Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Quality isn't what is was.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Campagnolo Quality isn't what is was.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 02:45 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Well, we don’t know what those people said, only what you understood them to say. Personally, I think it’s extremely odd that you claim they all categorically ruled out maintenance, but couldn’t provide any other source of the problem other than that it was “some sort of defect.” What that strongly suggests to me is either miscommunication or incompetence…on whatever said you want to put it. I mean, how did maintenance get ruled out when the parts are outside of the 3 year warranty window? How would you even rationally rule out not looking at chainring bolt tightness over the course of three years when the bolts are missing?
Both dealers said they had never seen this before and that it seemed like a defect. Campy USA apparently agreed because after inspecting it, they replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I said all of this before. I don't think you read my posts. I think you just like being argumentative. "Thread Killer" indeed.
Old 07-08-23, 02:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 8,298 Times in 3,298 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I'm not talking about the bolts. I'm talking about the female threads in the crankset. But I'm not looking at the crankset right now, so I can't remember if the threads are part of the crankset or separate nuts.
It's still trivial to produce those threads at very high levels of precision.
Old 07-08-23, 04:07 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,931 Times in 1,162 Posts
Both dealers said they had never seen this before and that it seemed like a defect. Campy USA apparently agreed because after inspecting it, they replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I said all of this before. I don't think you read my posts. I think you just like being argumentative. "Thread Killer" indeed.
Yes, I read your posts, but did confuse your situation with the OP’s, sorry.
Old 07-08-23, 04:54 PM
big john

Liked 10,155 Times in 4,935 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
My Chorus crankset came with thread locker on the chain ring bolts. When you loosen them, you get a CRACK when they break free and it takes significant effort on the chain ring bolts. Never had one come loose in 80,000 miles. And before that with multiple Record cranks, I just greased the threads of the bolts and tightened them right up. Never had one come loose.
If you can do it, a little heat will soften the Loctite. I'm not suggesting you put a torch to a carbon crankset, but heat will help in some cases.
Old 07-08-23, 05:42 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Liked 1,027 Times in 580 Posts
Checking chainring bolts is not normally a maintenance point. In my years of both riding and wrenching, I’ve never had one come loose.

I guess these 4 bolt Campy cranks have one more item to check than most. Locktite seems like a great idea too.

Is there something between Red and Blue? I had some purple stuff I used on nipples but I think it was vibration dampening and actually weaker than blue. I had some green I used on press fit but I don’t think it’s for threads at all.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 07-08-23, 05:56 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Is there something between Red and Blue? I had some purple stuff I used on nipples but I think it was vibration dampening and actually weaker than blue.
Never put loctite on your skin.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-08-23, 07:00 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Never put loctite on your skin.
I walked right into that one.

Have you tasted it? Kinda sweet actually.
Old 07-08-23, 08:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Liked 1,057 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
the chainring bolts that I am familiar with (have not examined a Campagnolo 11 or 12 speed crankset) have what I'd call a bushed nut that goes through the spider arm and the chainring, and the bolt holds it in place.

Ideally the shoulder on the bushed nut should be taking the pedaling loads from the crank and transferring them to the chainring. There should be minimal binding loads on the bolt, it just holds the bushed nut in place.

See red arrow in pic below

what is being described here could be attributed to side loading on the chainring due to higher chain angle that is understandable in 11 or 12 speed drivelines.

That part doesn't exist in this design, the large ring is bolted directly to the crank, and the small ring is bolted into threads in the large ring with spacers to keep them apart. So not a lot of support on what is a typical chainring bolt. Would agree, the shouldered nut is an obviously better design.

Originally Posted by georges1
Yes, if you could do it with 11 speed version with zero trouble why is then the 12 speed version so prone to problems? The best thing to do is that the OP sends a photo of his crank to campagnolo per email and asks campagnolo why did happen and how to prevent it
Can't find an email. Would appreciate if anyone has one. Found a campy service center site, not certain how legit it really is or if its a shop, but no way to attach emails in the form email.

I have no trouble tightening the chain ring bolts on either my 11-spd or 12-spd crank sets. Clearly the design does not prevent tightening the bolts.
Actually, if you want to tighten the main set of bolts you have to remove the small chainring first, it does block them.

I'm not talking about the bolts. I'm talking about the female threads in the crankset. But I'm not looking at the crankset right now, so I can't remember if the threads are part of the crankset or separate nuts.
Part of the crankset.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-08-23, 08:43 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Liked 1,049 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Headed up to lake Ontario to visit family and do some hill climbing with my oldest, the ride was a bit of a failure. One of the steeper climbs the crank started to make a creaking noise as I stood up to climb, next thing I know the chain falls off, followed by a crunch from the rear wheel. From what I can figure, a chainring bolt must have somehow worked its way loose, not certain how since the crank is factory and I haven't used the small ring since last Oct or Nov, no real climbs on LI to warrant using it. Two of the chainring bolts ripped out of the crank, found one with lots of aluminum still attached where it ripped out. I'm guessing the other one disappeared to where ever the missing piece of chainring went to, and the smaller of the two pieces was still bolted to the crank. While I have bent chainrings on the MTB, and bent cassette cogs, this is the first time I've ever had a gear disintegrate. Either way the sudden loss of tension on the chain let the rear der whip around and the chain ended up caught in the rear wheel which ripped the rear der in half. Wheel survived with some scrapes in the black spoke finish and the chain is straight, but don't think the der is repairable. Unfortunately the parts were bought April of 2020 so outside the 3 year warranty though the bike wasn't built till the end of Aug and hasn't been my primary bike. Have to say, I'm not impressed with modern campy quality.

This happened twice to a friend of mine on a bike I built him with Chorus 12sp. At first i thought I may have undertorqued the chainrings, but the second chainring was installed by someone else. Campagnolo sent him a replacement crankset
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 07-08-23, 09:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

For clarity on how the small ring mounts, the hole barely visible behind the purple bolt is the bolt hole that holds the large ring to the spider, the smaller ring is bolted to the large ring with a spacer in between.

Don't have a good setup for taking pics but this shows you how much thread is available to screw into the chainring. A measurement of the chainring was 3.5mm with a .2mm recess for the spacer to seat into so only 3.3mm of thread with 4 bolts to support a chainring.

Here's one of the bolts, as you can see the threads were ripped right out when it happened, another hole shows similar damage, but that bolt seems to have disappeared into the nearby ditch along with the missing piece of chainring.

For those saying you should always check your chainring bolts, I'm gonna call BS unless you recently installed them or you're OCD. The 4 holding the chainring to the spider were so tight I had to use the 3/8 ratchet with a t30 socket to bust them loose, as I'd expect from a factory installed chainring. Unless there's noises to investigate, no mechanic I've met wastes time double checking chainring bolts unless, again, they were a recent install, common to track and BMX bikes but not your average road, cross, or MTB. In 15 years working in shops I had to drill out more chainring bolts that corroded together (2) that replace a loose bolt (none). At the end of cross season I pulled the crankset to clean around the BB bearings, check they were working well and make sure there was no water in the frame. Since the BB bearing is attached to the crank, not a part of the BB, I should have noticed if the chainring bolt was missing, since I'd have been staring directly at the bolts too. I might not have noticed if one had worked slightly loose, but again, the crank was noise free. While I do not doubt that this season one managed to work its way free, I'd suspect that there wouldn't be a noise, it won't effect the large ring's function, nor would the large ring make a noise. Instead the problem would sit unnoticed sincethe chainring bolts aren't all that visible, until I hit my first real climb, living on LI I haven't used the small ring this entire season until this ride. At the end of the day a crap design.
Old 07-08-23, 10:00 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Wow, that’s a terrible design. Seems like you’d be better off drilling the big chainring out just enough to accept a standard chainring bolt.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 07-09-23, 05:13 AM
TiHabanero

Liked 1,421 Times in 749 Posts
What has Campy done differently on the replacement crank is what presses on my mind. Change the material make-up of the large ring? Change the ring bolt material?

This is not a comment on the specific issue in this thread, but a comment upon a comment within the thread. I spent a lifetime in the bike biz, mainly as a wrench, but also as an owner and shop manager. Over the decades it became routine to check chain ring bolt torque when tuning up a bike or installing a new crank. 4 bolt or 5 bolt it made no difference. The do come loose, I have seen it many times. PSA always check chain ring bolts.
Old 07-09-23, 06:16 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 239 Times in 136 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.. I had a Campy chainwheel bolt on my Bianchi fall out on flat terrain. It took me 15 minutes to find it, and I count myself lucky. I now periodically check to make sure they are all tight, and so far they have been.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 07-09-23 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-09-23, 07:00 AM
GhostRider62

Liked 2,098 Times in 1,314 Posts
In 50+ years of riding, I have had chainring hardware come loose.

Creaking when standing up to climb is a good indication that maintenance is indicated from my limited experience (not a wrench)
Old 07-09-23, 07:38 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 681 Times in 520 Posts
I don't think I've bought any new Campy for about 20 years, and those would have been through non-warrantee sources, like Ebay sellers. I regard it as my responsibility to keep bolts tight but not overly tight. It's why I bought a torque wrench. Plus, Campy has put torque values for nearly every bolt in its those little square owner booklets packed with the part, and available on-line. It might be a questionable design (honestly it doesn't look any worse than some of the vintage Specialitee TA or Stronglight hardware), but anything can work loose, anything can have damaged threads, and anything can have hex nuts or such rounded off.
Old 07-09-23, 08:33 AM
tomato coupe

For those saying you should always check your chainring bolts, I'm gonna call BS ...
And yet, you didn't check yours, and one or more apparently came loose.
Old 07-09-23, 09:27 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,313 Times in 1,992 Posts
Wonder why there was a need to change the way to attach chainrings from a way that was successfully used for maybe half a century or more.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-09-23, 10:13 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Liked 1,345 Times in 715 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Wonder why there was a need to change the way to attach chainrings from a way that was successfully used for maybe half a century or more.
probably because the people or computers designing this latest generation of hardware are unencumbered by the learnings of the past.

Words like "disrupt" or "re-invent" come to mind

but this design is clearly flawed. The threaded portion of the bolt takes the pedaling loads, and there is a lot more side load because of the 10 or 12 cog cassette

At the prices they are asking for this stuff it should work better or at least not fail catastrophically.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-09-23, 12:08 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam,1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,256 Times in 834 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
probably because the people or computers designing this latest generation of hardware are unencumbered by the learnings of the past.

Words like "disrupt" or "re-invent" come to mind

but this design is clearly flawed. The threaded portion of the bolt takes the pedaling loads, and there is a lot more side load because of the 10 or 12 cog cassette

At the prices they are asking for this stuff it should work better or at least not fail catastrophically.

/markp
I never had issues with C record stuff but the newer Campy stuff seems to lack reliability and durability and they are far more expensive than Sram let alone Shimano. Their wheels can also be prone to failure.
Old 07-09-23, 02:59 PM
Russ Roth

And yet, you didn't check yours, and one or more apparently came loose.
And not likely to change. Having bought at least 20 bikes for myself over the last 30 years not to mention the couple dozen for the rest of the family, and the thousands I've built over the years for shops that have never had a chainring bolt shake loose, one poor design that doesn't seem to be used by anyone else isn't a reason to check every bike.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-09-23, 05:26 PM
TiHabanero

Liked 1,421 Times in 749 Posts
Russ Ross, I'm not intending to shake a finger at you, however I must point out that the thousands of bikes you have worked on over the years without torquing ring bolts may seem like a success, it is willful negligence in my book as I have trained dozens of mechanics over 40 years in the bike biz. Not attempting to change your ways, however checking bolt torque was a requirement when I was teaching, not sure why it is not a common practice when it is obvious that it should be.

It may be that I am old school and was raised up as a wrench in the days of carburetors and Nuovo Record. The thing that separated shops back then was the level of attention to detail, and bolt torque definitely is one of the details.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-09-23, 08:30 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Liked 676 Times in 463 Posts
... the thousands I've built over the years for shops that have never had a chainring bolt shake loose..
You have followed thousands of bikes that have never had a chainring bolt shake loose, where any of these MTBs, I am sorry but that is absurd in my experience on many levels. I am with TiHabanero, it is not a tenable position in the real world.
Old 07-09-23, 08:49 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Russ Ross, I'm not intending to shake a finger at you, however I must point out that the thousands of bikes you have worked on over the years without torquing ring bolts may seem like a success, it is willful negligence in my book as I have trained dozens of mechanics over 40 years in the bike biz. Not attempting to change your ways, however checking bolt torque was a requirement when I was teaching, not sure why it is not a common practice when it is obvious that it should be.

It may be that I am old school and was raised up as a wrench in the days of carburetors and Nuovo Record. The thing that separated shops back then was the level of attention to detail, and bolt torque definitely is one of the details.
Must be real old school, crank bolts were commonly checked and bb lock rings but chainring bolts were never a concern.
Old 07-10-23, 11:44 AM
Calsun
Banned

Liked 385 Times in 289 Posts
Pro riders use whatever their sponsors want them to use and this has been going on for many years. Some riders will sneak in a substitute part and have a bike for show and one for the actual race.

As worker pay has stayed flat over the past 50 years the concept of high cost has changed and manufacturers have had to have more parts manufactured in Asia where labor costs are much lower. Most Americans go by price and do not want to pay a penny more for quality which is why businesses like Wal-Mart and Harbor Freight are doing so well.

Chinese manufacturers produce to "German quality" or lower "Japanese quality" or to what is basically Wal-Mart quality and it is the Wal-Mart quality that gets sold in the USA. Shimano has prevailed by producing different group levels for different riders and keeping people in the Shimano family as they move up to more expensive components.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 07-11-23, 03:22 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam,1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,256 Times in 834 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Chinese manufacturers produce to "German quality" or lower "Japanese quality" or to what is basically Wal-Mart quality and it is the Wal-Mart quality that gets sold in the USA. Shimano has prevailed by producing different group levels for different riders and keeping people in the Shimano family as they move up to more expensive components.
True the 1992 Altus group on my Giant Tourer works perfectly wells and never had a failure , ditto with the XT-780T groups on my mountain bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.