Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Free wheel noise

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Free wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 12:37 PM
dirtydozen

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Free wheel noise

Hello,

I did a couple of climbs 2 weeks ago and during the descents my freewheel would make a weird noise (like a very noisy hub).

It doesn't happen systematically when I am in free wheel, I can spend 10sec and then noise comes, sometimes noise comes just after 2 seconds as well.
What is consistent though is :
1) as soon as I pedal the noise is gone instantly
2) if I pedal backwards it makes the same noise instantly and i can feel it's not smooth

Do you guys have any ideas what could be the reason ?

thanks
Old 11-14-23, 12:45 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 601 Times in 453 Posts
It's hard to say without a video / sound clip. Also, what do you mean by ''its not smooth''?

My freehub sound isn't always constant either (it changes depending on a few factors, including the temperature) but I don't feel like there's anything wrong with it.
Old 11-14-23, 01:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,569 Times in 4,424 Posts
Probably one of the pawls in your ratchet is stiff and/or needs lube. I suspect plenty of YouTube videos explain how to disassemble and grease this.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-14-23, 01:14 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Need to know what kind of sound it makes to try and pinpoint what's going on. A video or sound clip would be very useful.
Old 11-14-23, 04:39 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Liked 183 Times in 119 Posts
Pull the cassette off and take a look. It may need a good cleaning and some grease but make sure nothing is broken.
Old 11-15-23, 04:21 AM
choddo

Liked 570 Times in 425 Posts
Does the top of the chain go slack when this happens, as if the cassette is being pushed forward a bit by the rotation of the wheel?

Is it a Mavic wheel?
Old 11-15-23, 03:17 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 165 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Does the top of the chain go slack when this happens, as if the cassette is being pushed forward a bit by the rotation of the wheel?

Is it a Mavic wheel?
I had this happen on my old Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. First time, the wheel freewheeled much more loudly than before, like something snapped inside the freehub and was buzzing every time it freewheeled. It eventually started taking longer to engage (think more than 1/4 turn of the cranks, maybe a full revolution before it engaged). Took the wheel to the shop, they diagnosed it as a failing freehub, and put on a working freehub from another Mavic that had come in (for the cost of labor). The 2nd freehub started failing a few weeks ago, with the symptoms you described - upon coasting, the top of the chain would go slack, and even a small amount of backpedaling (2-3 rotations) would cause the chain to go slack enough that the bike would try to shift gears. As this was already the 2nd freehub, and the rims were pretty worn down, I bit the bullet and bought new wheels. Ksyrium S wheels this time, no complaints so far.
Old 11-15-23, 03:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,407 Times in 3,731 Posts
If the top run of the chain isn't going very slack, then I'd tend to not worry about it. Probably you just have a noisy hub that gets noisier and changes sounds somewhat as you get faster. Maybe the lube is getting pushed more out of the way and isn't cushioning the pawls every blow they make in the rachet mechanism.

If it's a problem that is about to happen, then you'll probably be able to realize exactly what needs fixing when it becomes very evident to you for the same amount of money or less than you can "fix" potential causes.
Old 11-15-23, 04:07 PM
big john

Liked 10,197 Times in 4,949 Posts
Could be freehub bearings.