Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike sizing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike sizing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 11:37 AM
bagi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike sizing

For road cycling, is a size 56 frame suitable for someone 183 cm tall? What sizing do you recommend based on experience?
Old 06-21-23, 01:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,700 Times in 1,167 Posts
Originally Posted by bagi
For road cycling, is a size 56 frame suitable for someone 183 cm tall? What sizing do you recommend based on experience?
While a size 56 frame of a certain model may well be suitable for someone who is 183 cm tall, it may not be suitable for you even though you are also 183 cm tall.

It really depends on the ratio between leg length and torso length, and (to a lesser extent) torso length to arm length. See the description under Body Dimension here: Stigmata - Gravel Bike | Santa Cruz Bicycles

In addition to that, different bikes may have significantly different frame geometry even though both bikes are nominally a size 56. Stack, reach, and effective top tube length, among others, are more relevant measurements to compare between different bike frames.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-21-23, 01:39 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,572 Times in 4,426 Posts
It’s complicated as it depends on your proportions and flexibility as well as bike’s geometry.

If you are “average” proportions you probably want a 58cm bike over 56, but that’s just an educated guess.

These decisions are often best done in person.
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-21-23, 01:46 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Winspace T1550

Liked 209 Times in 134 Posts
56cm to 58cm

BUT this heavily dependents on the bike brand and geo and your overall body.

I ride anything from a 47cm-50cm but I also have comfortably ridden 44cm and 52cm bikes

best thing to do is go to a bike shop and pick the bike you think you want and sit and preferably ride the bike in the 2-3 most suitable sizes. Or if you have a bike already that fits you, compare the geometry to the geometry chart of the bike you want

And even if you get the frame and reach right you still probably need to think about bar width and crank length which isn't always suitable off the rack

Last edited by Jrasero; 06-21-23 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-21-23, 02:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,411 Times in 3,734 Posts
And even if a 56 cm frame of a particular model is the correct size, you might not care for the position it gives you. IE, Race fit, very relaxed fit or somewhere in-between. So that's also a consideration for you.

But as mentioned, just because a 56 cm frame of one model might be the most ideal size for you doesn't mean every model of bike/frame in a 56 cm is the ideal size. It's really best to try out the bikes and see what you like. A few places will still let you ride them for a while. However that's getting fewer and fewer. But a ride in the parking lot isn't as good as a 10 mile ride. I did both with my last bike purchase and the 10 mile ride had me picking the opposite size bike of the parking lot ride.

Welcome to BF!
Old 06-21-23, 02:24 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 601 Times in 453 Posts
It's not as simple as comparing a number with another number. I measure 185cm and like my bikes a little smaller than the average so I usually buy 56cm / ML frames if the other specs are within the range that I like.

What's your inseam (inner leg length)? This does also make a difference when determining the proper frame size for you.

Note that for most bikes, the XXcm is not an actual measurement of anything (it used to be or can sometimes be the seat tube lenght). It's a number to indicate the approximate size and this is why some brands choose to put letters instead as frame sizes (Giant and Canyon for instance).
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-21-23, 02:29 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,873 Times in 3,624 Posts
56 or 58 would likely fit depending on a load of factors and personal preference.
Old 06-21-23, 03:03 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Liked 555 Times in 381 Posts
I had a co-worker who is 6'4" borrow my 58cm Cannondale roadie and while it worked I think ideally he should have been on a size larger. Lots of variables as others have mentioned. I am 181cm and can ride 56 or 58 but I prefer 56. I can get by on a 54 or 55 with a 110mm stem but a 56 or 58 with a 100mm stem feels right for me.
Old 06-21-23, 07:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,569 Times in 3,060 Posts
Maybe? but also on the flip side of that coin...maybe not? There are a lot of factors involved with fit and a number on a frame and someones total height isn't really going to help any of those factors. The total height yes but inseam plays a part and reach and other considerations and a 56 frame is not a 56 frame necessarily because I have seen numbers and ridden bikes and they don't always match up.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-22-23, 07:27 AM
bruce19

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX, Guru steel & Guru Photon

Liked 1,429 Times in 835 Posts
Previous comments have said what I'm about to say. Sizing a bike using only height can be a big mistake. I start with my inseam (82.55 cm) and multiply by .667 (LeMond formula). This puts me at approx. 54/55 cm frame size. Bear in mind this uses a virtual TT not sloping TT. FWIW I have had a couple professional fittings and this is what they determined too. Based on fittings I also know that my TT should be approx. 55 cm. So, as some would say, a "square" 55 works for me.
Old 06-22-23, 08:03 AM
eduskator

To add to my other reply, a 58cm bike will also have bigger components (IE 44cm bars instead of 42cm, longer stem, crank arms of 175mm instead of 172.5mm). This said, if you are in between, I'd get a 56cm for sure if you feel good on the bike.
Old 06-22-23, 10:18 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cervelo Rouvida x 2

Liked 569 Times in 454 Posts
I agree with starting with cycling inseam. Mine is 84cm and I'm only 168cm tall (long legs). Using TT length and frame size numbers is outdated and meaningless these days. All brands I've looked at list stack and reach. Those two numbers tell all you need to know about fit. I do pay attention to the seat tube angle, just in case a model has a too steep STA and a proprietary post with only 15-20mm of setback. On a small frame, 74-75 degrees is common.

Stack should be selected based on your preferred saddle to bar drop. I use around 11cm, so I use a stack of as little as 505mm if I plan to use a -6 degree stem or up to 525mm if I use a -17. With a short torso, I avoid a reach of over 380mm.
Old 06-27-23, 02:33 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Winspace T1550

Liked 209 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I agree with starting with cycling inseam. Mine is 84cm and I'm only 168cm tall (long legs). Using TT length and frame size numbers is outdated and meaningless these days. All brands I've looked at list stack and reach. Those two numbers tell all you need to know about fit. I do pay attention to the seat tube angle, just in case a model has a too steep STA and a proprietary post with only 15-20mm of setback. On a small frame, 74-75 degrees is common.

Stack should be selected based on your preferred saddle to bar drop. I use around 11cm, so I use a stack of as little as 505mm if I plan to use a -6 degree stem or up to 525mm if I use a -17. With a short torso, I avoid a reach of over 380mm.
I agree. Maybe this is just a short guy concern, but if I can't clear the bike to begin with I believe I shouldn't be riding that size. This obviously isn't the case with taller people and/or with bikes with compact frames with sloping TT. From there look at reach and stack, but IMO this is really predicated in knowing your reach and stack numbers to begin with and IMO that only comes from riding a lot of bikes and reading a lot of geo charts
Old 06-29-23, 08:41 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: #1 Colnago V3 #2 Giant Defy Pro2

Liked 54 Times in 37 Posts
For reference I am 188cm tall and ride M/L Defy with 120mm stem. Fits like a glove I like smaller fitting bikes with longer stems.
Old 06-29-23, 12:06 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by crazyravr
For reference I am 188cm tall and ride M/L Defy with 120mm stem. Fits like a glove I like smaller fitting bikes with longer stems.
At 188cm on a ML Defy, you must have a short inseam? Did you leave all spacers on your fork tube? That seatpost must be close to its maximum height!

Last edited by eduskator; 06-29-23 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-30-23, 08:01 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: #1 Colnago V3 #2 Giant Defy Pro2

Liked 54 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
At 188cm on a ML Defy, you must have a short inseam? Did you leave all spacers on your fork tube? That seatpost must be close to its maximum height!
Almost at the line. Removed couple spacers. I have 88cm in seam.