Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Test your wits - Suntour Symmetric reassembly challenge! With pics!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Test your wits - Suntour Symmetric reassembly challenge! With pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-19, 08:44 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ozneddy
The whole thing looks like a PITA, umaaaa someone said "Sheldon" was wrong--shame on you !
This has been my observations of Suntour parts in general compared to Shimano . Suntour seemed to like making some things overly complex compared to the simpler Shimano offerings.
Old 06-09-19, 10:18 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
This has been my observations of Suntour parts in general compared to Shimano . Suntour seemed to like making some things overly complex compared to the simpler Shimano offerings.
I don’t believe you.

Old 06-09-19, 11:08 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3954 Post(s)
Liked 6,642 Times in 3,287 Posts
No need to be intimidated. These are easy to fully overhaul. You just have to be meticulous and deliberate in your focus. It may help to take photos along the way.

And they work with both normal front derailleurs and reverse-normal ones like the Spirt.
Old 06-16-19, 02:04 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 367 Posts
My FD went wonky on my Symmetric shifters and despite having the diagram I could not get it back together without have a ton of lateral play in the shift lever however I came up with a solution...

Thanks Ebay
Old 01-18-20, 09:49 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
My schematic breakdown is slightly different than the OP's. It appears my levers are missing 1 thin washer and the lock washers under the outer bolts. My lever are a different version of the OP's which may explain the difference. Regardless assembly is the same.

A few random notes:
1. The thin metal washers are alwayd placed against the lever handles. One on the inside, one on the outside.
2. There are 3 thick notched washers. The 2 matching washers are for the left side and the single is for the right side.

Assembly of the housing base requires 6 parts:

Base-1
Bosses-2
Thick Washer-1
Clips-2

Keep your orientation correct as the following picture is viewed from below!!!!

1. Install left boss with 2 retaining clips. The boss is offset so be sure to intall it so that the boss is offset towards the BB.
2. Place thick washer on right boss and slide down so the pin recesses into the slot on the left boss.

Begin assembly of left lever.

Nylon washer is placed first with notch towards BB shell. Place the notched chrome washer so that 'sharp' edge is on the inside and the notches are above. Place thin washer. Edge of nylon washer must be aligned with edge of notch on notched washer

Install left lever and washers. Thin metal metal first, notched washer with sharp edge to the inside

Install small notched washer followed by chrome outer cover:

Begin assembly of right lever.

Install small metal washer:

Install lever followed by small metal washer on the inside and notched washer on top. Sharp edges of notched washer go to the outside:

Placement of small washer with tang. Fllow with placement od chrome cover and bolt:
Why are these photos out of focus and can I get them in focus. I am have started to disassemble the shifter on the right side only and could sure use some help!!
Nubra

Old 05-13-20, 10:20 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
THANKS so much for these directions. I am replacing a symmetric shifter for a friends bike and I didnt know they existed till I saw hers (it was not funcional at all, many pieces were missing).
This makes all the difference in the set up.
Cheers!

Originally Posted by Banzai
To set up the shifter correctly, you want to first set up the rear.

Then:

Shift the rear to the biggest cog.

Put the chain on the inner chainring in front.

Set the inner limit stop to the appropriate spot.

Pull the cable and secure.

Doing these steps sets the inner limit...and the innermost trim...with the chain at its innermost possibility. In other words, with the right arm fully pulled, the left is slid aft on the downtube, but is still laying flat. After you set up like this, after you un-pull or flatten the right arm to move the chain to successively smaller rear cogs, the left arm will move forward on the downtube and will pull cable to move the cage outboard as well.

And then vice versa.

It's really a neat system, and I'm kinda sorry they don't make them anymore.

Old 04-26-21, 06:41 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5938 Post(s)
Liked 3,660 Times in 2,158 Posts
Updating an old thread. I have a set of these that I'd like to use. This is a very useful.
Old 04-26-21, 09:18 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 447 Posts
As long as we're pumping new life into this old thread, I'll add a little tidbit.

These old Symmetry shifters combined with a top-pull FD are the hot-ticket for setting up a cable-driven suicide front shifter. I had purchased a cheap modern singlespeed and decided it needed more gears. With no braze-ons for anything and an oversized downtube, I tried this and it works really well. Clean and surprisingly more natural than I'd expected.

Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-26-21, 09:35 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
will ferrell voice with tranquilizer dart in his neck "you crazy. i like you, man, but ..hehe...you crazy"

(i kid, of course. it's a pretty clever set up)
Likes For thook:
Old 08-11-21, 10:20 AM
Prunesquallor

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 resto-modded to 1x11 townie, 1987 Bianchi Brava resto-modded to 1x11 fitness/events

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 17 Posts
Joined the forum so I could say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread over the years.

I'm rebuilding my old racing bike - 1984 Miyata 710 - and, you guessed it, the Symmetric Shifters needed replacing. I found a NOS pair, but they still needed 30+ year old grease cleaned out. This thread gave me the confidence to take them apart.
Likes For Prunesquallor:
Old 08-11-21, 10:39 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Prunesquallor
Joined the forum so I could say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread over the years.

I'm rebuilding my old racing bike - 1984 Miyata 710 - and, you guessed it, the Symmetric Shifters needed replacing. I found a NOS pair, but they still needed 30+ year old grease cleaned out. This thread gave me the confidence to take them apart.
Most importantly, were you successful in putting them back together?
Old 08-11-21, 11:02 AM
Prunesquallor

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 resto-modded to 1x11 townie, 1987 Bianchi Brava resto-modded to 1x11 fitness/events

It would appear so. No parts left over.

I haven’t road tested the bike yet, but it’s cabled up (no chain) and I’m seeing some of the behavior noted above:

Left shifter back (big chainring), right shifter pulled back (toward big sprocket), left shifter slides toward BB. Right shifter pushed forward, left shifter slides away from BB. If the left shifter is not bolted in tight, it will also rotate forward when the right shifter is pushed forward.

BTW, there was no plastic washer on the NOS shifter.
Likes For Prunesquallor:
Old 08-11-21, 12:06 PM
Prunesquallor

Originally Posted by tricky
Most importantly, were you successful in putting them back together?
Replied above👆
Old 08-17-23, 11:51 AM
VelocityVeteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make your own nylon washer for 20 cents

It's the future.
As a thank you for helping me put my shifter back together I wanted to share how I made the nylon washer which many seem to be missing, me included.

This is a step-by-step guide on how to modify a regular nylon/plastic washer, bought from a hardware store, to fit your Suntour Symmetric shifter. You'll find an illustration of the plastic washer in the exploded diagrams, which you can find in this thread.

I had originally snapped some nice pictures showing the process, but the forum wont allow me to include pictures or links as I'm new here. I'll do my best in words:

1. Buy a normal plastic washer from your favorite hardware store. A washer cost me 20 cents. The correct measurements are 11x16x2mm. The washer could be a tad slimmer, but 2mm is fine. Do not use anything slimmer than 1.5mm, as that won't be enough to remove the play. Anything over 2mm will be too thick, preventing proper assembly.

2. Place the washer in the recess of your shift lever. This is where it belongs. Notice that the notch in the recess prevents the washer from going all the way in. Using cutting pliers (or whatever you have available), cut off a notch-sized chunk from your washer.

3. Congratulations, you now have a fitting washer.

4. Install according to the exploded diagram which you can find posted earlier in this thread.

5. The play in the lever is now gone and the shifter should feel super duper smooth.

Last edited by VelocityVeteran; 08-17-23 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Add clariity
Old 08-22-23, 05:58 PM
retlaw53 
Bike wrench volunteer

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinFitz
You can thank Photobucket for the loss of the photos. The only thing I have saved is this exploded view of the Symmetric shifters. I found it while looking for info on rebuilding mine. Hope it helps!

This photo just saved me a lot of grief. Restoring a Nishiki Cresta which has the Symmetric shifters with Cyclone MII GT RD and Cyclone MII FD. The bike was siting outside before I picked it up last March and required a complete teardown.