Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Giant Power Meter

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-23, 11:05 AM
bicycle126312

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Power Meter

I have a Giant Power Pro 2020, it is some kind of Ultegra derived crank based power meter (both sides) built into the arms for the crank.

I thought you were supposed to calibrate these from time to time, I use it with a Garmin Edge 1030, it asks me every time to calibrate, and I say yes, however, it always returns:

"Current Calibration 0"

For the longest time I didn't think much of this, but after reading a bit, it seems like I'm supposed to expect it to show + some number of - some number, at least sometimes.

I think something is broken with this, am I correct in assuming that?

I've also tried this with an Edge 830, same result.

As an aside, I'd also like to point out that the software for this (on the app side, for smart phones, the firmware might be better) appears quite amateurish and low quality. I cannot connect to the device at all on a newer phone, it simply doesn't show up. I have to use an old phone, which does connect, but even then, updating the firmware or attempting to calibrate it through the manufacturer's app, simply throws some error code.
Old 07-24-23, 10:17 AM
msu2001la

Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
Looks like Giant has an app for this. It's called "ride link".
You should be calibrating the PM through that app, not through your Garmin.

Power meter instruction manual-Calibration Power Pro by RideLink.pdf (giant-bicycles.com)
Old 07-24-23, 12:39 PM
bicycle126312

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Looks like Giant has an app for this. It's called "ride link".
You should be calibrating the PM through that app, not through your Garmin.

Power meter instruction manual-Calibration Power Pro by RideLink.pdf (giant-bicycles.com)
They do, this is the software I was referring to here:

As an aside, I'd also like to point out that the software for this (on the app side, for smart phones, the firmware might be better) appears quite amateurish and low quality. I cannot connect to the device at all on a newer phone, it simply doesn't show up. I have to use an old phone, which does connect, but even then, updating the firmware or attempting to calibrate it through the manufacturer's app, simply throws some error code.
Old 08-05-23, 05:46 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Liked 1,717 Times in 780 Posts
A couple of thoughts after working with a 4iiii PM:

The PMs are very simple (dumb) and sometimes can only connect to a single BT device. Maybe make sure your Garmin is off (and no other BT apps are on) before waking up the PM to calibrate with the Giant app.

Batteries. I had to gently abrade the negative side of the battery to get a solid connection. I read the mfgs are coating the batteries with horrible tasting something to keep children from swallowing them.

Good luck with the wonky PM.