Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

An Eroica CA 2023 thread with no complaining about the organization

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

An Eroica CA 2023 thread with no complaining about the organization

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 02:16 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,151 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Classtime , the Motobecane GJ seems to have the most appropriate gearing , as long as the tires are right.
Tires: 27 x 1 1/4 Folding Pasela Protites and 35.4 gear inches. I might be able to pedal the whole way -- Last year I didn't walk on the Nova with Gravel King Slick 32s and 32.8 Gear inches.
Old 09-04-23, 02:21 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Tires: 27 x 1 1/4 Folding Pasela Protites and 35.4 gear inches. I might be able to pedal the whole way -- Last year I didn't walk on the Nova with Gravel King Slick 32s and 32.8 Gear inches.
Which route did you do on Nova last year? I signed up for the long route but i have a 1/2 A$$ Nova rig, not sure if I'll make it back before sun down with this set up. Still tweaking it today. Put in a brand net cockpit and it feels a bit better.

Thanks
Old 09-04-23, 04:37 PM
Classtime 

I did the long route with all three climbs. Your Bianchi is fine. Do the long route and you will know what's what for next year's EroicaCA. My Nova bike was a Milwaukee Road with 6700, dual pivots, and of course SPDs which make all the difference in the world between Saturday and Sunday.
Old 09-04-23, 07:36 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 2,223 Times in 576 Posts
@Kabuki12 Oh no, Joe! So sorry to hear about your fall. As you know, I’m sitting out this year, too. All my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Hope to see you next year. -Randy
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 09-04-23, 08:14 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
I may miss it this year, too. I've been dealing with a painful sacroiilac joint for about 3 months. PT and chiropractor have helped, but I haven't done a ride over about 20 miles without pain.

I was thinking that I might just suffer thru the short coastal ride, but today I tested positive for covid. I'm not having severe symptoms yet and will probably wait until early next week to decide, but I'm leaning towards staying home this year.
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 09-05-23, 03:44 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,309 Posts
Straightblock , we are dropping like flies! I’m still planning on going even though I can’t ride. I need a dose of bike frenzy! Plus you guys validate me. Gaucho777 , thank you for your kind words. I know you are in a lot of pain as well but we WILL get through this. The scars? They’re just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling ! Sail on Jimmy…..
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-05-23, 11:16 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked 2,081 Times in 749 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Dinner either on hold or sold out, seems like there were logistic issues.

Seattle friend should just show up and ride, nothing really stopping anyone from doing so, probably figure it out once they get there.

Except that I used to be the coordinator for Amerivespa, the nation's largest annual gathering of vintage Vespa (and Lambrettas). Putting on a show involved renting locations, insurance, printing costs, etc.

Every year people would just show up and argue, "hey, the streets are public" and participate without registration.

I can't argue with the "streets are public" statement, but if everyone paid their way, maybe events like Eroica CA wouldn't be so mis-managed.

Robert
Old 09-05-23, 11:51 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Liked 6,558 Times in 3,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Except that I used to be the coordinator for Amerivespa, the nation's largest annual gathering of vintage Vespa (and Lambrettas). Putting on a show involved renting locations, insurance, printing costs, etc.

Every year people would just show up and argue, "hey, the streets are public" and participate without registration.

I can't argue with the "streets are public" statement, but if everyone paid their way, maybe events like Eroica CA wouldn't be so mis-managed.

Robert
Understood and agreed but that's not the reason, they don't think its worth it to support since we don't turn out by the 1000's like they do in Europe where they have amazing support from every direction that makes their job easy, no brainer.

not that widespread at all and Eroica's mismanagement of the US version compared to the rock star experience they seem to be able to provide in Europe has left a very bad taste in the mouth of most.

I paid for mine and don't think it is anywhere near worth it.

Last year poor to no support aside from volunteer that took it on themselves with the same already planned for this year with little or no help from Eroica.

This year no show or concourse so once again we get to pay for the privilege of doing it ourselves, impromptu show, swap, whatever.

Not the event we all hoped for and supported in the beginning that has now become avoided by many.
Old 09-05-23, 01:55 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
E'roica cali and UK

Understood and agreed but that's not the reason, they don't think its worth it to support since we don't turn out by the 1000's like they do in Europe where they have amazing support from every direction that makes their job easy, no brainer.

not that widespread at all and Eroica's mismanagement of the US version compared to the rock star experience they seem to be able to provide in Europe has left a very bad taste in the mouth of most.

I paid for mine and don't think it is anywhere near worth it.

Last year poor to no support aside from volunteer that took it on themselves with the same already planned for this year with little or no help from Eroica.

This year no show or concourse so once again we get to pay for the privilege of doing it ourselves, impromptu show, swap, whatever.

Not the event we all hoped for and supported in the beginning that has now become avoided by many.

I thought i had read or understood that a "New Management" had taken over E'roica Cali, and that is how the swap meet was back on, also on the Webpage they are showing the Lighthouse as a stop for refreshments, and that had been in questions due to admin issues... so i think we have to suck it and see.. i have also observed there is nothing anywhere about the Linns farm evening on the Friday all that is listed is a Friday Sunset ride, so i'm not sure if that means the food is on or not.. im off to look for the other E'roica post to see if anyone has posted further details there.

As far as the Italian support, they screwed up the E'roica Britannica and it isn't on this year, they moved it to the South of England to Goodwood, and then a few weeks before the event it was all cancelled, a few British cyclists posts i have read seem to wonder if it was Goodwoods fault, i think based on the Italian factor it is likely piss poor preparation PPP Promotes Poor Participation PPP-PPP.
Old 09-05-23, 02:09 PM
NorcalGuzzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Robert
New forum user, so I can't "like". So here is a replied like. I have read about the lack of/mismanagement. If I go this year (very likely) I'll keep low expectations and aim for glass half full attitude....and self reliance.

I also can't post the for sale forum. But I am looking for a deal on a registration if someone cannot go. My phone number is in a post above.

Bike is ready with stupid low gears, new tires, good brakes...and my training? Only short rides on flat ground....

Cheers Scott
Likes For NorcalGuzzi:
Old 09-05-23, 02:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Gary12000
I thought i had read or understood that a "New Management" had taken over E'roica Cali, and that is how the swap meet was back on, also on the Webpage they are showing the Lighthouse as a stop for refreshments, and that had been in questions due to admin issues... so i think we have to suck it and see.. i have also observed there is nothing anywhere about the Linns farm evening on the Friday all that is listed is a Friday Sunset ride, so i'm not sure if that means the food is on or not.. im off to look for the other E'roica post to see if anyone has posted further details there.

As far as the Italian support, they screwed up the E'roica Britannica and it isn't on this year, they moved it to the South of England to Goodwood, and then a few weeks before the event it was all cancelled, a few British cyclists posts i have read seem to wonder if it was Goodwoods fault, i think based on the Italian factor it is likely piss poor preparation PPP Promotes Poor Participation PPP-PPP.
The only thing that is certain is that it is "clear as mud".

Yes, going to suck it up and see, better than nothing maybe but a far cry from the great experience in SLO 2017.
Old 09-05-23, 02:16 PM
merziac

Robert
And it was a bit tongue in cheek as well but at the end of the day we're a cheap lot, so.....
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-05-23, 02:51 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Hmmmm

And it was a bit tongue in cheek as well but at the end of the day we're a cheap lot, so.....
I am from the UK, so grew up observing Scooter enthusiasm, i rode a brand new one once, a buddy had just bought it... lets just say it was a different experience than the motorcycle i was used to..
i like em all though.. if its got two wheels i'm interested.. England has a rich history in cheap transportation, from the micro cars after the 2nd WW to the Reliant Robin.. motorcycles with sidecars, heck my mother insists that the family transportation after the war was two Tandems both with sidecars, and they would cycle 30 miles to go visit family, iv'e seen no pictorial evidence of such but it sounds feasible...
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 09-05-23, 07:41 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 2,650 Times in 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock
I may miss it this year, too. I've been dealing with a painful sacroiilac joint for about 3 months. PT and chiropractor have helped, but I haven't done a ride over about 20 miles without pain.

I was thinking that I might just suffer thru the short coastal ride, but today I tested positive for covid. I'm not having severe symptoms yet and will probably wait until early next week to decide, but I'm leaning towards staying home this year.
Straightblock , we are dropping like flies! I’m still planning on going even though I can’t ride. I need a dose of bike frenzy! Plus you guys validate me. Gaucho777 , thank you for your kind words. I know you are in a lot of pain as well but we WILL get through this. The scars? They’re just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling ! Sail on Jimmy…..
Geez, will you guys knock off this getting injured thing? I'm running out of people who will put up with riding with me.
Old 09-06-23, 11:19 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 303 Posts
I'm actually looking forward to this year's Eroica... Since the move to Cambria, things have gone sorta downhill (literally!) but I still enjoy the ride and seeing all the vintage bikes. Plus, that part of the coast is so gorgeous. Looking forward to all the good restaurants in town too, including Linn's, Madeline's, and Easy as Pie Cafe. You also have Hearst Castle and the elephant seal rookery just up the coast. I do miss Paso Robles and the early days of Eroica California, and am hoping this is a turnaround year. If not, oh well, I'll make the best of it. At the end of the day, it's all just first world problems!
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 09-06-23, 11:49 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked 2,081 Times in 749 Posts
does anybody have an actual phone number for an organizer??

Some portland co-ops, a frame builder and some friends were talking about a booth. Can't find anyone to call.

An email gets you a "how do you rate us" response.
Old 09-06-23, 02:02 PM
Classtime 

You could try these guys.
https://cyclecentralcoast.com/connect-with-us/
Old 09-06-23, 02:14 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Or even these guys (the local bike shop in Cambria):

https://velocambria.com/
Old 09-06-23, 02:50 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by Caliwild
I'm actually looking forward to this year's Eroica... Since the move to Cambria, things have gone sorta downhill (literally!) but I still enjoy the ride and seeing all the vintage bikes. Plus, that part of the coast is so gorgeous. Looking forward to all the good restaurants in town too, including Linn's, Madeline's, and Easy as Pie Cafe. You also have Hearst Castle and the elephant seal rookery just up the coast. I do miss Paso Robles and the early days of Eroica California, and am hoping this is a turnaround year. If not, oh well, I'll make the best of it. At the end of the day, it's all just first world problems!
Right Attitude!!! See ya there, Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-06-23, 03:25 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary12000
As far as the Italian support, they screwed up the E'roica Britannica and it isn't on this year, they moved it to the South of England to Goodwood,
I rode the first Eroica Britannia in 2014 and it was exceptionally well done with over 1900 riders participating! The next year I did not ride but participation had exploded and it was clear that the event had outgrown the venue in Bakewell. Clearly the event was well run and successful, a credit to the Brit team that was there on the ground running things. On the trajectory that it was EB on it could have eclipsed the Italian event in a couple of years! Then around 2017 something had changed, perhaps due to new ownership/sponsorship etc. After that Eroica was different, with many new event directors and less support from the parent organization. To put it mildly things went to $hit! Local event directors can and will do a great job if they are allowed to. Wes in California, Willy Mulonia at Hispania and the Brit's at EB have all proved that! Eroica CA will only be a success if the current ownership provides the needed support ($$$) and that seems unlikely to me.

Go for the great scenery and the people you will meet, but don't expect anything else. And bring your own food and water!!!
Old 09-08-23, 12:16 PM
tmnguuyen 

With less than 10 days until the ride, I'm posting some 'optimistic' info. 10 days outlook on the weather shows the highs will be tolerable.
Old 09-08-23, 04:15 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 2,650 Times in 1,107 Posts
And those ^^^ are Paso Robles numbers. Cambria looks to have high/lows of 67/58 on Saturday and 69/57 on Sunday. It doesn't get much better than that. Oh, for you (us) Piedro Blancos riders, a very light but increasing headwind heading out, turning around about when it gets to be noticeable, and a lovey 10 or mph tailwind back to town.

For anyone headed to Paso and environs, a westerly wind will start low (2mph) when you start and slowly build all day to 10 or 12 mph, sayeth the prognosticators. So when you are struggling up back over the hills toward Cambria, you should get a nice breeze. Whether it is more cooling help than headwindy unpleasantness remains to be seen.
Old 09-08-23, 04:47 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
And those ^^^ are Paso Robles numbers. Cambria looks to have high/lows of 67/58 on Saturday and 69/57 on Sunday. It doesn't get much better than that. Oh, for you (us) Piedro Blancos riders, a very light but increasing headwind heading out, turning around about when it gets to be noticeable, and a lovey 10 or mph tailwind back to town.

For anyone headed to Paso and environs, a westerly wind will start low (2mph) when you start and slowly build all day to 10 or 12 mph, sayeth the prognosticators. So when you are struggling up back over the hills toward Cambria, you should get a nice breeze. Whether it is more cooling help than headwindy unpleasantness remains to be seen.
I think the wind will provide cooling to make it pleasant as the climbs will be slow then become a PITA once we get to the bottom of the hills heading back into town.
Old 09-09-23, 08:22 AM
Kabuki12

I woke up this morning and made coffee, very little pain now , just discomfort. The walker only lasted a day or so , I decided Mom’s old cane was much more convenient. It’s been a week since my surgery and every day gets better. I use a cane but I can walk without it . The fall and subsequent injury has messed with my head. I dreamed I was riding a carbon bike NOOOO!! Gotta get back on a bike but Dr. says it will be a while . Maybe I can wrench on sumthin. I got a nice Medici I’ve been working on. God , I need this event , can’t wait. In a week I will be in C&V heaven.
Old 09-09-23, 09:50 AM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
The fall and subsequent injury has messed with my head. I dreamed I was riding a carbon bike NOOOO!!
Dream or nightmare?
Likes For Straightblock:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.