Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage bikes with 700c and wide tire clearance (cantis)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage bikes with 700c and wide tire clearance (cantis)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 12:50 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 264 Posts
Yeah, shaving 200 grams off a touring bike is a bit of a misplaced priority. Is not like we are 150-pound racers trying to shave seconds off a race. Even in brevets and randoneering it has minimal effect.
Old 07-26-23, 12:59 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned and in case you aren't aware of the terminology,...

Look for a non-suspension "29er".

A 29er will be a mountain bike with LOTS of clearance for wide tires, and the early ones likely use cantilever brakes. The 29 designation refers to their use of 700c wheels.

A quick picture search yielded this:

Another quick search:

Last edited by Bad Lag; 07-26-23 at 01:05 PM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 07-26-23, 01:16 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, Karate Monkey, Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66
you’re right my mistake. Still very nice bike
In the end the CC will take 44's without fenders, 38's with the carbon fork and costs $600 OOTB it's not super light and it's not intended to be but if you really want an old school bike with modern standards it's not a bad choice.

^Keep in mind that I'm a Surly guy I own four and when I get back to the states in October it'll be five when I buy my Big Easy.
Old 07-26-23, 01:24 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
So would I, but I was really only half guessing, and this review also posted by sol is why https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...oia-allez.html

Champion 2 + champion 3 down tube sounds like to me. At any rate, really nice bike. I would love to have another one in my size.
That's a different model year, he's got a 1986 Sequoia which was quoted as weighing ~5 pounds 9 ounces in another SoL review that I linked further up in the thread. Here it is: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-sequoia.html

~2500g for a 60cm frame isn't bad, but it isn't exactly super lightweight. Which is why I said that if he's fine with his current road-ish bike frame weight it really opens up his options to nearly any cro-mo frame.
Likes For Piff:
Old 07-26-23, 01:48 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
That's a different model year, he's got a 1986 Sequoia which was quoted as weighing ~5 pounds 9 ounces in another SoL review that I linked further up in the thread. Here it is: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-sequoia.html

~2500g for a 60cm frame isn't bad, but it isn't exactly super lightweight. Which is why I said that if he's fine with his current road-ish bike frame weight it really opens up his options to nearly any cro-mo frame.
Well, I'm tempted to ask Portlandjim if he knows. I'd also like to know what Tenax is but that's a different story.
Old 07-26-23, 11:56 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
I'd also like to know what Tenax is but that's a different story.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ax-tubing.html (And another link inside that thread if you really want to dig into it.)
Tenax is a seamed and then drawn cromoly tubeset manufactured by Columbus and sold exclusively to Schwinn. Similar to Cromor. It's not clear whether there was a consistent set of tubing thicknesses, or if Schwinn ordered it in different thicknesses for different models or years.
Old 07-27-23, 01:53 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 1,033 Times in 545 Posts
Also look for a Centurion Pro-tour. From 83 newer they have canti brakes. I had 38mm tires on mine when I had it

Old 07-28-23, 02:17 PM
Danmozy66

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Sequoia, 1995 KHS Montana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.

I think I found something that might do the job, a hybrid. Saw this (I think 98) trek 730 posted today and am going to see it tomorrow for $200. Looks to be all original, and maybe I can make some future upgrades if I feel inclined, like drop bars etc.

For this catalogue year, it doesn’t look like they had a 750 (therefore maybe it’s their top steel multitrack, for what that’s worth?) and it doesn’t list tubing as true temper or anything special (like TT on the 520, for example) it just says full chromoly (as opposed to the 720 where the stays are hi-ten). I am assuming the bike is like 27lbs or so. Did the later multitracks lose their luster a bit vs a few years prior or are these considered decent still?

Presuming the fit is good, do we think this could be a good choice?

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2...998_20trek.pdf

Last edited by Danmozy66; 07-28-23 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-28-23, 02:27 PM
tdrich07

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
That wouldn't be the bike I would look for. At least in my area, which is rural, Multitracks commonly pop up for $75-100 with an hour or two, even as low as $50. I even picked up a lugged 790 for $150 this summer (it was the first one I'd ever seen though).

With that bike, even the tires look original. By the time you factor in new handlebars, shifters, tires, seat post, stem, etc. you're probably looking at a $500 investment. You can buy a lot of bike for that.

I'd try to find something that is at least early 90s - IMO that's the real sweet spot as far as value goes. By the time you get to this era you get a lot less bike for your money as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-28-23, 02:35 PM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tdrich07
That wouldn't be the bike I would look for. At least in my area, which is rural, Multitracks commonly pop up for $75-100 with an hour or two, even as low as $50. I even picked up a lugged 790 for $150 this summer (it was the first one I'd ever seen though).

With that bike, even the tires look original. By the time you factor in new handlebars, shifters, tires, seat post, stem, etc. you're probably looking at a $500 investment. You can buy a lot of bike for that.

I'd try to find something that is at least early 90s - IMO that's the real sweet spot as far as value goes. By the time you get to this era you get a lot less bike for your money as far as I'm concerned.
good advice. I’m in Toronto and the market is pretty expensive here. I don’t mind that it’s original because it suggests it was lightly ridden but I see your point. Was only going to consider the higher spec’d multitracks, if any, and it wasn’t clear if this was one, given there were no models higher than 730’s in this year. Did seem a bit much price wise for this, but wanted to see how you guys were rating it. It’s interesting to hear your point about diminishing value later in the 90s. Definitely seemed like the manufacturer’s focus was switching away from their premier bikes being steel. For example there is no 750 in ‘98 but instead they point you to a 7500 aluminum

Last edited by Danmozy66; 07-28-23 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-28-23, 03:03 PM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Maybe this crossroads trail LX that is posted is a better start? Seems to be from 92 with LX components although the top tube geo seems more sloping in the catalogue. $100. The bigger size could be better for me in terms of drop bars in the end. Not sure if these frames are considered decent
Old 07-28-23, 03:08 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 450 Posts

I think I found something that might do the job, a hybrid. Saw this (I think 98) trek 730 posted today and am going to see it tomorrow for $200. Looks to be all original, and maybe I can make some future upgrades if I feel inclined, like drop bars etc.

For this catalogue year, it doesn’t look like they had a 750 (therefore maybe it’s their top steel multitrack, for what that’s worth?) and it doesn’t list tubing as true temper or anything special (like TT on the 520, for example) it just says full chromoly (as opposed to the 720 where the stays are hi-ten). I am assuming the bike is like 27lbs or so. Did the later multitracks lose their luster a bit vs a few years prior or are these considered decent still?

That would be a good choice. Full chromoly, lots of options for upgrades and different configurations. $200 seems high though, unless it's in really great condition.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-28-23, 03:18 PM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
otherwise maybe I stay patient and look for one of these nicer older touring bikes, but I haven’t seen any yet
Old 07-28-23, 03:20 PM
tdrich07

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Here's a pretty good example for what that Crossroads could be. For half the price, I think you're doing much better there. I'm still a sucker for a lugged frame, so if I'm looking for a vintage bike I'm going to go all-in on, that's what I'm looking for, but that's just a personal preference.

One thing that's holding me up is I can't tell for sure if the Crossroads Trail LX is CroMo or not. The sport version says it is, but nothing for the Trail.

Likes For tdrich07:
Old 07-28-23, 09:02 PM
Jeff Neese

otherwise maybe I stay patient and look for one of these nicer older touring bikes, but I haven’t seen any yet
If you set up saved searches and alerts on Craigslist and FB Marketplace and include all the models you're interested in, then you just have to look every day and be patient. Sometimes it takes a while for the right one to come along.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-30-23, 01:31 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
If you set up saved searches and alerts on Craigslist and FB Marketplace and include all the models you're interested in, then you just have to look every day and be patient. Sometimes it takes a while for the right one to come along.
That works when the seller knows how to properly brand/post the bike s/he's selling, and when the seller knows how to spell. Still worth scouring the sale sites frequently for poorly listed, but good deal, bikes.
Old 07-31-23, 10:10 AM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
That would be a good choice. Full chromoly, lots of options for upgrades and different configurations. $200 seems high though, unless it's in really great condition.
I went and looked at it, and yes it is in really good original condition. Unfortunately the original parts don’t make for the coolest looking bike off the hop. Factory hubs and components are Altus level which are potentially a bit meh, and stock bar not so great, but I’m hoping something like this could happen eventually?

These are pics from a multitrack forum on here. Some got it down to around 22-23lbs. Seems like 40mm tires will clear comfortably as well. Thoughts on the 730? They didn’t make a 750-790 in 98. I think it was their highest tier hybrid steel frame for whatever that is worth haha

From bikeforums multitrack thread

Last edited by Danmozy66; 07-31-23 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-01-23, 09:14 AM
Jeff Neese

I went and looked at it, and yes it is in really good original condition. Unfortunately the original parts don’t make for the coolest looking bike off the hop. Factory hubs and components are Altus level which are potentially a bit meh, and stock bar not so great, but I’m hoping something like this could happen eventually?
There's nothing really wrong with Altus, if you get the bike cheap. The lower-end Shimano stuff is referred to as "cheap and cheerful" - it works fine even if it is low-end. Replace it with better components as things wear out or as budget permits. If it still has the original gripshifters, that would be the first to be upgraded.

The 1998 catalog shows the 730 as being equipped with a combination of Acera and Alivio, which were still not high-end, but better than Altus.
Old 08-01-23, 09:29 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 423 Posts
The later model Multitracks had more of a road oriented geometry, so lower bottom brackets and I think shorter top tubes.
Old 08-01-23, 09:42 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 193 Posts

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2...998_20trek.pdf
If it is cromoly you are good to go. This one is more like an early 2000's though. Likely the year before they changed to aluminum frames and went to 7300 numberage.
Old 08-01-23, 09:48 AM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
There's nothing really wrong with Altus, if you get the bike cheap. The lower-end Shimano stuff is referred to as "cheap and cheerful" - it works fine even if it is low-end. Replace it with better components as things wear out or as budget permits. If it still has the original gripshifters, that would be the first to be upgraded.

The 1998 catalog shows the 730 as being equipped with a combination of Acera and Alivio, which were still not high-end, but better than Altus.
you’re right, acera hubs. I get confused by all these later A groups. It’s not the smoothest when I checked and wheels not super true, but maybe could be resolved with interim servicing
Old 08-01-23, 09:49 AM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
If it is cromoly you are good to go. This one is more like an early 2000's though. Likely the year before they changed to aluminum frames and went to 7300 numberage.
it’s full chromoly yup. It’s a 98
Old 08-01-23, 09:50 AM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
The later model Multitracks had more of a road oriented geometry, so lower bottom brackets and I think shorter top tubes.
this is interesting. I think i like that
Old 08-01-23, 10:34 AM
Danmozy66

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
. Replace it with better components as things wear out or as budget permits. If it still has the original gripshifters, that would be the first to be upgraded.
Yup grips gotta go. I think I have a suntour 7 speed thumbie and a deore dx front 3 thumbies lying around, I’ll read into compatibility. Going to go see it tonight again and see if he’ll take less. It’s kind of neat in the way that it’s the end of an era
Old 08-01-23, 11:03 AM
Jeff Neese

Yup grips gotta go. I think I have a suntour 7 speed thumbie and a deore dx front 3 thumbies lying around, I’ll read into compatibility. Going to go see it tonight again and see if he’ll take less. It’s kind of neat in the way that it’s the end of an era
My guess is that if he's asking $200, it's been on the market for a while, is that right? It's a good frame to build up, but you'll spend some money if a lot of things need replacing, especially wheels. I'd offer him $100.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.