Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot Ultima Vs etoile...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 03:40 PM
Gaz_

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hi all.

I have a 1987 Peugeot Etoile. It's a hle Mangaloy frame, 12 speed Sachs Huret gearing, I've upgraded the weinman brakes to tektro r359s.

Here's a picture. I bought it for £100, probably a little costly, but it was lockdown and I was bored. It's my first road bike, it might be a little small for me, but again, it's all abit new to me.

I love the colour scheme. It's immense.

So, I'm intrigued by this upgrade.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225578456216

Obviously, it's a higher spec bike. It's got Reynolds 653* tubing, etc etc etc.

My question is. How much better. I think I could get £100 for mine, so would this be £180 better than my existing?? Do I really need it? And can we all be honest, mine looks better right?

Thanks for any convincing either way!

*Edited... I got the frame tube wrong, cheers billytwosheds

Last edited by Gaz_; 07-25-23 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-25-23, 04:26 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Liked 539 Times in 239 Posts
I would expect the bike from the fleabay listing to be quite a departure from your current Pug.

The 653 frame (not "651") is a high end tube set. And the Shimano 600 kit is solid. The size sounds like it would be better for you, and the geometry would mean it's an energetic rider.

Not sure what your reason for wanting to get a new bike, but that's not something I'll argue with.

If the new bike is in good shape, as it appears -- though it will likely need consumables like cables/housing and maybe rubber, it seems like a good option.
Old 07-25-23, 06:00 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Liked 727 Times in 444 Posts
Of course, the answer is: both.

I like how the two have mirror-image color schemes.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 07-26-23, 09:29 AM
Gaz_

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Of course, the answer is: both.

I like how the two have mirror-image color schemes.
Sadly, unlike Billy I only have one shed... I wonder though. I tend to go out on my trek mountain bike, because I find it comfier, which I've always put down to the face it's a mountain bike rather than a lean in road bike. But could that be the frame being too small?

I'm 5-11, and I think my etoile is a 54cm frame.
Likes For Gaz_:
Old 07-26-23, 12:41 PM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Liked 128 Times in 44 Posts
5-11 is about 180cm I assume? That would make a 56 more appropriate, unless you have relative short legs.

Please be aware that not every 54cm is the same. Classic bikes are measured at the seat tube, with Peugeot probably center-top, which makes it 53 center-center. And that sizing is really about how high or low the handlebar can go, thus your drop.

A more important sizing (to me ) is the top tube. Often a 53 bike also has a top tube of 53cm, but it could be anywhere between 52 or 57 I would think. And you can play a bit with a longer or shorter stem, but that will affect the handling. And in adjusting a bike geometry, 1 cm is a lot, 3cm is really a lot.

The Ultima looks to be 56 or 57? I would guess, simply from the photo, that it might be a better fit. If it has a 60 cm seattube, I think it might be too large, unless you have relative long legs. At a size of 60cm, top tubes stay at some kind of maximum length.
You could take a riding photo of you on your current bike. Some people can that way easily see if it fits or not.
Old 07-26-23, 02:07 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Liked 539 Times in 239 Posts
Gaz_ At 5'11 the Pug you have is probably a several cm too small for you. I see a lot of seatpost and the bars tilted back, probably as a way to make it manageable.

The fleabay frame lists as a 58cm seat tube with a 56cm top tube. My guess is that it would fit you, but you won't know how it feels until you try it. It's a nice bike for sure, and I doubt you would have trouble moving it along if you didn't like it.
Old 07-26-23, 11:44 PM
Gaz_

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Gaz_ At 5'11 the Pug you have is probably a several cm too small for you. I see a lot of seatpost and the bars tilted back, probably as a way to make it manageable.

The fleabay frame lists as a 58cm seat tube with a 56cm top tube. My guess is that it would fit you, but you won't know how it feels until you try it. It's a nice bike for sure, and I doubt you would have trouble moving it along if you didn't like it.
Incredible eyes, I have done both of those things to make it more comfortable to ride! It's starting to look like I should go to London and try it I think.
Likes For Gaz_:
Old 07-26-23, 11:50 PM
1simplexnut 

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Liked 642 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaz_
Incredible eyes, I have done both of those things to make it more comfortable to ride! It's starting to look like I should go to London and try it I think.
Do it !!! The ride will be a revelation !
Thats my opinion only
Looks like the size will suit better than the Etoile too.