Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless conversion on new bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 10:21 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I bought a Canyon Spectral 7 CF with DT Swiss M1900 rims. The rims are tubeless ready from what I've read. I found a set of Stans universal valves in my parts box. Will my DT Swiss rims play nice with these Stans valves? I'm going to order the regular stans fluid off amazon.

Thanks

Old 07-13-23, 10:32 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 545 Posts
Visit Notubes.com for more INFORMATION

PS.. the top of the valve in the image is BENT

Last edited by maddog34; 07-13-23 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-13-23, 10:33 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,866 Posts
Are your rims and/or spoke nipples aluminum? If so, you might want to consider a non-ammonia based sealant. The valves will work in any rims except really deep ones (they aren't long enough, but you can get valve extenders or longer valves).

I find everything works easier if I put a tube in first for a few days. Make sure your tires are tubeless-ready.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-13-23, 11:42 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,015 Posts
I converted my Canyon Grizl to tubeless when I received it. The DT Swiss rims were already taped so all I had to do was deflate the tire, then remove the inner tube and install the valve. The tire was easy to put back in place and I then simply inflated the tire. The next morning the tires were still holding air even without sealant. I removed the valve cores and injected the sealant through the valve stem. After that I pumped the tires back up. Haven't yet had any sort of puncture and I only have to pump my tires after a couple of weeks. Due to an injury, I haven't ridden the bike for over 5 weeks and today I see that the tires are still holding air pretty well
The whole conversion job only took me about 20 minutes, but full disclosure I have been riding road tubeless for 12 years
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-13-23, 11:57 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 441 Posts
Wouldn't your Canyon come with DT Swiss tubeless valves? My Inflite did, and it was a 2017 model.
Likes For surak:
Old 07-13-23, 12:58 PM
rogerm3d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of those valves (and have had issues with them) as the nut tends to loosen up and there is no metal stopper on the inside. I prefer a stem like in this image that has rubber on the nut (doesn't loosen up), and some sort of metal on the inside to prevent the valve from pulling through.
Likes For rogerm3d:
Old 07-13-23, 01:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5105 Post(s)
Liked 8,417 Times in 3,974 Posts
Originally Posted by lyle.coop
I bought a Canyon Spectral 7 CF with DT Swiss M1900 rims. The rims are tubeless ready from what I've read. I found a set of Stans universal valves in my parts box. Will my DT Swiss rims play nice with these Stans valves? I'm going to order the regular stans fluid off amazon.

Thanks

Are you sure the tires aren't already set up tubeless?

Valves - I prefer the ones from Muc-Off.
Sealant - I prefer Orange Seal Endurance
Old 07-13-23, 04:33 PM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by surak
Wouldn't your Canyon come with DT Swiss tubeless valves? My Inflite did, and it was a 2017 model.
Originally Posted by Eric F
Are you sure the tires aren't already set up tubeless?

Valves - I prefer the ones from Muc-Off.
Sealant - I prefer Orange Seal Endurance
I'm not sure now that you mention it. How could I check without disturbing the sealant in the case that they are already tubeless?
Old 07-13-23, 04:55 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

I'm not sure now that you mention it. How could I check without disturbing the sealant in the case that they are already tubeless?
​​​​​​Look for a valve nut sealing the valve on the rim. Take the wheels off and shake them. Look through the small parts that came with the bike for tubeless valves, which is how my Inflite came.
Likes For surak:
Old 07-13-23, 08:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 536 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
PS.. the top of the valve in the image is BENT
Maybe, but it will hold air. Much worse than that holds air just fine.
Old 07-14-23, 12:22 PM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by surak
​​​​​​Look for a valve nut sealing the valve on the rim. Take the wheels off and shake them. Look through the small parts that came with the bike for tubeless valves, which is how my Inflite came.
Here's a couple pics. what do you think? There were no tubeless valves in the small parts box with the bike.

Old 07-14-23, 12:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5105 Post(s)
Liked 8,417 Times in 3,974 Posts
The valve stem nut is not a sure indicator of it being tubeless. Some people use those for tube valve stems, as well.
Old 07-14-23, 12:53 PM
surak

It's more obvious when there's a silicone ring under the nut to form a seal, but I guess your Stan's valves didn't have that so it's inconclusive. Honestly would be easier to just shake or spin the wheel to hear if there's any sloshing. If not, just break the bead at the 12 o'clock position and look for a tube. Hardly any sealant will come out.
Likes For surak:
Old 07-15-23, 04:41 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 384 Posts
Here's a couple pics. what do you think? There were no tubeless valves in the small parts box with the bike.
Loosen the retaining nut and push the valve into the tyre - if it vents air and sealant then it's tubeless, if it holds air there's a tube.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 07-15-23, 08:32 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 270 Posts
If they are tubeless they may have a bit of sealant inside if it’s not dried up. Remove the stem cap and see if the stem has a removable valve. There should be flat sides just below the presta valve lock nut. If they are there it can still be a tube but you remove the valve. If it is tubeless there should be residual sealant.

There are few YouTube videos on how to check sealant. Here is one.

Likes For biker128pedal: