Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adding a second bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Adding a second bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-23, 09:36 PM
Yanto

Bikes: Giant Escape RX, Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Adding a second bike

I’ve recently in the last 6 months got back into cycling. We emigrated in November 2021 from the Uk to Thailand.
I basically only cycle to lose weight and try to gain some level of fitness. I’m 63 and due to hip problems my weight had increased to 99kg. After initially walking for exercise, I was asked my my wife’s uncle to go cycling with him around a nearby lake. As I had no bike here of my own, he loaned me his old mountain bike. I found that I enjoyed it so much that I bought a used Giant Escape RX hybrid.
I go out 5 mornings every week, at 5.30am, and do 30km rides around the lake on almost flat tarmac roads. My weight has now fallen to 80kg. And ideally I’d like to get to 78kg. I’m 5ft 11”.
Although the weather here is hot and dry, we do have a lot of rain too, at this time of year. I don’t go out during heavy rain and thunderstorms but I do go when the roads are very wet, and as I have tread less tyres on my Giant it can get a little slippery in corners etc. I appreciate that I could just change the tyres on this bike, but I’m thinking of getting a second bike that I can maybe just use in wet conditions. I also want something different to the hybrid that I already have.
So my question is, what would you far more experienced riders recommend please in terms of style of bike? I’ll still only be riding the same lake route on smooth tarmac roads. Mountain bike? Single Speed? Road bike with wet weather tyres?
Thanks in advance
Old 09-13-23, 09:40 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 1,679 Times in 1,079 Posts
A Giant Escape RX hybrid sounds like an excellent bike. What about getting another wheel set?
Old 09-13-23, 09:48 PM
Yanto

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
A Giant Escape RX hybrid sounds like an excellent bike. What about getting another wheel set?
I do really enjoy riding the Giant. It’s comfortable, reasonably light, and quite quick (or at least it would be with a better rider on it!). It does seem like the ideal bike for my use.
If I bought another set of wheels and tyres, would I need a cassette too? I’m useless mechanically so I honestly don’t know if I can swap the existing one easily?
Or should I just buy tyres and change them over for the 4 months where conditions can be very wet, then change back to the treadless for the hot and dry months?
I know buying another bike for this reason seems a waste of money, so I’m open to the best solution that allows me to keep riding safely
Thanks for the help
Old 09-13-23, 11:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 991 Posts
Tread on your tires does not help on a bicycle the same way that it helps on a car. The rubber compound of your tires determines how much grip your tires have on wet roads.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-13-23, 11:07 PM
Yanto

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Tread on your tires does not help on a bicycle the same way that it helps on a car. The rubber compound of your tires determines how much grip your tires have on wet roads.
Learn something new every day. Thanks very much. So which compounds are best for wet tarmac roads please?
Old 09-13-23, 11:21 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 254 Posts
Since you don't really go anywhere, get a steel 3 speed bike with fenders. Nothing is simpler to ride.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 09-13-23, 11:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 1,679 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Yanto
...would I need a cassette too? ...
Yes... And that's the beauty of it. I have two wheel sets for one of my bicycles which uses 27" wheels and has caliper brakes.. Both wheel sets have the same rims and spokes. One wheel set is for well paved roads and the other set for Ravel. They both have similar rims and spokes. One set uses Kenda 184 1-3/8 tires with a Shimano 6 speed 14-34. The other has Kenda K35 27 1-1/8 using a Shimano 6 speed 14-28. I use friction shifters with long cage derailleurs and do not have to make any adjustments when switching the wheel sets out. You might think two sets of tires with only 1/4" width as a difference between them is not that much... But Ha it is.

So you are looking for a second wheel set just like the one you currently have only with different tires. Its like getting a second bicycle and much cheaper. There is allot of advantage in having a not so technically expensive bicycle with proprietary components that require precision assembly and maintenance. Here you have a second bike with the simple manipulation of the Quick Releases, Chain and Derailleur. Yep...

Do note I will soon be replacing the Kenda K35s with Continental Ride Tours (my preferred tire) if I can find them. The Kenda 184 1-3/8 have been perfect for Ravel.
Old 09-14-23, 12:18 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Liked 99 Times in 62 Posts
I’ve recently in the last 6 months got back into cycling. We emigrated in November 2021 from the Uk to Thailand.
I basically only cycle to lose weight and try to gain some level of fitness. I’m 63 and due to hip problems my weight had increased to 99kg. After initially walking for exercise, I was asked my my wife’s uncle to go cycling with him around a nearby lake. As I had no bike here of my own, he loaned me his old mountain bike. I found that I enjoyed it so much that I bought a used Giant Escape RX hybrid.
I go out 5 mornings every week, at 5.30am, and do 30km rides around the lake on almost flat tarmac roads. My weight has now fallen to 80kg. And ideally I’d like to get to 78kg. I’m 5ft 11”.
Although the weather here is hot and dry, we do have a lot of rain too, at this time of year. I don’t go out during heavy rain and thunderstorms but I do go when the roads are very wet, and as I have tread less tyres on my Giant it can get a little slippery in corners etc. I appreciate that I could just change the tyres on this bike, but I’m thinking of getting a second bike that I can maybe just use in wet conditions. I also want something different to the hybrid that I already have.
So my question is, what would you far more experienced riders recommend please in terms of style of bike? I’ll still only be riding the same lake route on smooth tarmac roads. Mountain bike? Single Speed? Road bike with wet weather tyres?
Thanks in advance
Greetings from Thailand. Good tires are key here, and of course being careful on wet roads especially at any curves. Inspect the tires carefully, and purchasing new tires here is easy. Comfort on the bike is important too, so if the bike fits a second bike is not necessary. Have fun, and stay safe.
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 09-14-23, 12:25 AM
Yanto

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumpski
Greetings from Thailand. Good tires are key here, and of course being careful on wet roads especially at any curves. Inspect the tires carefully, and purchasing new tires here is easy. Comfort on the bike is important too, so if the bike fits a second bike is not necessary. Have fun, and stay safe.
Hey, and thanks for the welcome. Settling in slowly.
Any recommendations re tyres would be greatly appreciated. The bike fits me perfectly to be honest. The wet weather issue is the only one that I’ve encountered so far. Very happy with it apart from that. Thanks for the reply

Last edited by Yanto; 09-14-23 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-14-23, 03:18 AM
Yanto

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Since you don't really go anywhere, get a steel 3 speed bike with fenders. Nothing is simpler to ride.
Thanks for the reply. 150km per week is a lot! For me that is 😂
Old 09-14-23, 04:56 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked 5,108 Times in 3,153 Posts
Learn something new every day. Thanks very much. So which compounds are best for wet tarmac roads please?
What he said was true. On smooth roads tread blocks are not helpful at all. Off-road is a different matter, but you are only riding on smooth tarmac right?

Pirelli Cinturato Velos are very grippy tyres in wet or dry conditions. Just get the widest that will fit your bike (they go up to 35 mm I think).
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-14-23, 05:19 AM
Yanto

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
What he said was true. On smooth roads tread blocks are not helpful at all. Off-road is a different matter, but you are only riding on smooth tarmac right?

Pirelli Cinturato Velos are very grippy tyres in wet or dry conditions. Just get the widest that will fit your bike (they go up to 35 mm I think).
I don’t doubt it for one minute. Like I said, learning something new. Yes only riding on smooth tarmac roads.
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll see if I can find them over here. I know that 32’s fit my rims.
Old 09-14-23, 05:48 AM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 991 Posts
I don’t doubt it for one minute. Like I said, learning something new. Yes only riding on smooth tarmac roads.
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll see if I can find them over here. I know that 32’s fit my rims.
Any rim will accept a range of tire widths. Is 700 x 32 your current tire width? What brand of tire do you currently have? In general, tires with softer rubber compounds and high thread count casings grip better in wet conditions with the downside that they wear out faster and tend to cost more
Old 09-14-23, 06:12 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked 5,108 Times in 3,153 Posts
You can get the Pirelli Cinturatos in 32 mm. So that would be a safe option. The limiting factor for tyre width is frame clearance. 32 mm is fine for smooth tarmac anyway. I have these tyres on my spare road bike and they offer a good balance of grip, comfort, puncture resistance and speed. I've used them in very wet conditions without any issues.
Old 09-14-23, 02:36 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
My wet weather bike has a belt drive, fenders and solid tyres. It gets no maintenance from me at all, is always ready and is my most ridden bike, if not my fastest or most comfortable.
Old 09-14-23, 03:22 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Tire pressure plays a big role as well. Lower pressure = bigger contact patch = better traction. Most important other thing for a "rain bike" is good fenders.
Old 09-14-23, 09:54 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 230 Posts
Thanks in advance
Greetings and Sawasdee
It's still pretty dark at 5:30am. Do you have lights? A second bike, most aptly called my "rain bike", is a real good idea. I would get wider tires for better contact with the road and also fenders that hang very low on both tires. Maybe just 5-7cm off the ground to keep the water off of you and your bike.
I ride mostly at Nong Bon and Rama IX Park in eastern Bangkok as my house is nearby. Occasionally I ride out at Happy & Healthy Bike Lane for something a bit different.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-14-23, 10:22 PM
Yanto

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Greetings and Sawasdee
It's still pretty dark at 5:30am. Do you have lights? A second bike, most aptly called my "rain bike", is a real good idea. I would get wider tires for better contact with the road and also fenders that hang very low on both tires. Maybe just 5-7cm off the ground to keep the water off of you and your bike.
I ride mostly at Nong Bon and Rama IX Park in eastern Bangkok as my house is nearby. Occasionally I ride out at Happy & Healthy Bike Lane for something a bit different.
Sawadeekrab and Khawpkhun!
It definitely is getting lighter a little later here too now. I’d say the last few days, because it’s been dull and raining, I’ve not left home until around 05.50am. It’s light enough then not to need lights. I’m in Isaan by the way, RoiEt province.
The lake that I ride around is 1km from our house, along a quiet country tarmac road. It’s extremely quiet. I’m lucky if I see 2 or 3 people and half a dozen cows while I’m out!
I have been considering a single speed bike for the rides and have seen one that looks quite nice at a very cheap price. It would need better tyres and mudguards fitted. Otherwise the option of just buying another pair of tyres for the rainy season might be a good one and just stick with my Giant. Maybe some 32’s instead of the 28’s currently fitted?
Do you have any recommendations re tyre brand/model and where to actually purchase over here please? Thanks again for the reply
Old 09-14-23, 10:54 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 230 Posts
I would say that ordering through Amazon would be the easiest since you are in RoiEt. There are a number of bike shops in Bangkok. Probike is probably the best known as it's been there for over 25 years. Running 32's or 35's with a little less tire pressure would be better in the rain.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-14-23, 11:01 PM
Yanto

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I would say that ordering through Amazon would be the easiest since you are in RoiEt. There are a number of bike shops in Bangkok. Probike is probably the best known as it's been there for over 25 years. Running 32's or 35's with a little less tire pressure would be better in the rain.
There’s actually a bike shop in RoiEt city which stocks some very expensive gear. Really surprised to see that here. I believe it has a service centre too, so hopefully will stock and sell parts and accessories. I’ll have a drive over there first and see what’s available.
Likes For Yanto: