Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ID (Japanese?) Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ID (Japanese?) Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 01:39 PM
Amitch

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
ID (Japanese?) Bike

Super newbie here tryin to ID a bike. I recently nabbed a project bike and am trying to get an ID that I feel confident with. I can't post pictures yet but I have an album labeled "Brown Bike" with the pictures of; the bike, the serial #, the badge, and a catalogue page I found online that seems to be very similar.

The # on the bottom bracket is "CS 301750"
The Badge is metal, features a large v and as the word "Silk"

My research so far makes me think it is a 80's Katakura and the color looks original making me think it might be something similar to the camping & touring model (page found in the album)
Anyways I loved the look of the bike, at first I was just interested in fixing it up a bit but the more I hunt for pieces and parts the more I'd like to see it restored. Now, I'm not sure if different parts and components are original to it, so getting a positive ID seemed like the first step in figuring it out.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-31-23, 02:26 PM
juvela

Liked 3,791 Times in 2,447 Posts
-----

​​​​​​

-----
Old 07-31-23, 05:05 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Liked 2,014 Times in 1,064 Posts
The picture is not really detailed enough for me to properly consider quality level. The stem shifters and 27" wheels suggest an entry level steed, The fact that the 27" rims suggests, to me. not bottom of the line. Other than that, without better pictures, I can't offer much more help.

That said, there is nothing wrong with restoring an entry level bike. This old Torpado, an entry level Italian steed from the late sixties, set me back a few hundred bucks to get it looking like this...

Is it fun to ride? Yes but do not expect snappy performance. The Torpado, is a plodder not a racer, but a hoot to ride, none the less.
Old 08-01-23, 09:03 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Liked 142 Times in 86 Posts
The cottered cranks, stem shifters and side pull brakes suggest that the bike doesn't have too much in common the "Touring and Camping" bike in the catalogue.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 08-01-23, 10:50 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Liked 554 Times in 218 Posts
Amitch I can confirm you have a Katakura Silk bicycle. Matches this one: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ilk-sport.html

As others have noted, it's a low-end model from the bike boom era. I haven't seen this headbadge used on models for the Japanese market, so it may be that yours was intended specifically for the USA market, which means it won't be found in the Japanese Katakura catalogs.
Old 08-01-23, 01:25 PM
Amitch

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you so much for the help and the link I will definitely check it out!
Old 08-01-23, 01:29 PM
Amitch

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
The picture is not really detailed enough for me to properly consider quality level. The stem shifters and 27" wheels suggest an entry level steed, The fact that the 27" rims suggests, to me. not bottom of the line. Other than that, without better pictures, I can't offer much more help.

That said, there is nothing wrong with restoring an entry level bike. This old Torpado, an entry level Italian steed from the late sixties, set me back a few hundred bucks to get it looking like this...

Is it fun to ride? Yes but do not expect snappy performance. The Torpado, is a plodder not a racer, but a hoot to ride, none the less.
Thanks for sharing, that looks awesome! 100% agree, I'm not bothered by it being an entry level bike. I like the style and want to do my best to restore it. If I can't then I would like to at least get it close and get creative with he rest!
Old 08-01-23, 01:38 PM
Amitch

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nolan
The cottered cranks, stem shifters and side pull brakes suggest that the bike doesn't have too much in common the "Touring and Camping" bike in the catalogue.
Thanks for pointing those out, I had noticed the sifters were in a different spot but couldn't find any examples of them starting off on the stem. I was wondering if they maybe were moved later? Or was that a common placement at the time?
Old 08-01-23, 02:04 PM
Amitch

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
The picture is not really detailed enough for me to properly consider quality level. The stem shifters and 27" wheels suggest an entry level steed, The fact that the 27" rims suggests, to me. not bottom of the line. Other than that, without better pictures, I can't offer much more help
I've just updated the album with some more pictures, hopefully these come through a little more clearly.
Old 08-01-23, 05:04 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Liked 142 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Amitch
Thanks for pointing those out, I had noticed the sifters were in a different spot but couldn't find any examples of them starting off on the stem. I was wondering if they maybe were moved later? Or was that a common placement at the time?
Yes, stem shifters were quite common for a while. They're likely to be original.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 08-02-23, 12:04 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: Gängl, Trek 938, Raleigh Professional, Paramount, Allez, Guerciotti, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 750, Miyata 1000 < Huffy

Liked 4,008 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Amitch
I'm not bothered by it being an entry level bike.

You are in good company

Keep us updated on how the cleanup and resto goes. And welcome!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 08-02-23, 06:37 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Liked 208 Times in 150 Posts
The model looks like Katakura Silk Speedmaster.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...road-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eedmaster.html
Likes For Hummer:
Old 08-03-23, 11:26 AM
Amitch

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
The model looks like Katakura Silk Speedmaster.
Very cool, yeah the second link esp. look spot on, thanks for the help!