Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Magazine Road Test Index - is there one?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 09:41 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts

Is there some index of road tests for old magazines like Bicycle Guide, Bicycling, Road Bike Action, etc.?

Forum member SpeedofLite graciously posts scans of magazines from the 1970's, 80's, etc.
Ideally I'd be able to think of a bike, look it up on the index, and the index tells me which magazine, month, year, wrote about the bike.
I could then try to purchase a copy of the magazine or article online and enjoy reading about the bike.

I used to be able to do this for motorcycles and cars. Is there something similar for bicycles?
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 08-30-23, 09:01 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Liked 3,638 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
Is there some index of road tests for old magazines like Bicycle Guide, Bicycling, Road Bike Action, etc.?

Forum member SpeedofLite graciously posts scans of magazines from the 1970's, 80's, etc.
Ideally I'd be able to think of a bike, look it up on the index, and the index tells me which magazine, month, year, wrote about the bike.
I could then try to purchase a copy of the magazine or article online and enjoy reading about the bike.

I used to be able to do this for motorcycles and cars. Is there something similar for bicycles?
Thanks for the compliment.

As far as I know, there is no index that covers all bikes reviewed in all cycling magazines that is available to the general public.
However, you can search BF C&V and check for articles about a specific bike 30+ years old by using Search Titles Only (enter Keyword; eg. Colnago) AND specify Threads Started By User (enter SpeedofLite)
Or you can broaden the search for all Road Test/Bike Review articles I've posted by entering "Road Test" in the Keywords section, but there must me a few hundred out there by now and I think they are organized by date which isn't all that helpful. Takes me about a minute to do it either way.

All Bicycling issues (1965 to present; incl predecessors American Cycling Newsletter, American Cycling, and Bicycling!) that are 30+ years old have been done and are updated monthly.
All Bike Worlds (1972-1980) have been done. Scanning of Bicycle Guide (1984? to 1998?; don't have all issues) is ongoing, currently at Aug 1988.
Bicycle Rider, Bicycle Sport, and Cyclist have yet to be started.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Last edited by SpeedofLite; 08-30-23 at 09:05 AM. Reason: provide more detail
Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 08-30-23, 09:40 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,980 Times in 2,291 Posts
Keep in mind that bicycle reviews by various magazines are often no more than an attempt to garner a bike company's future advertising budget. Especially when an ad is placed for the product under review on the page preceding or immediately following the 'review'.

I totally agree with the desire to read about one's own bike. For C&V, many of us might like the documentation to rebuild a bike closer to the original spec, etc. Maybe that's a reason for a forum like this to exist. Aren't many of us seeking warm fuzzies about our hobby and the specific bikes we ride. I do from time to time.

Component reviews are often equally vaguely complimentary.
Old 08-30-23, 09:45 AM
cyclic_eric

Thank you!
You helped jog my memory. Some libraries, and individual magazines used to publish an index of vehicles they they tested during the preceding year in their December issue. I imagine plenty of members here are motorcycle or auto enthusiasts, so others must know what I'm talking about.
In any case, what you have created is not easy to carry out, and much appreciated.
Old 08-30-23, 04:01 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Liked 681 Times in 142 Posts
The Universal Bike Review applies to any bicycle.
Old 08-30-23, 04:40 PM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,009 Posts
At one time there was the Reader’s Guide to Periodical literature.

no idea if it survived into the Internet era
Old 09-03-23, 09:17 PM
cyclic_eric

Originally Posted by repechage
At one time there was the Reader’s Guide to Periodical literature.

no idea if it survived into the Internet era
Reader's Guide! And I thought I was vintage. I don't think it survived the 90's.
jk

uh-oh... my wife says I'm mixing this up with the Reader's Digest.
Old 11-13-23, 12:05 PM
rider19

Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Most cycling periodicals are indexed across various academic databases. However, none of these indexes are complete.

Looking at one of the most comprehensive databases available:
There are only about 230 search results for Bicycle Guide articles, dating from 1984 through 1997, with entire volumes missing/omitted from the index.
Bicycling magazine's index, on the other hand, is fairly complete, starting in 1974 and comprising more than 14000 articles/entries.

Just let me know what you're looking for and I'll send you the search results in the form of bibliographic records. Happy to help anyone interested.
Likes For rider19: