit of the gains in productivity. The added value of technology has certainly increased wealth but the distribution thereof has remained somewhat unequal.
Old 06-13-23, 04:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Koyote
I suspect you know that we don't live in a pure market capitalist system...Far from it. In fact, such a system (arguably) has only existed for a few brief periods in a few places, like Western Europe in the early modern age. And that was so awful that societies almost immediately started restraining it. (See Karl Polanyi's The Great Transformation as a starting point.)
Capitalism is not a way of life, it's a tool, and like many tools needs to be carefully controlled or it will cut your hand off.

Not qualitatively, since we live in a system with substantial government redistribution and social control over the operation of capital. But your attitude seems rather extreme: We can't do anything to allow greater happiness if it means changing the system. Yikes.
No, my attitude is "This is how the system as it is works. If we want it to work differently, we need to change it.

I'm just glad that you finally seem to understand the point I was making in posts 37 and 44. You seem to understand that it's theoretically possible, even if not probable. That's progress.
It's theoretically possible if we change how the system works, which you seem to be acknowledging. I'm describing how the system as it is works. Again, you want a different result, you need to change the system. I don't think the system we currently have is optimal.

Old 06-13-23, 04:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18557 Post(s)
Liked 15,964 Times in 7,501 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
When I was young many futurists predicted that we would all work less in the next century as technology would greatly increase productivity. In theory, we would all be able to consume at the same level while working less to achieve that. Alas that theory relied on the workers seeing the benefit of the gains in productivity. The added value of technology has certainly increased wealth but the distribution thereof has remained somewhat unequal.
At least there are Spandex jackets for everyone. Just too bad they come with short warranties and fade easily, requiring you to turn them inside out if you want to be frugal.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-23, 05:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

In Star Trek, cheap energy and molecular transmutation largely rendered "work" in the current sense unnecessary, and the benefits were share by all, ending poverty and allowing mankind to seek the stars. There are, no doubt, a number of more dystopian stories with much the same premise but a vastly different result, where those benefits are NOT shared equally.

Old 06-13-23, 05:18 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,533 Posts
If a cyclist really wants to reduce their carbon footprint, they need to purchase the less expensive shoes with the nylon plates/soles instead of the high end ones with the carbon plates/soles.
Old 06-13-23, 05:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by seypat
If a cyclist really wants to reduce their carbon footprint, they need to purchase the less expensive shoes with the nylon plates/soles instead of the high end ones with the carbon plates/soles.
Or buy the same carbon-soled shoes, but in a smaller size.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-13-23, 05:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22719 Post(s)
Liked 9,088 Times in 4,224 Posts
If thrift is mean, I am super mean.

Know what I mean?
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-13-23, 07:03 PM
MagnaRota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Be thrifty on your own terms.

It leaves you with more money to spend, also on your own terms. It doesn't seem too complicated.
Old 06-13-23, 07:09 PM
seypat

There's nothing special about being mean. That's just an average condition. Now if you like to ride your bike on the divider between the lanes, that's a different situation.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-13-23, 07:21 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
This image is making me crazy about breakfast cereal for some reason.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-13-23, 07:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked 3,517 Times in 1,849 Posts
"Mean" means "cheapskate" in Britspeak.

There's nothing special about being mean. That's just an average condition. Now if you like to ride your bike on the divider between the lanes, that's a different situation.
Then there is "mean" vs. "median."
Old 06-13-23, 07:38 PM
seypat

I tend to be thrifty when reserving a rental car.
Old 06-13-23, 07:40 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked 3,517 Times in 1,849 Posts
Sometimes (with regular frequency) I laugh at these posts so hard that it Hertz.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-13-23, 08:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

"Mean" means "cheapskate" in Britspeak.

Then there is "mean" vs. "median."
What do I mean by the word 'mean'? What do I mean by the word 'word'? What do I mean by 'what do I mean'? What do I mean by 'do' and what do I do by 'mean'? And what do I do by do by do and what do I mean by wasting your time like this? Good night.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-13-23, 08:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Sometimes (with regular frequency) I laugh at these posts so hard that it Hertz.
It's probably a sine of something untoward.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-13-23, 10:07 PM
BBB_Adrift

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
In fairness to "the futurists", the next century is still young. We are less than a 1/4 of the way through it. The reports coming out now about the threats posed by AI seem (to my eyes) to be evidence that we lie on the cusp of just this eventuality. Caveat: AI-based manufacturing/industry/services will predominate principally in countries where labour costs are highest. In the Middle East (where I currently reside), one sees cheap labour used in preference to expensive tools as the economics work that way.

The psychological hurdle for govt/legislators seems to be how to justify paying people to not work. The first trials are being held in UK now, where people are being paid a (relatively) high wage to stay out of the labour market. One could argue that this is an extension of the welfare state and, to a degree it is, but it's based on a gradual realisation that there are some traditional jobs that can now be better (and more cheaply and consistently reliably) done by machine than by man.
Old 06-14-23, 03:56 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BBB_Adrift
I think most guys do that....ONCE.
Speak for yourself.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-14-23, 03:59 AM
indyfabz

I tend to be thrifty when reserving a rental car.
I always pay a dollar.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-14-23, 04:31 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 833 Posts
Originally Posted by BBB_Adrift
Yes. Look at the recent threads.

Then think.
Well, golly. Thanks for clearing that up?
Old 06-14-23, 04:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 833 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I always pay a dollar.
You sound like an enterprising man.
Likes For Paul Barnard:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.