Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V Terminator

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V Terminator

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 09:46 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 399 Posts
Not technology, but I'd snuff out the current generation of "cyclists". Their fitness exceeds their handling skills.
Old 06-20-23, 10:03 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,672 Times in 1,074 Posts
DUH!

One Thing?

Help... Can't think... I have got a small brain!
Old 06-20-23, 10:50 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,669 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Lawyer Lips. It's damn near impossible to buy front QR dropouts without them.

Here's a recycled post:

I've filed off my share of lawyer lips, and I'll do it again. What's odd is that the tab style double eyelet dropout that Framebuilder supply sells has them. You're building a fork from scratch and your customer needs lawyer lips?

I buy them because they're inexpensive, locally stocked, have double eyelets...but lawyer lips? They file off easily, but it's annoying!
Is that what u put on mine?
Old 06-20-23, 10:52 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
French dimensions.
I like french dimensions, it keeps old french bikes cheap in the USA!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-20-23, 11:03 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked 6,489 Times in 3,727 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
Curious to hear why you don’t love these?
Really?

Well I've ranted about it and the related to me DS cup removal argument plenty here so we'll go over it again.

Just like the cookie cutter, cartridge style disposable threadless HS above, they negate the necessity to learn the valuable skill of dealing with them.

BB's, HS's, bearings, cups, adjustments and all related skills are very valuable in this realm and many others.

Any hack can turn a wrench and screw things up, learning and being able to wrangle these when they muck up gives you the ability to save fussy, sometimes rare valuable parts, pieces and tools.

This type of skill both physical and mental can serve you well in many other tasks and areas that will save you time and $$$$$$ in the long run as well as foster confidence and begat more skill along the way.

And just for the record, the DS cup ALWAYS comes out for proper maintenance, inspection, cleaning and servicing and so it will come out later, no ifs, and's or butts about it, period.

Last edited by merziac; 06-20-23 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-20-23, 11:04 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
... it keeps old french bikes cheap...
And there's another problem. Frugal old farts ending up with 3 Pugs and Moto "because they were cheap". 😜
Old 06-20-23, 11:23 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4703 Post(s)
Liked 5,863 Times in 2,307 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Is that what u put on mine?
Yep! It's the best beefy, double eyelet fork dropout I've found.
Just gotta file off those damn lawyer lips...
Old 06-20-23, 12:10 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
index shifting
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 06-20-23, 12:17 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
and as a follow-up to @jethin and his question about @merziac's distaste for the Shimano sealed bearing bottom bracket:

I think that the use of plastic for the non-drive side retaining cup is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Here in the Great Desert Southwest the combination of environmental factors causes the plastic cups to become brittle
and removal of a damaged one can become a 3 beer experience. (or the convenient 750ml single-serving bottle of
Oregon Pinot Gris)
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 06-20-23, 12:43 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by cyclophilia
and as a follow-up to @jethin and his question about @merziac's distaste for the Shimano sealed bearing bottom bracket:

I think that the use of plastic for the non-drive side retaining cup is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Here in the Great Desert Southwest the combination of environmental factors causes the plastic cups to become brittle
and removal of a damaged one can become a 3 beer experience. (or the convenient 750ml single-serving bottle of
Oregon Pinot Gris)
Yep, that too and not just Shipmano, all cartridge units in general.

The bodge, dodge they create also siphons off untold still good usable parts we will never get back.

Standard drill nowdays is many shops saying "oh we don't service those anymore, the cartridge ones ones are cheaper, better, last longer, blah, blah, blah".

Translation in many cases = we don't know how to work on them without screwing it up anymore.

I firmly view this whole C+V thing and most any mechanical endeavor as a preservation/conservation mission, do no harm, get it right and save all you can.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-20-23, 01:11 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh

Clincher cross section schematic with 1: rim, 2: rim strip, 3: rim braking surface, 4: bead core, 5: inner tube, 6: casing, 7: tread (source: Wikipedia)

Tubulars Rule!
I disagree, tubulars can be subject to more punctures and flats than clinchers .A clincher is a more solid wheel than a a tubular wheel.
Old 06-20-23, 02:44 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
I disagree, tubulars can be subject to more punctures and flats than clinchers .A clincher is a more solid wheel than a a tubular wheel.
I was just attempting a little C&V humor--- and expressing my preference for tires.

I don't believe the OP wanted this to be a thread for debating--- however, possibly, I misunderstood.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-20-23, 02:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,106 Posts
It wouldn't be a component, it wouldn't be a thread standard, and it wouldn't be a part of the sport.

It'd be the biggest technological dinosaur ever to hit North American cycling: John Forester.

-Kurt

Old 06-20-23, 03:09 PM
merziac

I was just attempting a little C&V humor--- and expressing my preference for tires.

I don't believe the OP wanted this to be a thread for debating--- however, possibly, I misunderstood.

As long as I'm here, this sort of thing will never not be a debate.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-20-23, 03:36 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 1,426 Posts
5-arm cranks. 2 too many. Yuck.

FB Cranks 1 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 06-20-23, 03:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Really?

Well I've ranted about it and the related to me DS cup removal argument plenty here so we'll go over it again.

Just like the cookie cutter, cartridge style disposable threadless HS above, they negate the necessity to learn the valuable skill of dealing with them.

BB's, HS's, bearings, cups, adjustments and all related skills are very valuable in this realm and many others.

Any hack can turn a wrench and screw things up, learning and being able to wrangle these when they muck up gives you the ability to save fussy, sometimes rare valuable parts, pieces and tools.

This type of skill both physical and mental can serve you well in many other tasks and areas that will save you time and $$$$$$ in the long run as well as foster confidence and begat more skill along the way.

And just for the record, the DS cup ALWAYS comes out for proper maintenance, inspection, cleaning and servicing and so it will come out later, no ifs, and's or butts about it, period.
So can we assume that you are against cotterless crank sets? Any hack with a wrench can service one of those but it takes a Real® mechanic to remove cotters Or maybe you prefer an Ashtabula since they are ‘Merican and are a bit like the table puzzles at the Cracker Barrel? Hours of fun trying to figure out how the arm goes in the bottom bracket. Or perhaps you prefer ordinaries since they are basically hewed straight from iron ore.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-20-23 at 03:48 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-20-23, 04:25 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 6,789 Times in 2,637 Posts
Lots of technology disappeared on its own for obvious reasons, e.g., heliocrapmatic hubs, but it's hard for me to think of what's still around that would have been better off being pruned from the evolutionary tree. Umm, skintight lycra for those who should otherwise be wearing baggy clothes?
Likes For nlerner:
Old 06-20-23, 05:03 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Simplex Prestige plastique. Get rid of that, and instead make a lighter weight all-aluminum version of the Juy Export 61. Introduce anodized Al and Ti bits and bolts in the late '60s. Super Record killer. Wouldn't that be a cool parallel universe? Maybe they'd have bought Huret and we'd have Simplex branded 'cross and gravel groupsets now instead of SRAM.

Maybe also kill off the "Tech" stuff that Suntour made in the '80s? Maybe it'd stave off sunset for Suntour.
Old 06-20-23, 06:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,106 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I think it's the level of training that mechanics receive that determines whether they understand BB adjustments, not the equipment itself. Plus, if someone can't understand cup-and-cone adjustments, that same mechanic probably shouldn't be monkeying around with the fragile, modern components that mechanics are expected to set up today.

What's more, in a world where more people bike commute, I can support cartridge BBs from the standpoint of quick repairs for the average commuter bike where the speed of repair determines someone's ability to use their personal transportation. I even run such a combo in my 1980 Raleigh Sports, though it's a Hollowtech II instead of a square taper. (I wish it was the latter, the damn thing squeaks).

At the same time though, I do resent some cartridge BB's, but not for the same reasons:

1. The bog-standard square taper stuff (UN72 and knockoffs) tend to wear out faster than cup-and-cone BBs. I suspect this is due to the inherently smaller bearings. Cup and cone let you compensate for wear by a simple adjustment. Less waste, longer lifespan.

2. Shimano's spline removal pattern should be shot, sent to the Russian front, whipped, shot again, and left to burn in hell. Whoever came up with this spline pattern engineered it perfectly to bias the removal tool to slip out of the splines while being torqued - which is more or less the only state of the tool when in use. Park has improved their remover for it, but I've lost count how many times I've bashed my hand and lost skin to this design slipping. I hate it.

3. The standard [Shimano*] design that currently proliferates the industry could have incorporated removable cartridge bearing replacements and separate rings (a-la Phil Wood) which could have resulted in a brilliant modular system of standardized center cartridges with easily replaceable bearings and separate cups to accommodate various BB threads. But nope, that's too smart, so the only design of this type is stuck in the boutique world. About the only hack one can do with the Shimano design is to use 73mm cartridges in 68mm shells with the corret left-hand lockring - if one can accept a spindle that's a bit too long on the left side.

-Kurt

*Most of the current cartridge designs are Shimano knockoffs. Only within the last decade have a few Chinese manufacturers finally started to tinker with alternate designs, but nothing else has given them any real competition. Yet.

Old 06-20-23, 06:46 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Huret Duopar, Suntour "Tech" and other three-pivot rear mech designs. (Suntour might still be with us.)

Anything ever designed by SE Racing. This includes their boat-anchor Quad Angles, their dwarf-star alloy Landing Gear forks, and their under-engineered and horrid-handling PK Rippers and Floval Flyers.

Simplex injection-molded Delrin derailleurs.

Shimano Arabesque cranksets with 6mm allen key retention bolts.

Shimano 1st gen. SIS shifters - and also the Suntour rip-offs that they spawned. Nothing like pressing the wrong button when ascending slippery single-track.

Shimano Positron / forward freewheel setups.

Chainstay mounted U-Brakes.

Elevated chainstay mountain bikes. (Over-engineered solution to a non-problem)

Fisher Evolution headsets.

Campagnolo 1st generation mountain bike groups.

Campagnolo Delta brakes.

Cottered aluminum cranksets.

Hearst Publishing's acquisition of Bicycling Magazine.
Old 06-20-23, 08:10 PM
familyguy
Running on plenty

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 19 Posts
Likes For familyguy:
Old 06-20-23, 09:12 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
And there's another problem. Frugal old farts ending up with 3 Pugs and Moto "because they were cheap". 😜
How about several Motos and a mercier!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-20-23, 09:13 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by gugie
Yep! It's the best beefy, double eyelet fork dropout I've found.
Just gotta file off those damn lawyer lips...
I'm glad you had them. The clearance they added was perfect.
Old 06-20-23, 09:18 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Until you posted I'd never considered what a technological feat a clincher tire is. It does seem to complicate things a lot. Of course it's all I use.
Old 06-20-23, 09:36 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by cudak888
I think it's the level of training that mechanics receive that determines whether they understand BB adjustments, not the equipment itself. Plus, if someone can't understand cup-and-cone adjustments, that same mechanic probably shouldn't be monkeying around with the fragile, modern components that mechanics are expected to set up today.

What's more, in a world where more people bike commute, I can support cartridge BBs from the standpoint of quick repairs for the average commuter bike where the speed of repair determines someone's ability to use their personal transportation.
No argument here and most of this is my point, hack wrenchers don't learn or care, shop owners, suppliers and companies only want easier, faster and cheaper so they can keep paying less and less to work on the crap that continues to drag the standards down.

You and I know the difference and have the experience to make it work either way, the key thing that is lost on many of today's players.
Likes For merziac:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.