Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pondering what to use a Superbe Pro groupset on

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pondering what to use a Superbe Pro groupset on

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-23, 09:36 AM
abdon 

Liked 646 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
In the Long Ago, back when Dinosaurs rode the Earth and Before "Groupsets" existed, Huret dropouts meant a Huret Rear Derailleur, Simplex Dropouts required a Simplex Rear Derailleur, and Campagnolo GS dropouts a Campagnolo rear derailer... Huret shifter posts meant Huret downtube shifters. Cinelli stem meant Cinelli bars. And French anything meant Insanity, albeit French Insanity which may be difficult to discern from French Normality.

What the Factory specified could change daily and Catalogs made note of this: ask Gitane in the early 1970's. However, a Tdf would not leave the Factory with a Campagnolo RD on a Simplex hanger Because it was physically impossible and would not function.

The precedent of hanging bits which matched the bicycle's integrated hardware was set long before "Gruppos."

But suit yourself.

Don't Know, Don't care, Doesn't Matter.
That may be so but the time period for these is long after the dinosaur extinction. Whatever the bike could be ordered from the dealer with can be considered canon.
Old 09-18-23, 10:06 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Liked 905 Times in 485 Posts
Where We Find Ourselves In A Nutshell

Originally Posted by abdon
That may be so but the time period for these is long after the dinosaur extinction. Whatever the bike could be ordered from the dealer with can be considered canon.
Defenestrate Precedent, accept that some dealer somewhere can be paid enough to put anything on anything, and "Canon" is Meaningless.
Old 09-18-23, 10:09 AM
abdon 

Defenestrate Precedent, accept that some dealer somewhere can be paid enough to put anything on anything, and "Canon" is Meaningless.
Notice how I started that post with if you want to be a purist. That means that a bike is correct if the dealer delivered that way. If you care for that "if", you care about canon. If you don't (I'm not all that big into it myself), then yes it is meaningless.
Old 09-18-23, 10:45 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Liked 905 Times in 485 Posts
Specious

Notice how I started that post with if you want to be a purist. That means that a bike is correct if the dealer delivered that way. If you care for that "if", you care about canon. If you don't (I'm not all that big into it myself), then yes it is meaningless.
<sigh emoji>

Equating "being a purist" with "how the dealer delivered it" is facetious, ludicrous, and illogical. Also, silly. If a dealer delivered a bare frame by your way of thinking a purist would always keep it an unadorned frame? That mode of thought doesn't lead anywhere interesting.

If a framebuilder or designer specifies a certain type of dropout it can be a touchstone.

The 1973-ishy Carabela Pro sitting here has first generation Shimano Dura-Ace dropouts, so no Campagnolo on what is essentially a Cinelli "B." It has all first generation DA now, but is likely to have 7v mid range maybe RSX by Friday.
Not so much into "Purism" either.

However, do have an interesting frame of unknown provenance with Suntour GS DOs, so absent any other guide, will hang Suntour Superbe bits on it for fun Because why not?

You have a Superbe Pro group. Why not find a frame with Superbe Pro Dropouts?

(When you ain't got nothing else to go on, go on with what you got.)
Old 09-18-23, 10:51 AM
BMC_Kid 

Liked 548 Times in 214 Posts
As I was organizing things I came across my box with a complete generation 2 Suntour Superbe Pro groupset. I even have the wheelset with the Superbe hubs for it. I think this was introduced in 1984. I currently don't have a frame to build up so I'm wondering what I should keep an eye out for. I like Fuji frames but they just feel more correct with Shimano.
8-speed Superbe Pro sure looked nice on my Zullo.

The group recently found a new home north of me in Austin.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 09-18-23, 10:53 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,325 Times in 2,001 Posts
You have a Superbe Pro group. Why not find a frame with Superbe Pro Dropouts?
I admit to being slightly tickled hanging full Dura Ace kit on my Paramount with Shimano dropouts.

Gotta agree—if the OP doesn’t have a particular frame in mind, I’d be on the lookout for something with Superbe Pro dropouts.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-18-23, 10:54 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,325 Times in 2,001 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
8-speed Superbe Pro sure looked nice on my Zullo.

That’s a beautiful bike.
Old 09-18-23, 11:05 AM
abdon 

<sigh emoji>

Equating "being a purist" with "how the dealer delivered it" is facetious, ludicrous, and illogical. Also, silly. If a dealer delivered a bare frame by your way of thinking a purist would always keep it an unadorned frame? That mode of thought doesn't lead anywhere interesting.
This is not a hard concept to grasp. For example, back in the 70's Schwinn Paramounts could be delivered with Weinnmann centerpulls or Campagnolo brakes. Either configuration is considered correct. If another bike has either period incorrect components or Shimano brakes, well that could be a gorgeous bike but it would no longer be a factory spec nor a stock restoration. If you can order a frame to do whatever you wanted with it, then yes, it would be whatever you wanted it to be.

I'm not a purist so I'm not hell bent on doing any sort of factory specification bike.
Old 09-18-23, 11:21 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Liked 2,189 Times in 1,191 Posts
The Univega Competizione also came with Superbe groupset. In fact I am replacing the (partial) Superbe groupset off of mine with Shimano 600 now. I know - I feel bad for doing that, but I don't like friction shifting.The Superbe components have a really lithe and delicate look and feel.
Old 09-18-23, 11:36 AM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Liked 135 Times in 79 Posts
Japanese built frame, Specialized Allez SE.
Likes For BradH:
Old 09-18-23, 11:59 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by BradH
Japanese built frame, Specialized Allez SE.
My understanding from the buyer is that the SP group I sold will find its new home on a 3RENSHO made Allez.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 09-18-23, 12:05 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The Univega Competizione also came with Superbe groupset. In fact I am replacing the (partial) Superbe groupset off of mine with Shimano 600 now. I know - I feel bad for doing that, but I don't like friction shifting.The Superbe components have a really lithe and delicate look and feel.
I have this bike and the 6-speed SP group is very nice, better than 600. That’s it in the back right at home with my other Miyatas.

Old 09-18-23, 12:09 PM
chain_whipped

Liked 555 Times in 274 Posts
Groupsets were for the elite.
Back then, a non sponsored rider scrutinized every component and budget permitting, regardless of brand. For myself, took time to save up.

Purchased in 1982 a brand new Colnago Super frameset. I selected Superbe Pro for derailleurs, Modolo Professional brakeset, Campagnolo Record chainset with matched taper bottom bracket, ally Stronglight A9 (think) headset, Campy Record pedals, Cinelli cockpit with black pantographed stem, race day wheelset Campagnolo Record hubs w/ Galli tubulars. I lusted for the panto Colnago Campagnolo shifters but couldn't mentally justify the price in them. But, one day the shop owner gave me a nice discount for those cool shifters plus a team Del Tongo water bottle.

Awesome days ~
Old 09-18-23, 02:44 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,327 Times in 1,162 Posts
1984/5 Trek 760.
mine looks like crap but is a great competitor to the Montello (9x3 Racing T) and the DeRosa Professional (10x2 Record).

Currently using it @ Hilton Head Island while on vacation.
Old 09-18-23, 02:55 PM
abdon 

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Groupsets were for the elite.
Back then, a non sponsored rider scrutinized every component and budget permitting, regardless of brand. For myself, took time to save up.

Purchased in 1982 a brand new Colnago Super frameset. I selected Superbe Pro for derailleurs, Modolo Professional brakeset, Campagnolo Record chainset with matched taper bottom bracket, ally Stronglight A9 (think) headset, Campy Record pedals, Cinelli cockpit with black pantographed stem, race day wheelset Campagnolo Record hubs w/ Galli tubulars. I lusted for the panto Colnago Campagnolo shifters but couldn't mentally justify the price in them. But, one day the shop owner gave me a nice discount for those cool shifters plus a team Del Tongo water bottle.

Awesome days ~
My touring Trek 720 is like that. 80's frame, Shimano XT 135mm rear, SON dynamo hub front, My favorite derailleurs, Shimano XT M772, Sugino 48-38-28 triple, Sakae road champion touring handlebars, Dia compe brake levers/canti brakes, Suntour micro shift bar end shifters, and of course a Brooks saddle. I love that bike.
Likes For abdon:
Old 09-18-23, 06:44 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
3Rensho..... I drooled over them back in the day.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-18-23, 07:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,684 Times in 2,080 Posts
A Superbe Pro Group must grace a frame with Superbe Pro Dropouts, no?

from Velobase.

From.

Good Fortune With Your Quest!
Superbe Pro has a slightly shorter slot than the Superbe pictured on Velobase. Curiously, they also have "pads" that can be drilled and tapped for a Campagnolo "portacatena" device, although I've never seen any that have been modified that way:

Likes For JohnDThompson: