Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

derailleur issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

derailleur issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 07:12 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
derailleur issues

drive train issue
rear derailleur problem
the other day my hanger broke
i just replaced it
however on screwing in my derailleur
the pulleys rub on the cogs still
derailleur doesn't seem to want to spring all way in position
what is wrong
i provided photos
Old 09-14-23, 09:46 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 3,604 Times in 1,250 Posts
Can’t help you and not really sure what the problem is or what’s being pictured, but I’ll be the first to say it: That looks disgusting.
Old 09-14-23, 10:03 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 770 Times in 557 Posts
B-screw is not seated onto the stop on the hanger.
you didn't get it in place before tightening the derailleur pivot/mount bolt.
there's a high chance that the b-screw is now bent... it's also screwed in beyond a normal range.
let me guess... you have a larger low gear cassette that demands the B=screw be cranked all the way in to get the jockey roller to not clash with the low gear.

remove the der from the hanger.. CLEAN THE POOR THING., then Barely start the Der. mount bolt threads into the hanger, Pivot The Der to the Rear so that the B-screw can seat ON the stop tab of your new hanger... NOW tighten the der.mount bolt while holding the der. in that rearward position........
The B-screw should now be properly seated on the stop tab on the hanger... unless it's bent.

... sometimes they break when people straighten them.

ummmm... is that a crack running across the der's upper knuckle, in line with the head of that pesky B-screw? can't really tell thru all that grime............................

Last edited by maddog34; 09-14-23 at 10:10 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 09-15-23, 01:04 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,959 Times in 1,640 Posts
+1

You trapped the B-screw below the stop tab, rather than having it engage behind the tab where it belongs.

Odds are you're still OK, but DO NOT pull the RD back now. Instead, remove it then holding it back against spring tension guide it into the correct position and tighten the mounting bolt.

Note, the B-screw threads seem to be damaged. However that's not going to be an issue unless you try to back the screw to where the damaged area enters the RD body.

So, take it slow, work with both eyes open, and some touch, knowing that things go together smoothly. If you feel you're forcing anything, STOP and figure out why.

As for the cleanliness comments, yeah, but that's not your specific problem. And dirt bikes get dirty if you take them out into the dirt.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-15-23, 06:40 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
​​​​​​