Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for options for crankset/derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 06:25 PM
bmanpgh

Bikes: 1995 Trek Multitrack 720; 2011 Trek Multitrack 7300

Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

I'm just learning a lot of this stuff and I seem to have backed myself into a bit of a corner.

I have a 1995 Trek 720 (Bikepedia page). The problem is, until today, I thought I had a 1997 Trek 720 (Bikepedia page).

The 1995 has a 24/32/38 crankset that I needed to replace but I thought I had a 1997 and, instead of counting the teeth, I ordered a 24/34/42 crankset (yeah, dumb move).

The rest of the drive chain:
  • Grip Shift MRX-100
  • 7-speed, 11 - 28 teeth
  • Shimano Altus C90, bottom-pull (it was bracket mount but bikepedia says clamp-on 28.6 mm)
  • Shimano AceraX 7-speed (not sure that matters, but adding it in case)

What I have now is a Shimano Tourney TY501 6/7/8-Speed 170mm 24/34/42t.
Since the derailleur was bracket mount, it does not have the clearance to go with this crankset.
I can't seem to find a 38/32/24t crankset and the old one is not useable.
I do not want to get into buying new shifters and upgrading the entire drivetrain

So I'm wondering if any of the following options are feasible:
Or any other ideas. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 09-15-23, 06:29 PM
brokewheelspoke

Bikes: Yes

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Big fan of tossing out those triples and front derailleurs and replacing with 1x. But you'll usually need to replace the bottom bracket with a shorter spindle to get the chainline right.
Likes For brokewheelspoke:
Old 09-15-23, 06:53 PM
bmanpgh

Originally Posted by brokewheelspoke
Big fan of tossing out those triples and front derailleurs and replacing with 1x. But you'll usually need to replace the bottom bracket with a shorter spindle to get the chainline right.
Thanks - I didn't even think of that! That's the trouble I'm finding with this stuff -- change one thing and you have to change another, which makes you change something else, and so-on and so-on.
Likes For bmanpgh:
Old 09-15-23, 07:26 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 776 Times in 562 Posts
the "bracket derailleur" (e-type mount? a plate behind the bottom bracket?) should have adjustment range to handle a 42 big chainring since that is what most of them are used with. there is very little difference in overall diameter.

that rear Cassette won't have enough range to make you happy ..

the only real issue should be that the chain will possibly be a couple links too short to use a big/big combo when you install the 24-34-42 crankset, but will work in all the other gear combos.

Last edited by maddog34; 09-15-23 at 07:58 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 09-15-23, 08:24 PM
bmanpgh

Originally Posted by maddog34
the "bracket derailleur" (e-type mount? a plate behind the bottom bracket?) should have adjustment range to handle a 42 big chainring since that is what most of them are used with. there is very little difference in overall diameter.
I did a search and I think I see what you mean but this is not that. This attaches to the bike between the bottom bracket shell and the crank. It looks like this:

I have a new chain that has some extra length so I think that will be OK.

I eventually might want to upgrade the rear but certainly didn't want to get too into things now.

Last edited by bmanpgh; 09-15-23 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-15-23, 08:39 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by bmanpgh
I did a search and I think I see what you mean but this is not that. This attaches to the bike between the bottom bracket shell and the crank. It looks like this:

I have a new chain that has some extra length so I think that will be OK.

I eventually might want to upgrade the rear but certainly didn't want to get too into things now.
that's the bracket-behind-the-BB type.. there should be slots in the derailler that allow height adjustments... you want @ 2mm between the top of the sprocket teeth and the der. Cage AS IT PASSES OVER the big chainring...
Old 09-15-23, 08:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Liked 1,056 Times in 743 Posts
If its the factory crankset check the back to see if its a CT90, should be. If so, walk into the lbs with this page https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...12-cranks.html and collect your new crank, BB, front der and chain. Arrival time may take 1-3 weeks depending on the shop. Note in the site, shimano pays the install. Though I usually just bring in the cranks and get my box o parts.

that rear Cassette won't have enough range to make you happy ..
the only real issue should be that the chain will possibly be a couple links too short to use a big/big combo when you install the 24-34-42 crankset, but will work in all the other gear combos.
Original e-type, doesn't have that option.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 09-15-23, 08:56 PM
maddog34

[QUOTE=Russ Roth;23016961]If its the factory crankset check the back to see if its a CT90, should be. If so, walk into the lbs with this page https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...12-cranks.html and collect your new crank, BB, front der and chain. Arrival time may take 1-3 weeks depending on the shop. Note in the site, shimano pays the install. Though I usually just bring in the cranks and get my box o parts.

Thank you for the Recall info.. i run across quite a few of these cranksets.

i believe someone here posted about an MC12 just recently!
i've written those part codes on the whiteboard for reference.. thanks again!
now i need to go dig thru my "salvaged cranks" binS..... sigh.
Old 09-15-23, 09:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Thank you for the Recall info.. i run across quite a few of these cranksets.

i believe someone here posted about an MC12 just recently!
i've written those part codes on the whiteboard for reference.. thanks again!
now i need to go dig thru my "salvaged cranks" binS..... sigh.
Did dozens of these back in the day, eventually had to put a tag on the bench as they got scarcer but I still find them to turn in from time to time. Amazing how many shops now have no clue but there's still a ton of these cranks running around.
Old 09-15-23, 09:05 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Did dozens of these back in the day, eventually had to put a tag on the bench as they got scarcer but I still find them to turn in from time to time. Amazing how many shops now have no clue but there's still a ton of these cranks running around.
Kind of like the "Close TOO Far" Quick releases... i'm still finding those buggers...
Old 09-15-23, 09:34 PM
bmanpgh

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
If its the factory crankset check the back to see if its a CT90, should be. If so, walk into the lbs with this page https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...12-cranks.html and collect your new crank, BB, front der and chain. Arrival time may take 1-3 weeks depending on the shop. Note in the site, shimano pays the install. Though I usually just bring in the cranks and get my box o parts.
Damn, I just bought all of those things. I checked and it is a CT90. I banged up the cranks pretty bad getting them off -- I wonder if that will make a difference.

What front derailleur do they replace it with at this point?
Old 09-16-23, 12:45 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by bmanpgh
Damn, I just bought all of those things. I checked and it is a CT90. I banged up the cranks pretty bad getting them off -- I wonder if that will make a difference.

What front derailleur do they replace it with at this point?
Shouldn't make a difference being banged up, my last set was an altus crank and front der. The front I got had band shims to fit different diameters, top and bottom pull and top swing.
Likes For Russ Roth: