Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade vintage Miyata

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Upgrade vintage Miyata

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-23, 04:32 PM
Border

Bikes: Miyata 610

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrade vintage Miyata

Hi all,

Have an old Miata 610 touring bike I’d like to tour in again. What would you suggest I upgrade ( gears and brakes I’m thinking) and is there a bike shop in the Perimeter area of Atlanta you can recommend to get the work done.

thanks,
B.
Old 07-04-23, 04:44 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Liked 3,838 Times in 1,550 Posts
By Miata you probably are referring to 'Miyata'. Great bikes. We'd love to see pictures. If you go to your account and put some pictures of the bike in your profile photo album, someone else here can put them in the thread until you get 10 posts.

Would be great to know the bike's condition and level of use/cleanliness.

These were solid bikes that with the right touring gear (racks/panniers, etc) would do really well stock.

The things to always look at are the consummables - new chain, new brake cables and housing, and of course some new brake pads (usually suggestions always include some Coolstop wet/dry pads). Tires are going to be one of the most important items you can possibly look at and you'll get some good suggestions here. Don't skimp on quality tires, especially if you are touring and may be unsupported at times.

Also, if the bike hasn't been regularly maintained, the suggestion to service the wheel hubs, the headset, and bottom bracket is solid wisdom. Also, can you loosen the seatpost bolt and move the post, likewise with the stem? If so, you are already ahead of the game!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 07-04-23, 04:48 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Liked 135 Times in 82 Posts
Do you know what year it is? Is the the equipment all original?

Post a picture in your user gallery, and someone should be able to assist us to see it.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 07-04-23, 04:53 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,656 Times in 3,295 Posts
Here in c&v, we generally don't "upgrade" as much as we overhaul.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-05-23, 05:53 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Liked 1,304 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Here in c&v, we generally don't "upgrade" as much as we overhaul.
I mean... speak for yourself. Most of my bikes only have the original frame. But I do take care to keep it in the same style.

For a Miyata tourer I would probably build a new 8-11 speed rear wheel and maybe a nice dynamo front wheel with modern LED lights. Depending on the room available maybe get some nice and supple 32-35mm tyres and make it into a randonneur.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 07-05-23, 06:32 AM
eddy m

Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
First of all, you should figure out what you actually have. IIRC the top line Miyata would have been an 810, and it would have had a nice double butted Tange or Ishiwata frame. A 610 would have had a heavier frame, possibly a good straight gage alloy steel frameset or maybe even a carbon steel frame. I wouldn't spend much to upgrade one of those.
Also, a 610 would have had a 5X2 drivetrain, which implies that it is at least 40 years old, so you should check for signs of rust before you do anything else.
If the wheels are still usable, you could set it up as a 2X6 with an Ultra 6 freewheel and friction shifters, or upgrade it to a single speed. If you want more gears than that you'll need a new hub, and the cost will escalate exponentially.
If it were mine, I'd grease the bearings, get new brake cables and chain, and ditch the derailers, but only if the frame were in excellent condition to start with.

em
Old 07-05-23, 06:36 AM
eddy m

Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Most of my bikes only have the original frame. But I do take care to keep it in the same style.

JaccoW What's going at the rear hub? is that some kind of cam to prevent the wheel from moving? What kind of hub is that?
em
Old 07-05-23, 06:42 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I've got a 1985 Miyata 1000 that I have upgraded to 9 speed. It's a fantastic light touring machine.
Some details on the bike that might be useful:
  • Shifting is 9 speed with dura-ace bar end shifters and a deore XT rear derailleur. I kept the original front derailleur and biopace crank.
  • Tires are 30mm vittoria, but it could probably handle 35mm
  • I intended to switch the cantilever brakes to V type but couldn't because the fork bosses are too close together. The cantis work fine.
Likes For mercator:
Old 07-05-23, 06:49 AM
Mr. 66

Liked 1,864 Times in 1,013 Posts
I think you have a good base, I would look for a co-op they can help you find stuff and give you guidance on the build.

'Im sure a local shop would help and do you just fine, but shop time and new parts can be a sticker shock for someone trying to put together a bike on a budget.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 07-05-23, 06:54 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,698 Times in 2,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Border
Hi all,

Have an old Miata 610 touring bike I’d like to tour in again. What would you suggest I upgrade ( gears and brakes I’m thinking) and is there a bike shop in the Perimeter area of Atlanta you can recommend to get the work done.

thanks,
B.
I suggested when you first posted this in a different forum to start a thread on C&V as you will get better help here on how to set your bike up at a reasonable cost. The Miyata 610 is a well known touring bike but pics would be really helpful (especially of the drive side showing the crank, derailleurs, etc.). As a newbie you can't post pics until you hit 10 posts but you can create an album on your profile and upload pics. Someone will then post the pics to this thread.

Bottom line is that the bike has great bones for a touring rig but will likely need some work.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-05-23, 07:24 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Liked 1,304 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by eddy m
JaccoW What's going at the rear hub? is that some kind of cam to prevent the wheel from moving? What kind of hub is that?
em
This is my 1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce commuter. It uses a 5-speed Sturmey Archer drum brake hub.

It's indeed a cam to prevent the wheel from sliding forward. Doesn't work all that great but it was a cool idea.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 07-05-23, 07:55 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Liked 214 Times in 140 Posts
610's are great bikes in that they're well-built and nicely equipped. If you're seeking to tour and get this is going again, I'll echo other's remarks:

-overhaul all the bearings, hubs, bottom bracket, headset, and for extra points, the pedals
-replace all housing, cables, and brake pads
-if the chain is worn replace the chain and freewheel. This is a good time to reconsider your gearing although the 610 will probably already have wide gearing
-if the tires are old, and especially before you embark on a long tour, but not necessarily if you're just getting it ridable, replace the tires with the best tires your can comfortably afford
-grease stem and seat post
-true wheels if needed
-When you're ready to tour, consider racks and bags. This an iterative practice, don't go for broke before actually touring, ride your bike and figure out what makes sense for you
-double check any bolts or screws
-for additional bonus points, wash and wax the frame

610's are lovely bikes. Can't help with a bike shop as I'm not in that area.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-23, 12:27 PM
Border

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
By Miata you probably are referring to 'Miyata'. Great bikes. We'd love to see pictures. If you go to your account and put some pictures of the bike in your profile photo album, someone else here can put them in the thread until you get 10 posts.

Would be great to know the bike's condition and level of use/cleanliness.

These were solid bikes that with the right touring gear (racks/panniers, etc) would do really well stock.

The things to always look at are the consummables - new chain, new brake cables and housing, and of course some new brake pads (usually suggestions always include some Coolstop wet/dry pads). Tires are going to be one of the most important items you can possibly look at and you'll get some good suggestions here. Don't skimp on quality tires, especially if you are touring and may be unsupported at times.

Also, if the bike hasn't been regularly maintained, the suggestion to service the wheel hubs, the headset, and bottom bracket is solid wisdom. Also, can you loosen the seatpost bolt and move the post, likewise with the stem? If so, you are already ahead of the game!
Thanks AdventureManCO I've added pictures of the bike to my album though I gather I can't post them here yet.

I have ridden the bike regularly since I got in !984 and maintained it pretty well with annual tuneup at REI every Spring The brake pads, tires and handlebar tape have been replace but everything else is the original. Want to go back to the white wall tiers I had originally rather than these clunky ones I've been riding in for several years.

I just bought a Brooks Cambium saddle I'll put on once I can get the old one off !*@#. Have a double kickstand and Foldylocks lock. Since being seen is paramount for bicycle safety have 360 coverage with a Light & Motion VIS 180 tail light and a Cygolite Metro Pro on the front (though I see my other light in the picture).
Old 07-06-23, 12:30 PM
Border

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John Nolan everything is original except for the tires, brake pads and soon the seat.
Old 07-06-23, 12:32 PM
Border

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eddy m this is a ChromeMoly frame and there is very little rust as I have kept good care of it.
Old 07-06-23, 12:36 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,938 Times in 3,958 Posts
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/30005114

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-06-23, 02:45 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Yes, that looks like my 1986 610: same colour and all.

Mine is pretty stock. I swapped the downtube shifters for bar-ends, and added Raceface Ride pedals, fenders and 35mm Paselas.
Old 07-06-23, 05:32 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,780 Times in 1,288 Posts
618 GT. Just need to figure out brakes...

Old 07-06-23, 05:57 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Liked 3,838 Times in 1,550 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill

It's a good looking bike, and that's great that you've kept up on maintenance in any degree, as many 40-50yr old bikes haven't seen a lick of servicing in literally decades.

If you don't have a history on the last time the BB, headset, and wheel hubs have been serviced, that is a no-brainer. Also a new chain (and inspecting chainrings for wear) if you wanted a fresh start.

Are these 27" wheels, or 700c? If 27", the Panaracer Paselas are pretty highly regarded, but others may chime in with their experiences. In 700c, the tire world really opens up.

Old 07-06-23, 06:06 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,055 Times in 1,647 Posts
vinatage miyatas can upgrade very nicely

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-06-23, 06:16 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,780 Times in 1,288 Posts
A friend turned his 615 into an e-commuter. I'd maybe go bar-end shifters and 700's. Nice looking bike.

Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-06-23, 07:11 PM
Border

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve replaced the pedals with clip ons. Moving the Shifters sounds like a good idea - where do the go?

Fenders are another feature I keep meaning to add every time I ride on wet roads.

See I need to take a picture in a more attractive setting than my garage door.

Originally Posted by John Nolan
Yes, that looks like my 1986 610: same color and all.

Mine is pretty stock. I swapped the downtube shifters for bar-ends, and added Raceface Ride pedals, fenders and 35mm Paselas.
Old 07-06-23, 07:26 PM
Border

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tires are 700 x38c. Would love to hear the options as these tires feel too wide and taking the wheel off through the brakes is not easy as it used to be with the originals.

The chain seem to be in good shape and I remember the brake cable was replace several years ago along with the brake pads.
Old 07-07-23, 03:57 AM
John Nolan 

For bar-end shifters you put cable stops one the downtube shifter bosses.

I'm cheap, so I don't know if I would added bar-ends if I didn't already have them in my parts bin. There a bit pricey at full retail.
Old 07-07-23, 05:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Border
See I need to take a picture in a more attractive setting than my garage door.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...rage-door.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.