Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Silver alloy rim road wheelset, were art thou?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-23, 06:24 PM
curiousabe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 28 Posts

For a custom frame im hahing made ive decided that the wheelset must be polished silver alloy with silver, will be running tan walled conti gp5000 28m (eveen though ive not fully discarded bora ones...).

however, Im having a real hard time find a a fairly modern wheelset in europe that have;
  • Silvee rims
  • Silver spokes
  • Silvee hubs
  • Campa freehub
  • Machined rim brake track
  • Hooked rims
  • Inner width: 18-22mm
  • Outer width: 24-28mm
  • Depth/height: 25-35mm
  • Available within EU
  • Max 1200 EUR

The only ones ive found are:

Ritchey zeta classic
inner width: 20mm
outer width: 24.4mm
Weight: 1442g
Price: 573 EUR
https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/wheels/classic-zeta-wheels

Rolf Prima matte silver Elan
inner width: 18mm
outer width: 23mm
Weight: 1345g
Price: 1300 EUR

Last edited by curiousabe; 07-14-23 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-14-23, 06:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5936 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 2,153 Posts
Have a shop build you a wheelset and then you can pick your parts.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-14-23, 11:11 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 812 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Have a shop build you a wheelset and then you can pick your parts.
Or a place like Prowheelbuilder.com

I don't think he's looked very hard.
Old 07-15-23, 01:23 AM
curiousabe

Originally Posted by Camilo
Or a place like Prowheelbuilder.com

I don't think he's looked very hard.
They are based in the US.

None if the online builders within EU that I've found have appropriate riims and hubs, I have spent weeks looking for both complete wheelset and custom, there seems to be quite a few custom options frrom the UK but then again, not within EU that ticks all the boxes.
Old 07-15-23, 05:03 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 732 Posts
Find a local bike shop that has a wheel nerd and make that nerd's day by having him build a wheel set for you using the hub and rim of your choice (I recommend DT Swiss hubs). The shop will be able to source a polished rim from a vendor even though they are very difficult to source from the European brands. They will have a better go at it if sourcing from USA or Asia.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-15-23, 05:04 AM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
There's a silver version of the Sun CR18.
Old 07-15-23, 05:08 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5936 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 2,153 Posts
Originally Posted by curiousabe

None if the online builders within EU that I've found have appropriate riims and hubs, I have spent weeks looking for both complete wheelset and custom, there seems to be quite a few custom options frrom the UK but then again, not within EU that ticks all the boxes.
Have you gone to one of your local bikeshops and asked them to build you a wheelset?
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-15-23, 07:36 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 838 Posts
How do the Ritchey's not meet your needs?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-15-23, 10:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked 1,810 Times in 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
How do the Ritchey's not meet your needs?
OP said they want polished rims, which the Ritcheys ain’t.

​​​WT160 suggested, the Sun CR18 is available in polished silver, is 18mm internal, and is a shallow section rim.

As for hubs, for sure Hope Tech will have silver, and I’d think that Tune and CarbonTi would be likely sources, too.

I’d add that Velocity can build a wheelset for you with some of their polished rims and hubs, but they’re here in USA. Still may be worthwhile peeping their selection of rims and hubs. For example their Aileron rims, polished, are $200ea, silver Road Race hub w/ Campagnolo freehub $300 and $120 for the front, so it seems even if shipping were something crazy like $300, the OP would still be right on budget (assuming ~$150 build fee, but I dunno what they charge).

Last edited by chaadster; 07-15-23 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-15-23, 01:50 PM
Camilo

Sorry, poor reading on my part. I missed that part. Hope you find something. Have you checked eBay?
Old 07-15-23, 07:53 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 570 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Sorry, poor reading on my part. I missed that part. Hope you find something. Have you checked eBay?
They make road hubs in silver... I know that they are in the UK, but if I can have a set here in the US, you should be able to get some in the EU.
Old 07-16-23, 05:27 AM
curiousabe

Originally Posted by chaadster
OP said they want polished rims, which the Ritcheys ain’t.

​​​WT160 suggested, the Sun CR18 is available in polished silver, is 18mm internal, and is a shallow section rim.

As for hubs, for sure Hope Tech will have silver, and I’d think that Tune and CarbonTi would be likely sources, too.

I’d add that Velocity can build a wheelset for you with some of their polished rims and hubs, but they’re here in USA. Still may be worthwhile peeping their selection of rims and hubs. For example their Aileron rims, polished, are $200ea, silver Road Race hub w/ Campagnolo freehub $300 and $120 for the front, so it seems even if shipping were something crazy like $300, the OP would still be right on budget (assuming ~$150 build fee, but I dunno what they charge).
Thanks! Yea Ive looked at Velocity but the Aileron seems to be disc specific and does not have machined side walls, I will be running rim brakes so not sure thats the best option

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
They make road hubs in silver... I know that they are in the UK, but if I can have a set here in the US, you should be able to get some in the EU.
Ye Ive started looking at custom wheels. The HUNT Sprint Aero Wide Rim seems pretty much perfect paired with Hope RS4 or Bitex RAF/RAR 12 in silver. The only thing that makes me hesitant against the Hunt rims is that they are 20/24 holes but on the other hand Im a light fellow at 65kg and will only be using this as a road bike on pavement, maybe I can get away with it?
https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/produc...-aero-wide-rim
Old 07-16-23, 06:16 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
The Cycle Clinic is in the UK and they are a Campy centered shop that builds their own wheels and also does full custom if desired. All silver, no problem.
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collect...rake-wheelsets
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/pages/wheelbuilding
Old 07-16-23, 07:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked 1,810 Times in 1,089 Posts
Thanks! Yea Ive looked at Velocity but the Aileron seems to be disc specific and does not have machined side walls, I will be running rim brakes so not sure thats the best option
Right…you’d choose the venerable A23.

Yes Ive started looking at custom wheels. The HUNT Sprint Aero Wide Rim seems pretty much perfect paired with Hope RS4 or Bitex RAF/RAR 12 in silver. The only thing that makes me hesitant against the Hunt rims is that they are 20/24 holes but on the other hand Im a light fellow at 65kg and will only be using this as a road bike on pavement, maybe I can get away with it?
Of course 20/24 spoke counts would be totally fine. Spoke count alone means nothing, and the final wheel quality depends on the total wheel architecture, so a smartly built wheel can serve much great weights with even fewer spokes than that. At 65kg, you have virtually zero to worry about; a 100kg rider might want to pay closer attention that things like flange spacing and height and spoke selection are in service of good bracing angles and balanced spoke tension, but at 65kg, it would take a totally rubbish build to create issues.

And so you know I’m not talking out of my arse, I’ve been on 18/24 spoke, alu rimmed wheels for 10 years, and I weigh 105-110kg. I’ve two pairs of 1395g American Classic Argent wheelsets in service, and I think I’ve only put a spoke wrench on one of them once! How is it possible that 18/24s can handle that kind of weight, 300w FTP, 1400w peak wattage, and a preference for lower RPM/higher torque…all over notoriously rough Michigan roads? I think the answer is smart design. In fact, I’m so confident it’s smart design, that just 5 months ago I retired one set from main duty in favor a 1322g, 16/21 spokes wheelset; so far so good, there, too.
Old 07-16-23, 10:06 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 679 Posts
Check the vintage mavic cosmic expert or mavic cosmic pro on ebay, they are very reliable and bullet proof
Old 07-16-23, 11:19 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,584 Posts
Lack of machined sidewalls isn’t necessarily the problem, but Ailerons are definitely disc-only. If you can find a wheelset made with Quill rims, you’d be in business.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-16-23, 11:21 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 570 Times in 323 Posts
Can you get wheels from Velo Orange where you are located? https://velo-orange.com/collections/wheels-1 I suspect they have exactly what you want although you may have to buy rims and hubs and build them up or have them built up locally. Not sure how bad Transatlantic shipping is now, but I did get a set of Hope wheels shipped to me here in the USA for not too much.
Old 07-16-23, 12:18 PM
Camilo

Ye Ive started looking at custom wheels. The HUNT Sprint Aero Wide Rim seems pretty much perfect paired with Hope RS4 or Bitex RAF/RAR 12 in silver. The only thing that makes me hesitant against the Hunt rims is that they are 20/24 holes but on the other hand Im a light fellow at 65kg and will only be using this as a road bike on pavement, maybe I can get away with it?
A big FWIW. I'm 75kg and have been riding a variety of 20/24 wheels in the ~1,400 - 1,600 gram range for many, many years on the road. I consider them good quality factory aluminum wheels - Reynolds, Williams, Velocity, Bicycle Wheel Warehouse to name a few. I've never had a problem, maybe rarely a small tweak, but so rarely I can't even tell you the last time. At 65kg, it wouldn't cross my mind that that spoke count would be an issue from a reputable company.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-16-23 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-16-23, 12:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4821 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 1,020 Posts

I'm about 83kgs and ride on this wheelset. No issues yet :-)
You may want to ask Hunt if they'll ever restock the complete wheelsets again, or they'll only sell the rims going forward.
https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...-wide-wheelset
Old 07-16-23, 04:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked 2,999 Times in 1,624 Posts
H+Son Archetype on White industries hubs. Hope out of the uk makes very nice silver hubs also (building a tubie set) Rene herse tiress

think this is the look you are going for (bike is ok also )

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-17-23, 02:56 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
Okay, here's one in France that can build with all silver components. Shipping within the EU included. The list is only "suggestions" as they can build you whatever they can get in silver for you.

https://www.lafraisecycles.com/wheels

Signature Wheels

To provide some inspiration and direction regarding pricing, here are a few suggestions of wheels we build for our custom bicycles. Shipping cost within the EU included.

Randonneuse Légère Classique

• Pacenti Brevet rims, Grand Bois or Dia-Compe Ene Touring large flange hubs front and rear: 660 EUR
  • Pacenti Brevet rims, SON Delux or 28 front hub, Grand Bois ou Dia-Compe Ene Touring large flange rear hub: 800 EUR
  • Pacenti Brevet rims, White Industries T11 hubs front and rear: 995 EUR
  • Pacenti Brevet rims, SON Delux or 28 front hub, White Industries T11 rear hub: 1055 Euro
  • Pacenti Brevet rims, Hope RS4 front and rear hubs: 750 Euro
  • Pacenti Brevet rims, SON Delux or 28 front hub, Hope RS4 rear hub: 890 Euro
Classic polished look, rim brakes only, available in sizes 650b and 700c, clincher, perfect for larger tires up to 47mm, front axle spacing 100 mm QR and rear 130 mm QR. For our signature builds we use DT Swiss Competition spokes. They are available for Shimano or Campagnolo 11-speed cassettes. For a wheel set in black, we would replace the Pacenti Brevet with Velocity A23 rims. Hope that helps !

​​​​​​