Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Breaking at single speed chain quick link.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-23, 02:29 PM
SwingNinja

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to troubleshoot a recuring issue with my bike chain (single speed). It breaks quite often, but at the quick link (also single speed type). I've wasted 2-3 of them so far. So, I'm trying to understand what's going on. Is it just weak by design? Should I put a permanent link on it instead? Many youtube videos seem to like the quicklink solution.
Old 08-13-23, 02:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked 5,745 Times in 2,901 Posts
What brand chain and link?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-13-23, 02:47 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,960 Posts
Are you using 1/8" (single-speed/track) chain or 3/32" (derailleur-type) chain? If 1/8" chain, try joining the ends directly, instead of using a quick link. Unlike modern derailleur chains, 1/8" chain is pinned, not riveted, so if you don't drive the pin completely out when you trim or open the chain, you can push the same pin back in when you rejoin the ends.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-13-23, 03:39 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by SwingNinja
I'm trying to troubleshoot a recuring issue with my bike chain (single speed). It breaks quite often, but at the quick link (also single speed type). I've wasted 2-3 of them so far. So, I'm trying to understand what's going on. Is it just weak by design? Should I put a permanent link on it instead? Many youtube videos seem to like the quicklink solution.
The fact that the chain is breaking frequently suggests you have it too tight. This puts extreme stress on the chain, resulting in breakage. As JohnD noted, if the chain is wider than a modern derailleur chain, a chain tool should allow you to just use a chain pin with no issues. But if the chain is too tight, that won't help much.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 08-13-23, 05:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 1,569 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
The fact that the chain is breaking frequently suggests you have it too tight. This puts extreme stress on the chain, resulting in breakage. As JohnD noted, if the chain is wider than a modern derailleur chain, a chain tool should allow you to just use a chain pin with no issues. But if the chain is too tight, that won't help much.
THIS

I feel like an old broken record having to repeat "THE RIGHT CHAIN TENSION IS NO TENSION". It's reached the point when I cringe when I hear someone ask how to properly tension a chain. We need a new word there so noobs aren't fooled into believing that it's necessary. Running a chain without slack that will vary slightly from a bit to a slight but visible droop is the kiss of death.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-13-23, 05:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4866 Post(s)
Liked 4,016 Times in 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
THIS

I feel like an old broken record having to repeat "THE RIGHT CHAIN TENSION IS NO TENSION". It's reached the point when I cringe when I hear someone ask how to properly tension a chain. We need a new word there so noobs aren't fooled into believing that it's necessary. Running a chain without slack that will vary slightly from a bit to a slight but visible droop is the kiss of death.
FB, easy. I set chain slack. Prefer 1/2" to 3/4" total play up and down at mid chainstay but not so high quality chainrings sometimes have me pushing both limits.

Chain slack, not chain tension. They really are slackers. They love just hanging around doing nothing until you drag them out for a ride. If you keep them under tension, watch out! They'll be institution bound before you know it. (If you are sharp enough to have them committed before they snap.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-13-23, 06:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 1,569 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
FB, easy. I set chain slack. Prefer 1/2" to 3/4" total play.....

Chain slack, not chain tension. .....
I agree totally, and only prefer less slack than you because I ride fixed (not trendy, since 1969) and prefer minimal backlash. My drivetrain is of good enough quality to work close to zero without issues.

BTW I don't have issues when experienced people talk about "tension" because we're on the same page. My issue is that we have large numbers of folks going SS or fixed, and working hard on getting ALL the slack out. It probably would br so problematic if it weren't that the last time they rode SS, their dad (or mom) fixed their 20" coaster brake bike.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-13-23 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-13-23, 08:25 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 994 Posts
This sort of reminds me of my first bike. I had just learned how to ride so my dad bought me a bike. It was a fixed gear. I was just a beginner and the bike had no brakes other than back pedalling, but that was fine with me, all I wanted was to have my own bike having learned to ride on my aunt's 28" wheel roadster. Well, I broke the chain several times in the first couple of weeks that I rode that bike and my dad took it back to where he had bought it.
To replace it he bought me an 18" wheel BSA bike that had a rear coaster brake and a front rod operated brake. I loved that bike and so did my brother and cousin who both also rode it
Old 08-13-23, 11:56 PM
Tommygunxs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
do you have the right size on the quick link?, I have quick link on my bikes and it never breaks and I use my bike a loot.
Old 08-15-23, 06:30 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
THIS

Totally agree and this is the main reason I am not a fan of drive belts. The tension required puts far too much stress on drive components.
I have had this discussion with Aaron Goss and to use his words, belts are for pants.
Old 08-15-23, 07:13 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 457 Posts
Put a good BMX chain and a real master link and your problems will go away. Quick links are great on multispeed bikes or to save weight.
Not so much running fixed. thin side plates are not conducive to durability.
Multispeed chains are riveted. Why? Shift quality.
BMX chains are made to be strong in a straight pull configuration, no compromise.
Multispeed chains are a compromise.
BMX is what it is, straight up brute force.
a real BMX master link

Last edited by Schweinhund; 08-15-23 at 07:30 AM.