Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-23, 11:10 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5047 Post(s)
Liked 8,306 Times in 3,922 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
As an apparent Luddite, I am using this:

Besides one sparing drop per link, back peddling 15 times and then running over the cogs, wiping any excess and letting it dry over night, I’m relatively happy. If I had to wax my chain every 300 miles, it would be every week, which is nu bueno for a lazy person.
The SSS may not have the longevity of hot dip wax, but the ease of use and clean/quiet results make it a winner for me.
Old 09-29-23, 11:20 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 433 Posts
Bike chains and women are to be kept in the same condition.

Waxed and clean.

Too much?

Last edited by Jughed; 09-29-23 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-29-23, 07:16 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
FWIW: I had a chain that I thought was worn out this spring after a particularly nasty gravel ride. I went to the bike shop, they measured it at 0.6% wear (9sp) and suggested I see if I could get a little more use out of it. I figured I wouldn't be out much to put some canning wax in a jar and give wax a shot. I recall joking with the mechanic that I would see if I could get 2,000 more miles out of the chain before replacing it. I'm at 1,226 miles since then, still working at least as well as it was in April. I think I'll get the 2,000 miles that the mechanic laughed at.
You do realize that it's wearing out your cassette and chain rings and will probably not give you any problems for another 5000 miles, or at least until you go to put a new chain on and have to replace the cassette and maybe even the chain rings too.
Old 09-29-23, 07:25 PM
One Wheel

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
You do realize that it's wearing out your cassette and chain rings and will probably not give you any problems for another 5000 miles, or at least until you go to put a new chain on and have to replace the cassette and maybe even the chain rings too.
Very possibly. TBH I'm planning on riding this bike about another 3-5,000 miles before I replace it, so that doesn't bother me much. Cassette and chainrings look pretty good to me, though.
Likes For One Wheel:
Old 09-30-23, 10:00 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Not if it feels good for him.
I guess some people like riding a bucking bronco. To each their own.
Old 09-30-23, 01:28 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Very possibly. TBH I'm planning on riding this bike about another 3-5,000 miles before I replace it, so that doesn't bother me much. Cassette and chainrings look pretty good to me, though.
Then I would just ride it too.
Old 10-15-23, 06:34 PM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I've been waxing chains for more than 40 years now.
Old 10-15-23, 07:02 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
The last three weeks of cyclocross has given me a mixed appreciation of chain waxing. Each of them has downpours making them incredibly wet and muddy; the first week seized up a outboard shimano BB that was only 6 months old, the second week required me to pull the seals from my oldest's front king hub and regrease them, and yesterday I had to pour water out of all our rims and the bearings on my white industries front hub is definitely washed out and will require repacking. The waxed chains have gotten rusty by the time I got home each time but are easy to wipe off with no greasy mess, the cassettes are staying clean and don't require any effort and nothing is getting clogged with mud. I'm not certain any chain lube would hold up better to the wet, mud and drive through down pours, but the chain stays silent the whole time. Only negative is the extra time it takes to rewax the chains each time.

For clarity of the level of mess the wax has been dealing with, one of the days was slightly less muddy than this, and another was worse, this is probably the average of how its been.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 10-15-23, 07:06 PM
One Wheel

How is riding a bike in the mud supposed to be "fun"? I would love to try cyclocross if you can guarantee me a dry course.
Old 10-16-23, 03:09 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4548 Post(s)
Liked 5,060 Times in 3,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
The last three weeks of cyclocross has given me a mixed appreciation of chain waxing. Each of them has downpours making them incredibly wet and muddy; the first week seized up a outboard shimano BB that was only 6 months old, the second week required me to pull the seals from my oldest's front king hub and regrease them, and yesterday I had to pour water out of all our rims and the bearings on my white industries front hub is definitely washed out and will require repacking. The waxed chains have gotten rusty by the time I got home each time but are easy to wipe off with no greasy mess, the cassettes are staying clean and don't require any effort and nothing is getting clogged with mud. I'm not certain any chain lube would hold up better to the wet, mud and drive through down pours, but the chain stays silent the whole time. Only negative is the extra time it takes to rewax the chains each time.

For clarity of the level of mess the wax has been dealing with, one of the days was slightly less muddy than this, and another was worse, this is probably the average of how its been.
I would much rather be dealing with wax than oil when wet mud is involved.

It also backs up my experience with sealed BB bearings in those conditions - there was a thread a little while ago where I was being lectured that they should last for 40k miles with regular pressure washing.
Old 10-16-23, 07:38 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski

It also backs up my experience with sealed BB bearings in those conditions - there was a thread a little while ago where I was being lectured that they should last for 40k miles with regular pressure washing.
Sealed cartridge are a whole different game. This isn't even close to the first BB I've had to toss for this reason. In the past I've managed to pull the seals and regrease the bearings but this set went down fast. I think it has to do with the arms being so close to the BB seals, there's nothing really protecting the seals from being pushed against as the thin space between the bearings and the arms fill with grass and mud. So as the arms come around its pushing the mud into the bearings and eventually past the seals. Some companies like King do make better sealed ones that will withstand a lot more though eventually they'll still need the cranks pulled and the bearings cleaned and greased. I still like them better than old cup and cone, maybe I never had the right ones but even the last Dura Ace I had needed regular regreasing. On hubs the real advantage is that you can pull the cartridges and toss them while cup and cone left untreated will wreck the hub, in the case of the bike with the failed BB the XT hubs stayed well sealed with no problems.
Old 10-16-23, 10:07 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

And no fenders!
Old 10-16-23, 10:37 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12898 Post(s)
Liked 7,818 Times in 4,152 Posts
How is riding a bike in the mud supposed to be "fun"? I would love to try cyclocross if you can guarantee me a dry course.
I only did a couple of muddy races when I was in a city with weekly races (sometimes 2 CX races per week), then I swore off mid rides.
If I had a butler to clean the bike/shoes/clothes/car I'd do another mud race maybe. There were some that I thought for sure I'd be skipping but it got cold the night before and the muddy ground froze solid. Race time temp was 25° F so it was game-on! Frozen ground is so fast! Just watch out for frozen puddles.
Old 10-16-23, 04:32 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
This statement makes me think you're not going to like cyclocross. It's a bit like saying "I don't like the taste of alcohol. Can you let me try some scotch that doesn't taste like alcohol?"

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-16-23, 04:40 PM
One Wheel

Originally Posted by bbbean
This statement makes me think you're not going to like cyclocross. It's a bit like saying "I don't like the taste of alcohol. Can you let me try some scotch that doesn't taste like alcohol?"
That's fair. The bottom line is that I work in mud, I want to play clean. I can understand if someone works in a clean environment wanting to play in the mud.
Likes For One Wheel:
Old 10-17-23, 07:16 AM
bbbean 

That's fair. The bottom line is that I work in mud, I want to play clean. I can understand if someone works in a clean environment wanting to play in the mud.
FWIW, I'm a farmer and live in a swamp. I understand about working in mud. For many of us, cyclocross is more like "playing bike" the way we did when we were kids.There's also the "bike party" atmosphere, and in the final laps if you aren't a serious contender, there are beer and bacon handups, cheerleaders, hecklers, and other things you wouldn't see at a crit or road race.

Old 10-19-23, 08:16 AM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I've been waxing chains for over 40 years now, using at least a 2 chain rotation. Makes the cassette and chainrings last much longer. Can get about 5000 miles for each chain, but then again I don't play around in the mud....
Likes For polyrhythmia:
Old 10-22-23, 07:04 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
If you follow the usual internet advice hot waxing becomes a huge faff. You can however hot wax a new chain straight from the package and then switch over to drip wax when the initial application is gone. 5 - 10% the faff, 90% - 100% the result.

If your roads are salted during winter wax wont do. Your chain will rust in no time.

Imo, chains are not that expensive. Its hardly worth it spending lots of time, money and effort to make them last forever.
Old 10-23-23, 09:32 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski

I race CX and we usually have a few sloppy mud fests like this each year. Between the racing and driving to/from the races in downpours with my bikes on the roof, I typically end up replacing my "sealed cartridge bearings" in my BB and hubs at the end of every season. A few years ago we had 3 mud races in a row to start the season and I had to replace my BB bearings mid-way through the season due to my crank sounding/feeling like a coffee grinder.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-23-23, 09:37 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I race CX and we usually have a few sloppy mud fests like this each year. Between the racing and driving to/from the races in downpours with my bikes on the roof, I typically end up replacing my "sealed cartridge bearings" in my BB and hubs at the end of every season. A few years ago we had 3 mud races in a row to start the season and I had to replace my BB bearings mid-way through the season due to my crank sounding/feeling like a coffee grinder.
Yeah, sealed doesn't necessarily mean sealed does it?
Old 10-23-23, 09:42 AM
msu2001la

On hubs the real advantage is that you can pull the cartridges and toss them while cup and cone left untreated will wreck the hub
Seconded. I have ruined an Ultegra cup-and-cone hub by racing CX and riding through wintery slushy/salty grime. The ball bearings got corroded/contaminated and then tore up the inside of the hub. Cup-and-cone is great if you stay on top of them, but in muddy/salty riding this requires a lot of attention.

Cartridge bearings are relatively cheap and easy to replace.
Old 10-23-23, 09:50 AM
msu2001la

FWIW, I'm a farmer and live in a swamp. I understand about working in mud. For many of us, cyclocross is more like "playing bike" the way we did when we were kids.There's also the "bike party" atmosphere, and in the final laps if you aren't a serious contender, there are beer and bacon handups, cheerleaders, hecklers, and other things you wouldn't see at a crit or road race.
Well said. Playing bike is exactly what it is. Mud usually makes things more fun.

That said, there's a fine line between a slick track that is still ridable, and a tractor pull where the only way around the track is to carry your bike and run through ankle deep mud. Having participated in a few of those tractor pull types of races, I'm a bit more selective these days.
Old 10-24-23, 06:29 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Well said. Playing bike is exactly what it is. Mud usually makes things more fun.

That said, there's a fine line between a slick track that is still ridable, and a tractor pull where the only way around the track is to carry your bike and run through ankle deep mud. Having participated in a few of those tractor pull types of races, I'm a bit more selective these days.
Fair enough. I don't mind a good mud hole, but those Belgian mudfests you see in the world cup look like torture. If the best CX riders in the world are running through half the course, I know I'd have to sit up and look for the beer handups.

Last edited by bbbean; 10-24-23 at 08:53 AM.
Likes For bbbean:
Old 10-24-23, 07:17 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,051 Times in 670 Posts
Fair enough. I don't mind a god mud hole, but those Belgian mudfests you see in the world cup look like torture. If the best CX riders in the world are running through half the course, I know I'd have to sit up and look for the beer handups.
Seems like there could be a natural restoring force to keep that under check if the rules allowed entrants to skip the bike and just run the course: if it’s bad enough that the runners end up placing, you’ve gone too far in messing up the course. 😀

Otto
Old 10-24-23, 12:57 PM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 306 Posts
Belief systems are immune to logic or reason. Waxers will never become oilers. I'm an oiler. Waxing is absurd in the 21st Century.

Rust never sleeps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.