Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me organize my shop

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help me organize my shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 03:47 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 247 Posts
Help me organize my shop

My basement workshop is a mess, but I am torn on how to handle it. Mainly bike stuff, but other household repair tools too. I am tired of losing screwdrives, spoke wrenches and pliers.

This is where most of my tools live. I actually bought this on a bike ride!

Overall view. Some bikes in-progress, some just for the memories.

My workbench. maybe put a pegboard over this?

Just an example. I hope to have the discipline to put the tools back.

Or should I get something like this? I don't need to roll it around, but lots of room for cassette tools, cone wrenches and chain tools.
Old 07-25-23, 05:31 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
No pictures, but my layout it something like this. I don’t have enough wall space to pegboard everything, nor do I use my bike tools weekly anymore. This also encompasses more than bike tools (see #6).

1. Tools that are too big to fit in a drawer are hung on the wall. This is 18” pipe and crescent wrenches, long hand saws, the fire extinguisher, frame straightener, etc.
2. Tools that are infrequently used, but when needed used in a group away from their storage location, are stored on a shelf in a zipped canvas bag. Eg. one for torch, pipe cutting, and other plumbing supplies. One for soldering and electrical work, one for the cordless drills, charger, and drivers.
3. Clamps get clamped to a column or ceiling rafter above my head.
4. Generic tools are grouped by type in a small drawer type toolbox. Screwdrivers in one drawer, pliers in the second, wrenches in DIY fabric wrench rolls in the third. Allen wrenches in this drawer too. Tape measure and other frequently needed misc. tools on the top. I’d say 90% of my tool needs come from this small box.
5. Auto tools that don’t fit in the small carry (it’s heavy) size box go in the larger rolling chest under it. One drawer for junk, one for sockets, one for sealants, one for files and the hacksaw, one for hammers and big stuff, one for torque wrenches. Anything with even cheap ball bearing slides keeps me happy.
6. You’ll notice a lot of tools that I might use on a bike already have a home. This. Leaves another 3 drawer portable toolbox for my bike specific tools. Again, most used on top to least on the bottoms. The top of this chest has the stuff I want within reach first. Lubricants, cable and housing ferrule bottles, electrical tape (in a tiny rectangular bin), cable cutters, allen wrenches, etc. Cone and spoke wrenches in the first drawer. Freewheel, bottom bracket, crank removal, etc. tools in the next drawer. Bottom drawer is the big stuff. Chain whips, headset wrenches, a DIY headset press that packs down very small. If I want to work outside my hose I throw some screwdrivers and wrenches into a bag, grab this box, and go on my way.
8. I don’t keep a big collection of bike parts, but those are all in PROPERLY LABELLED plastic shoeboxes, the sort you get for $1 each. One each for derailers, pedals, cables, stems, reflectors, tubes, etc. I rarely fill a box because most of my spare parts have been used or given away, but if I do then I break it into two and relabel. Example if derailers filled up I might make one box for fronts and one for rears, or MTB vs road.
9. Metalworking tools and fixtures go in a much heavier box (Lista, Vidmar, etc.). This is major overkill for most things and I wouldn’t bother, but when you put 200 to 300 pounds into a single drawer some of the requirements change.
10. The bench vise is bolted to a bench. The only reason that bench isn’t screwed to the wall is that I’m not sure I like its current location.
Old 07-25-23, 05:34 PM
jccaclimber

Beyond the TLDR I wrote above, labels and things being straight go a long way. Raise your bike hooks enough that the rear wheels are just off the ground and the frames hang straight. It’ll take a similar amount of space, but look nicer. That and adding lighting makes workspaces much more pleasant.
Old 07-25-23, 06:02 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 3,102 Times in 1,870 Posts
I prefer white peg board. I wouldn't want it nearly as cluttered as the one pictured--that can be less than useful, Some folks draw outlines of their tools on the board with a sharpie to remember where they go. Much of my bike work involves generic tools like box end wrenches or screwdrivers. I keep most of my bike-specific tools in a tool box in the house. A bench vice is a necessity. I also prefer to line the front edge of my bench in aluminum or steel angle iron.

Old 07-25-23, 06:27 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Maybe I need a combo of both. Pegboard to easily access frequently used items, but drawers for small items, extra CO2 cartridges, freewheel removers, etc.

And definitely agree on the lighting.

Oh, can't easily move the rack for bikes, it is screwed into the cinder block.
Old 07-25-23, 06:30 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by bblair

That’s my next project. Have a nice LED bench lamp I need to install.
Old 07-25-23, 06:35 PM
smd4

You’ve got a good start with that workbench, but man! All that wasted space on the wall behind it!!
Old 07-25-23, 09:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 743 Posts
Last couple years I've been using a US general side cabinet with peg board, and a small bench top, it wasn't big enough so this year I bought the 44" cabinet for my wood shop and moved my 26" to the basement workshop. Where it was really too small and useless in the woodshop the 26" is a good size for the bike repair setup in the basement. Now I need to stop being lazy and make a new benchtop for it and get two more pegboard panels for the back to have the best layout.
Regarding the 44" cabinet you show, you'll need some real help moving it to the basement. I had no real problems soloing the 26" down the stairs to the basement. I struggled just to get the 44" up the one step into the woodshop and from there into the shop. It is really heavy and I wouldn't try taking it down some steps without some real help.
Old 07-25-23, 11:14 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 451 Posts
I went the roll away route.
It's just an easy solution that can be moved when (not if) you decide to rearrange your work space.
(Series2 is a good choice since it's readily expandable)
((I went he cheaper route))
Old 07-26-23, 12:03 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 241 Posts
For perspective, I'm a working bicycle mechanic. My personal basement shop is a semi-clustershow most of the time, but I keep all my personal tools in a nice mobile pelican case, but that's only for the occasional times I do race support, otherwise a more general purpose tool cabinet makes more sense. I use the single drawer under my bench for very small parts storage (bolts, hangers, ferrules, end caps, etc)Your wood shelving looks pretty OK for medium-sized parts storage.

Some professional workspaces use cabinet drawers for everything because it looks clean, and encourages cleanliness, but I really like having pegboard for common tools-- don't go overboard, but try to keep everything you're likely to use often in reach, and make use of the vertical space you have. Try to get absolutely everything you possibly can off the work bench--it tends to get mixed up with tools you're using, and you need all that room sometimes. Get some small parts organizing boxes with dividers.
Old 07-26-23, 01:19 AM
jccaclimber

Maybe I need a combo of both. Pegboard to easily access frequently used items, but drawers for small items, extra CO2 cartridges, freewheel removers, etc.

Oh, can't easily move the rack for bikes, it is screwed into the cinder block.
a masonry bit, even in a normal drill, and a pack of block inserts will solve that problem. Easier with a hammer drill, but the bit will survive in a normal drill for that quantity of holes.
Old 07-26-23, 03:16 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 88 Posts
Peg boards are good, but I find magnetic bars very handy. Easy to screw on and easy to move if you want to rearrange. Oh, you can also expand to the spare bedroom, I mean what a waste being spare…….
Old 07-26-23, 08:52 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,075 Posts
My problem is having multiple work places. Having thousands of tools I own 3 roll aways. Main in the garage for mostly hand and automotive tools. Second in the garage stores mostly automotive parts and supplies and gets used as mobile work station, third is in the basement for hand tools. Power tools (circle saw, sanders heat gun, etc) store in old kitchen cabinets mounted on the basement workshop walls. Other cased power tools (sawzall, angle grinder) as well as small job specific (plumbing, electrical) tool boxes sit under basement workbench. Cordless tools are canvas tool bags W/acc, 1 for regular use (drill, saw) and 1 for less frequent (angle grinder, sabre saw).

There is also peg board above the basement wortkbench for frequent use things like some screwdrivers as well as things like framing squares, larger pipe wrenches
That workbench has a 5" vise and 8" angle grinder on it with switched outlets mounted in front. A few old steel factory work shelved tables in the garage store things, one has 2 vises on it, another has the drill press.
Starting out I always advise people to buy a bottom roll away. Mount a piece of 3/4" plywood on top and it stores tools and is a mobile work table. at least until like all horizontal surfaces, it fills with junk.

Bike tools are in 2 small portable tool boxes. One has the common hand tools and bike specific like spoke & cone wrenches, cassette/crank/chain tools. The other one has less common used or larger like headset wrenches, cotter tool, chain whip

Old 07-26-23, 08:58 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 693 Posts
Tool boards are useful for "at a glance" inventory of your tools. when working on aircraft and spacecraft, a continuous inventory is critical to ensure that you have not inadvertently left a tool inside a bay or in a nacelle. Or ensure that nobody has walked off with that Snap-On ratchet handle

not to mention quick access.

A pleasant, well organized work area will make the process of working on bikes much more pleasant. And don't forget lighting ! I have had very good luck with 12 volt LED light bars that are intended for vehicle use. A good lighting setup will transform your work area and make every project easier !

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 07-26-23 at 09:03 AM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-26-23, 09:49 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 281 Posts
Nope, not going to bother...neat and orderly is a trait of genetics...all others just do what you can and leave my work shop and tools alone...good luck ! ! !
Old 07-26-23, 11:22 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5120 Post(s)
Liked 8,457 Times in 3,993 Posts
My 20'x20' garage is a multi-use space...

Here's a closer shot of the bike area...
Old 07-26-23, 11:55 AM
ATL720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
If you have time to go down a youtube rabit hole.

Can't post links but search for 5 Principles of Organization from Van Neistat.

And also there are many videos from Adam Savage on shop organization. A recent one titled "Adam Savage Rearranges His Workshop Storage System" shows a bunch of stuff, but there are others. Lots of good products and ideas mentioned in these videos for inspiration.

You're starting from a good place in that you seem to have not that much stuff and plenty of free space. Some bins, labels, and shelves/pegboard behind that workbench will go a long way.
Old 07-26-23, 12:57 PM
bblair

That rolling cabinet was just an example, not one I am looking to purchase. Some of those are crazy expensive.
Old 07-26-23, 01:34 PM
ATL720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure if you're responding to me or someone else, but I get that and don't think you need that rolling cabinet based on the stuff I see you having right there. I would start with two things. One, measure those metal shelves in your first picture, get some plastic storage totes that fit them, put some thought into logical groupings, and label all the stuff in there. It looks like you have some messy shelves to the left of your bikes, so do the same thing there with some bigger storage bins. Second, everything off your workspace into a home either on those shelves or on the wall behind your work bench.

No one can tell you exactly what to do with your stuff, since it's specific to what stuff you have and what your space looks like, but I think a little thought, some bins, and a sharpie will go a long way here.
Old 07-26-23, 01:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,636 Posts
Careful what you ask for. If you get your shop organized, it's going to want better pay, shorter hours and no work on weekends.
Old 07-26-23, 01:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,636 Posts

Or should I get something like this? I don't need to roll it around, but lots of room for cassette tools, cone wrenches and chain tools.
I have a smaller version of that as my bike table. Plywood top Made a back as a tool board and partial side for more tools, lubes, etc and to keep tools from falling off. Fastened 1/2 dowels to the front corners so I can lean my bike against it without worrying about the paint.

Mine is on the cheap side and is not a sturdy work platform. For that I use my big bench.
Old 07-26-23, 04:54 PM
jccaclimber

That rolling cabinet was just an example, not one I am looking to purchase. Some of those are crazy expensive.
While it’s quite possible to put $7000 into a single rolling tool chest, it’s also quite possible to get something very useful for $100 on Craigslist, sometimes even still looking nice.

The main goal is to have a labelled home with clear boundaries for everything. Toolboxes are a common one, but everything from margarine tubs to shoeboxes can accomplish this.
Old 07-27-23, 08:43 AM
bblair

Maybe this should be a winter project.

I think I will go with both. Pegboard behind my workbench for frequently used stuff like hammers, screw drivers, wrenches. Tool box with drawers for smaller bike related stuff like chain tools, spoke wrench, cassette tool.

I should probably also toss a lot of stuff.
Old 07-27-23, 10:22 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3367 Post(s)
Liked 2,198 Times in 1,246 Posts
After living in the house for 18 years I finally got my **** together and put my shop together, collecting all the assorted tools from 4 or 5 work boxes. I had forgotten all the stuff I had, like multiple caulk guns, etc.... I was given with the house about 100 peg board holders then purchased additional, plus the pegboard. It's all well organkzed and I mostly keep it that way. My work bench had been a 4x3 butcher block table that I simply used as the base for 9 ft. of finish grade 3/4 ply as a top. Plus additional LED lighting so I can see. It was worth it.
Old 07-27-23, 04:16 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
I bought a used optical table to use as a workbench. I've had no regrets at the price point. Great for fixturing jigs or work pieces (all the holes are 1/8-20 threaded), you can melt metal on it, spill acid on it, easy to clean.

Likes For ericoseveins:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.