Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Seat Post Noob Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 03:58 AM
Lebowski74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Apologies in advance for this, I looked for the answer online, I looked for a noob section on here.....

Shortly going to buy my first carbon road bike (likely a Supersix evo). Being retired and traveling a lot in our motorhome around Europe, to fit the bike in the 'garage', I have to constantly remove, or drop, the seat post. I don't like leaving the bike unguarded, so always store it away after a ride or at night.

The noob question is, would constantly dropping, or removing, and then re clamping a carbon post be likely to cause any problems?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-02-23, 05:42 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,229 Times in 3,227 Posts
It should be okay, but make sure you use a good torque wrench. Don’t rely on feel to clamp carbon.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-02-23, 05:51 AM
FrankTuna

Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Don't think it'll be an issue, at least from my experience. I often use a Sram dropper post on my gravel bike (Salsa Cutthroat) for big rides, but swap for a regular post otherwise. Just keep some carbon grip paste handy and use a torque wrench.
Old 07-02-23, 06:13 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Liked 620 Times in 427 Posts
Cannondale will have very detailed assembly literature with that bike. I suspect they will spec grease or even assembly paste and so you will want to slide it out not down which keeps it from getting grease/paste all over the visible parts.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 07-02-23, 09:33 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,204 Times in 4,264 Posts
Agree with above. Get a 5 n-m (or whatever the spec is) torque key and take seatpost out for stowage if it won’t fit.

Could you also fit by removing front wheel? That would be easier, possibly.
Old 07-02-23, 09:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,018 Times in 3,452 Posts
I haven't had any issues taking my carbon fiber seat post in and out multiple times for the trips I take it with me in the car to visit Colorado. Currently in my lifetime I have had more issues doing this with steel bikes. I've broken many a clamp bolt from overtightening them. And damaged many a clamp to where they won't any longer tighten enough to hold on to the seat post.

So far, I'm a little more careful with tightening the clamp on the carbon seat post. I don't use a torque wrench most of the time, but occasionally I'll get a torque wrench and remind myself what the 6.2 N-m actually feels like that my clamp has marked on it for the max. I suppose that similarly to the steel bikes, I'll eventually have some issues.
Old 07-02-23, 01:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,575 Times in 1,090 Posts
Cannondale specifies 8 Nm for the seat post clamp (see. p. 16): 023151901canoms-supersix-evoen0803lr.ashx (cannondale.com)

This is higher than the more common 5 Nm or 6 Nm specified for many other bike components, and is thus more difficult to achieve by feel. I strongly recommend a torque wrench, especially since OP said this would be a first CF road bike.

My Cannondale uses a similar seat post clamp. If I had to remove the seat post (e.g., for storage or transportation), I would (a) remove the seat post and clean off any CF assembly paste residue, (b) cover the seat post hole in the frame with Saran wrap, and (3) add a little CF assembly paste to the clamp and the interior surface of the seat tube prior to installing the seat post.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 07-02-23 at 03:37 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-02-23, 03:17 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Liked 493 Times in 339 Posts
I wouldn't make a habit of constantly loosening/tightening the seat post. Things wear, whether it's the seat post itself, the clamp, the clamp bolt, the inside of the seat tube on the frame, etc.

I've got a folding bike that requires loosening the seat post as part of the folding procedure. Over time I've worn out the seat post, the frame, and gone through a few clamps. Folks may say "you're doing it wrong" which is valid but the likelihood of misuse is high given that use case. For a traditional bike my philosophy is to set it and forget it.

If you constantly need to lower the seat post I would look into whether a dropper seat post might work. They don't drop the seat post all the way down but perhaps enough to help you.

Having said that, in the old MTB days before dropper posts were commonplace, we used QR seat post clamps and I didn't run into issues with repeated lowering/extending cycles for descents/climbs. Not sure this would work on the Supersix frame, though.
Old 07-02-23, 05:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Cannondale specifies 8 Nm for the seat post clamp (see. p. 16): 023151901canoms-supersix-evoen0803lr.ashx (cannondale.com)
Ok, but Cannondale has no idea what brand or torque rating that the seatpost you'll stick in there is rated for.
Old 07-02-23, 06:00 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir

This is higher than the more common 5 Nm or 6 Nm specified for many other bike components, and is thus more difficult to achieve by feel. I strongly recommend a torque wrench, especially since OP said this would be a first CF road bike.

IME most people will tend to over-tighten a 5 Nm hex more than they would an 8 Nm or higher torque hex without using a torque wrench.

A good torque wrench is essential, especially when clamping carbon.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-02-23, 08:00 PM
Mtracer

Liked 345 Times in 217 Posts
I would be concerned about wear and tear, even if using a torque wrench. Each tightening and loosen cycle is going to fatigue some of the parts. I have no idea how the carbon parts would react to this, but the metal clamp and bolt would fatigue. I have no idea if any problems would develop at 100 cycles, or 100 million.

Something like this cable-less dropper seat post might work. It has a lever right on the seat post. It will add some weight to the bike, but aside from avoiding possible wear to the bike, it would be a lot more convenient than removing the seat all the time.
TranzX Seatpost
Old 07-02-23, 08:11 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Liked 687 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Thanks for the link! I'd not seen that sort of "under saddle" dropper actuation before. Might be an option for my gravel bike.
Old 07-02-23, 08:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,575 Times in 1,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Ok, but Cannondale has no idea what brand or torque rating that the seatpost you'll stick in there is rated for.
The frame takes a specific Cannondale semi-aero seat post so I hope Cannondale has at least some idea about its torque rating.
Old 07-03-23, 12:22 AM
Lebowski74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your replies and for being gentle with me, if I could find out how to like each reply, I would.

I am not afraid to admit I enjoy making sure everything works as well as it should and is torqued to the correct settings. I have an excellent torque wrench that travels with us when we go away.

It would seem the answer would be to take care and limit doing this as much as possible. Ideally I wouldn't do it at all, as I hate having to move a seatpost once it's set. Perhaps we just have to change our motorhome for one for a bigger garage! I'm on it....

Thank you all once again.
Old 07-03-23, 08:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,018 Times in 3,452 Posts
Originally Posted by Lebowski74
if I could find out how to like each reply
Participate in more conversations in other threads.

Once you get 10 post and maybe a day for the forum software to recognize it, you'll see a <like> button appear at the bottom right of each post.

You also get to post images and links in your posts when you get that magical number of 10 posts.
Old 07-03-23, 09:26 AM
njkayaker

Liked 1,447 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I suspect they will spec grease or even assembly paste and so you will want to slide it out not down which keeps it from getting grease/paste all over the visible parts.
Grease isn't used for carbon seat posts. "Assembly paste" has "grit" in it to increase friction (grease reduces friction). Oddly. the "assembly paste" is expensive.
Old 07-03-23, 09:30 AM
njkayaker

Apologies in advance for this, I looked for the answer online, I looked for a noob section on here.....

Shortly going to buy my first carbon road bike (likely a Supersix evo). Being retired and traveling a lot in our motorhome around Europe, to fit the bike in the 'garage', I have to constantly remove, or drop, the seat post. I don't like leaving the bike unguarded, so always store it away after a ride or at night.

The noob question is, would constantly dropping, or removing, and then re clamping a carbon post be likely to cause any problems?
If you have to, use "assembly compound" and be sure to use the appropriate torque.

https://ultimatesportstrinidad.com/p...d-ahead-single

https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/access...rque-key-6-bit
Old 07-03-23, 10:04 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Liked 620 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Grease isn't used for carbon seat posts. "Assembly paste" has "grit" in it to increase friction (grease reduces friction). Oddly. the "assembly paste" is expensive.
I only have two carbon frames with carbon posts and one is very tight and one typical. One is a Calfee & I follow a builder and carbon "expert" Craig Calfee position on the subject w/o ever having an issue:
Thankfully! An opportunity to dispel the myth that one shouldn’t grease a carbon post! I don’t know where the myth started, but carbon composites are not affected by grease. Our advice is simple: If the seatpost fits tight,grease it. If it slips, de-grease it. As has been known for many years, when aluminum and carbon fiber contact each other, galvanic corrosion can start. That is why Calfee uses a fiberglass sleeve as a seat tube shim. Aluminum seat tube (or sleeve) and a carbonpost will result in corrosion of the frame and possible seizure of the post within the frame. A carbon sleeve on an aluminum post will result in corrosion of the post. Salty environments accelerate this corrosion. Anodizing merely slows it down. About the only common chemical that will hurt carbon fiber is paint remover (which attacks the resin between the fibers). But there are many solvents that will dull a nice paint job.
Craig Calfee
Old 07-03-23, 10:11 AM
PeteHski

Thank you all for your replies and for being gentle with me, if I could find out how to like each reply, I would.

I am not afraid to admit I enjoy making sure everything works as well as it should and is torqued to the correct settings. I have an excellent torque wrench that travels with us when we go away.

It would seem the answer would be to take care and limit doing this as much as possible. Ideally I wouldn't do it at all, as I hate having to move a seatpost once it's set. Perhaps we just have to change our motorhome for one for a bigger garage! I'm on it....

Thank you all once again.
If you are only removing the post when you travel then I wouldn’t worry about it. The clamp will have a relatively large surface area, so wear/fatigue should be minimal.

Some carbon posts/frames are more prone to slipping than others depending on design, so worth checking for any inherent problems with the specific bike you are buying.

People travel with bikes all the time and often have to remove the seat post. It’s not a big deal.
Old 07-03-23, 10:22 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I only have two carbon frames with carbon posts and one is very tight and one typical. One is a Calfee & I follow a builder and carbon "expert" Craig Calfee position on the subject w/o ever having an issue:
Thankfully! An opportunity to dispel the myth that one shouldn’t grease a carbon post! I don’t know where the myth started, but carbon composites are not affected by grease. Our advice is simple: If the seatpost fits tight,grease it. If it slips, de-grease it. As has been known for many years, when aluminum and carbon fiber contact each other, galvanic corrosion can start. That is why Calfee uses a fiberglass sleeve as a seat tube shim. Aluminum seat tube (or sleeve) and a carbonpost will result in corrosion of the frame and possible seizure of the post within the frame. A carbon sleeve on an aluminum post will result in corrosion of the post. Salty environments accelerate this corrosion. Anodizing merely slows it down. About the only common chemical that will hurt carbon fiber is paint remover (which attacks the resin between the fibers). But there are many solvents that will dull a nice paint job.
Craig Calfee
Interesting.

You really should provide the link to the source of quotes.

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...reased-carbon/

Anyway, Calfee also talks about being sure not to over-torque the bolt.

(The issue of aluminum and carbon together isn't the OP's situation.)
Old 07-04-23, 06:53 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 596 Times in 449 Posts
I would recommend figuring out another way to store / transport your bike if this happens frequently. Not because it's not meant to be removed and reinstalled frequently, but because it may be less of a hassle. I would also recommend buying a good torque wrench and some carbon paste (what some members here call assembly paste) - it will become handy at a certain point if you remove your seat post too often as the paste will eventually wear off. It is pricey, but you don't need a huge amount if you apply it properly

Rule of thumb is:
Carbon to carbon = carbon paste
Carbon to metal = carbon paste
Metal to metal = grease
Old 07-04-23, 07:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I would recommend figuring out another way to store / transport your bike if this happens frequently. Not because it's not meant to be removed and reinstalled frequently, but because it may be less of a hassle. I would also recommend buying a good torque wrench and some carbon paste (what some members here call assembly paste) - it will become handy at a certain point if you remove your seat post too often as the paste will eventually wear off. It is pricey, but you don't need a huge amount if you apply it properly

Rule of thumb is:
Carbon to carbon = carbon paste
Carbon to metal = carbon paste
Metal to metal = grease
Though, fwiw I've used paste in metal to metal from time to time. (e.g. saddle rail clamps on seatpost)

One watchout -- at least some pastes can be abrasive. Frequent removal/insertion can and will mar finish of some carbon components. Tape off at the insertion level at the very least to ensure you never insert too far and have to pull back up (which can mar a visible portion of your seatpost).
Old 07-04-23, 09:11 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 596 Times in 449 Posts
Good point. It can certainly scratch bike parts such as a seat post if you're not careful. To my knowledge, they all contain fine particles of what seems to be sand to increase friction and decrease the tightening torque.
Old 07-05-23, 12:34 AM
Camilo

Liked 1,290 Times in 822 Posts
I would recommend pulling the seat post out rather than dropping it. If you drop it and then raise it back up, the exposed part will soon look all scratched up. Mark the insertion point with a round of tape, remove the post,and then put it back in as far as the tape allows.

I'd also think kind of hard in using an aluminum seat post. I'm not paranoid about carbon fiber, but have the thought that aluminum might be less likely to be compromised by clamping and unclamping. Carbon probably won't be harmed either, but just thinking aluminum = cheaper and maybe less prone to damage.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that although I have several CF seat posts, there really isn't a noticable difference between them and my aluminum seatposts. yeah, yeah yeah, the conventional wisdom is that they somehow absorb road noise and are more comfortable, but to me, the effect is miniscule, if at all after the saddle and tires are taken into account.
Old 07-05-23, 03:31 AM
trashbiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich Record 10spd, Klein Quantum Race r7000

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I would be concerned about wear and tear, even if using a torque wrench. Each tightening and loosen cycle is going to fatigue some of the parts. I have no idea how the carbon parts would react to this, but the metal clamp and bolt would fatigue. I have no idea if any problems would develop at 100 cycles, or 100 million.

Something like this cable-less dropper seat post might work. It has a lever right on the seat post. It will add some weight to the bike, but aside from avoiding possible wear to the bike, it would be a lot more convenient than removing the seat all the time.
TranzX Seatpost
Carbon has no fatigue limit, so theoretically it would fail eventually. However, it can handle many times more load cycles than, for example, aluminum. Generally, fatigue failure is not a concern in carbon fiber components.

Not related to the quote: I believe carbon paste should only be used when the specified torque does not provide enough clamping force to hold the part or as a barrier between carbon and alloy parts. Carbon doesn't seize in carbon so no need for a barrier. The newest super-six uses a carbon post so I would try using the post without paste first. I doubt you will experience slip until the post wears slightly. That way you don't accelerate wear by having unneccesary carbon paste.

Last edited by trashbiker; 07-05-23 at 03:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.