Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I bought it for the dropouts - seconda parte

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I bought it for the dropouts - seconda parte

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-23, 01:14 PM
iab

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3039 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 1,439 Posts
Stripped of paint. Heading down to Franklin Frame soon. Original paint under the headbadge. Note the nondrive seat stay damage. Like water froze in it. Do you think brass is fine or a full replacement?

Maino Frame 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino Frame 03 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino Frame 09 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino Frame 12 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino Frame 15 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino Frame 21 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino Frame 48 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino Frame 56 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 05-12-23, 01:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Liked 6,559 Times in 3,765 Posts
@iab

I have no idea on the split but I have a cyclone fence post that is doing that for no apparent reason aside from the elements.

It is on a much larger far worse scale, very bizarre to me.
Old 05-12-23, 02:06 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 791 Posts
You might ask over on the framebuilding forum, though obviously Jack will know how best to repair it. Seat stays are low stress (relative to other tubes). Unless you have a perfect match replacement tube already, the odds that a full replacement matches the drive side perfectly seem pretty low. I would think rolling it out, then filling the crack with brass would be simplest and preserve the tube profile.
Old 05-12-23, 02:08 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 791 Posts
Timing is probably not good, but I will be at Franklin Frame on the 31st to pick up my frame. If yours is ready I'd be happy to drive it back...
Old 05-12-23, 02:19 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Maino Frame 09 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Love everything in that photo— particularly the fork crown. Looking forward to the rest of your project
Old 05-12-23, 03:33 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
@iab I was thinking about this bike the other day. Is that RD hanger for GS extra? or whats the catch with the 4o clock stopper?
Old 05-12-23, 04:04 PM
iab

Originally Posted by Lattz
@iab I was thinking about this bike the other day. Is that RD hanger for GS extra? or whats the catch with the 4o clock stopper?
The 4 o'clock stop was made for the gen 1A and gen 1B GS RD. Both of those versions used a screw as the stop on the derailleur. The gen 1C and every RD forward uses a stop integrated into the upper knuckle for a 7 o'clock stop. Gen 1C was made in 1951 too.

There is a Japanese book called "Derailleurs of the World - Campagnolo" that shows these differences.
Likes For iab:
Old 05-12-23, 04:19 PM
iab

Originally Posted by smontanaro
You might ask over on the framebuilding forum, though obviously Jack will know how best to repair it. Seat stays are low stress (relative to other tubes). Unless you have a perfect match replacement tube already, the odds that a full replacement matches the drive side perfectly seem pretty low. I would think rolling it out, then filling the crack with brass would be simplest and preserve the tube profile.
Yes, I'm just asking for asking sake. Whatever Jack does will be fine by me.
Old 05-12-23, 09:12 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
. Now I get to spend 20x on the proper rear derailleur than I did on the frame. Oh joy.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it. (Super Chicken, ca 1968)

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 05-13-23, 12:36 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Originally Posted by iab
The 4 o'clock stop was made for the gen 1A and gen 1B GS RD. Both of those versions used a screw as the stop on the derailleur. The gen 1C and every RD forward uses a stop integrated into the upper knuckle for a 7 o'clock stop. Gen 1C was made in 1951 too.

There is a Japanese book called "Derailleurs of the World - Campagnolo" that shows these differences.
Yes thats why i was asking and actually this came to my mind, because an Extra was lurking on subito for like 80 eur (and I still curse myself I didnt send there my Italian "curator" the day I discovered it) a few weeks ago and those are terrorist expensive normally. But now I see that you will need something rarer than rare.
Old 05-13-23, 01:35 PM
iab

Originally Posted by Lattz
Yes thats why i was asking and actually this came to my mind, because an Extra was lurking on subito for like 80 eur (and I still curse myself I didnt send there my Italian "curator" the day I discovered it) a few weeks ago and those are terrorist expensive normally. But now I see that you will need something rarer than rare.
Yes. CV-6 is correct, I knew what I was getting into when I made the purchase of this cheap frame. It's my weakness, the low cost suckers me into a money pit. I have in my procession gen 1B bronze shift levers and a line on a 1B FD. The RD is definitely has been a bit more elusive, although I was told the levers would be more difficult. I did see a 1C RD at a swap this spring, and I may be being fussy, it is wrong for the dropout. And for the record, I expect to spend a shade more than 80 euro.
Old 05-13-23, 01:54 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by iab
Yes. CV-6 is correct, I knew what I was getting into when I made the purchase of this cheap frame. It's my weakness, the low cost suckers me into a money pit. I have in my procession gen 1B bronze shift levers and a line on a 1B FD. The RD is definitely has been a bit more elusive, although I was told the levers would be more difficult. I did see a 1C RD at a swap this spring, and I may be being fussy, it is wrong for the dropout. And for the record, I expect to spend a shade more than 80 euro.
Oh.... I didnt question that you are able and willing to spend more on such a bike, I would be disappointed if not.
I just said when I saw the 1c or extra this came to my mind not knowing it would not fit. I think an 1k+ derailleur is awesome on any given day for 80 eur even for paperweight.

On the other hand Im happy that at least with pre 70s things i still have some remaining sanity in my head not to buy things what are beyond my pockets. I stare at frames love em for the toothed dropout then think about Cambio Corsa or Roubaix prices and click next.

Last edited by Lattz; 05-13-23 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-01-23, 10:20 AM
iab

Back from paint. I'm please as punch, especially the new chrome. More pics here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/681231...77720304290867

Maino 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino 03 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino 05 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino 13 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Maino 36 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 10-02-23, 10:31 AM
ultrarunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Right back at ya! I have the same dropouts on my Lotus :-)
Old 10-02-23, 12:43 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,157 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Right back at ya! I have the same dropouts on my Lotus :-)
Either your Lotus is a time traveler or you should look more closely!
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-02-23, 12:56 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked 3,502 Times in 2,276 Posts
-----

...difficult to imagine Tsunoda employing the subject ends...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 10-02-23, 01:04 PM
ultrarunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
drop outs...

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Either your Lotus is a time traveler or you should look more closely!
Brent
Well, good call...not "exactly" the same drops.
Old 10-02-23, 03:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked 2,845 Times in 2,006 Posts
The two segment front fender was a design that persisted on Italian bikes for decades.

I often have wondered at the root cause, why?
Old 10-02-23, 04:29 PM
iab

Originally Posted by repechage
The two segment front fender was a design that persisted on Italian bikes for decades.

Don't know, don't care. Shorties are cool, that's all I need to know.

Although you can get a 1-piece front too. Not uncommon.
Old 10-02-23, 04:51 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 2,751 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

On a racing bike with minimal clearance, a fender can't easily pass beneath the crown without being pushed down into the airspace claimed by the tire and its desired amount of "mud room". On a racing bike that only gets fenders in winter, well, that's when you're more likely to mount larger tires.

Still, on so many old bikes that have the split fenders, it looks like the mud clearance would have been ample even if a one-piece fender had been fitted. So maybe it wasn't so much a requirement as just a "seemed prudent" sorta thing.

Edit: Here's an example of how you can get more tire+mud clearance with a split fender. Shown is a '57 Bianchi owned by John Katsaras, see the whole album here.

You can see how, at least on this bike, it gives more clearance. No way to get the fender up that high, if it passed under the crown and brake.

Last edited by bulgie; 10-02-23 at 06:00 PM.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 10-03-23, 04:38 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 149 Posts
Wow, what great results.
The font on the dropout is super cool, love it.
Old 10-03-23, 07:07 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by bulgie
On a racing bike with minimal clearance, a fender can't easily pass beneath the crown without being pushed down into the airspace claimed by the tire and its desired amount of "mud room". On a racing bike that only gets fenders in winter, well, that's when you're more likely to mount larger tires.

Still, on so many old bikes that have the split fenders, it looks like the mud clearance would have been ample even if a one-piece fender had been fitted. So maybe it wasn't so much a requirement as just a "seemed prudent" sorta thing.

Edit: Here's an example of how you can get more tire+mud clearance with a split fender. Shown is a '57 Bianchi owned by John Katsaras, see the whole album here.

You can see how, at least on this bike, it gives more clearance. No way to get the fender up that high, if it passed under the crown and brake.
and almost impossible to fit a wrench onto that brake, on that bike I would expect for fair weather the forward fender segment would remain.
Old 10-03-23, 10:59 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1307 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 5,981 Times in 2,332 Posts
Well that came out very nicely! I really like the curved brake bridge matching the fender curvature, it's a nice touch.

Interested in knowing how the chain stay repair was done. I've seen people cut out the "cancerous" section to get to good metal, then braze in a patch. I have a very interesting old british frame with the same issue.
Old 10-03-23, 11:58 AM
repechage

@gugie - but that would be telling.

as the Prisoner said upon departure- “be seeing you”.
Old 10-03-23, 03:07 PM
iab

Originally Posted by gugie
Well that came out very nicely! I really like the curved brake bridge matching the fender curvature, it's a nice touch.

Interested in knowing how the chain stay repair was done. I've seen people cut out the "cancerous" section to get to good metal, then braze in a patch. I have a very interesting old british frame with the same issue.
I believe Jack said he did just that, brazed in a patch. Could not put in a new stay because nothing matched. Not surprising.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.