Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Would I be foolish to drill Trek rims to fit Schraders?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Would I be foolish to drill Trek rims to fit Schraders?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-23, 06:08 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Liked 771 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk
I think I will go with the tighter tolerance of 5/16". Can't have that 0.002" extra with the 8mm hole. We're talking ultra precision rubber here with this batch of Chinese 27" 1-1/8" Schrader tubes.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Sounds like I probably don't need to stress over it too much one way or the other. I will probably drill for Schraders next time I have a flat.
Look, if you're going to take this seriously, you'll need a 21/64"

Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 11-17-23, 07:01 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Liked 1,317 Times in 698 Posts
I suggest using a tapered reamer to ensure you are taking the absolute minimum amount of material

drills "walk around" and decenter

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-17-23, 07:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,599 Times in 1,890 Posts
Yup.
Old 11-18-23, 12:19 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,205 Times in 2,036 Posts
if you think PV is hard to deal with, dont try the dunlop valve for dunlop specific tires thing. That gets flat out tiring.

The risk might high with a "road" rim, but not so much with a wider rim. Make sure all the debris is out of the rim channel if it's dbl walled.
Old 11-18-23, 12:45 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,962 Times in 1,642 Posts
Forgive if this was covered, I didn't read the whole thread.

The most important consideration is whether the rim's inner width us sufficient.

Adequate tire clearance between the valve and rim is critical. This as is certain with wider rims. However, the combination of narrow rim, SV, and tires that are thicker at the bead would be.like trying to put 6#s of apples in a 5# bag.

Even if it seems OK, it can prevent proper seating valve seating, and chronic tube failures.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-18-23, 09:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,435 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk
I do have a couple of those adapters and use them when I use the 12V inflator. But I find them to be a bit of an annoyance vs my bikes with Schraders. Especially so when filling a few bikes at a time.

It doesn't help that I just bought a box of 20 Schrader tubes.

These rims are holding 32mm and 25mm tires (Trek 520 and 2120). So maybe that would be too narrow to drill. I would guess it's 1/8" or so bigger diameter.
Wrong adapter. The thread on ones are a royal pain to use. If you are going to use a compressor instead of a manual pump, The SKS adaptor works much better. No need to unscrew the adapter, loosen the presta stem, screw on the adapter, pump up the tire, unscrew the adaptor, tighten the presta stem, and then screw on the adaptor. Just push the adaptor on and pump up the tire.

If you absolutely have to enlarge the hole, I’ll second (third?) the use of a tapered hand reamer. It’s not difficult to use and a lot better than using a handheld power drill.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 11-18-23 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-18-23, 02:07 PM
fastbike

Bikes: Bikes are just like shoes, make sure you have the right ones for the right occasion

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
But for 27", use a 5/16"?
That made my day
Old 11-18-23, 03:09 PM
Camilo

Liked 1,293 Times in 824 Posts
If your issue is a compressor with an inflator or valve head that doesn't fit a Presta valve, to me, rather than drill out a rim, I'd either get a new inflator to attach to the compressor (inexpensive - see Ebay, Park tool cost not necessary), or replace the head of your current inflator with a Presta one which are available. My inexpensive EBay digital inflator came with both. It not only works perfectly, I use it regularly between my cars and my Presta bikes simply by changing the head, no tools required.

I guess I don't see any practical reason to drill out a perfectly good rim to use a different valve stem which is imho, inferior for a bike.
Old 11-18-23, 04:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,972 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I'd enjoy SV more if they also had that collar to stop the valve from hiding back into the rim every time I use my Park Tool INF-2.
I gently clamp a needle-nose vise-grip onto the valve stem to keep it from sinking into the rim when inflating the tube.
Old 11-18-23, 08:47 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by soyabean
I'd enjoy SV more if they also had that collar to stop the valve from hiding back into the rim every time I use my Park Tool INF-2.
They do.

I honestly don't think one is better than the other, I believe PV is actually necessary for thin rims, as SV holes just remove too much integrity and may make the wheel harder to keep true.
i think too much is made of the “integrity” issue. It’s really only 2 mm (8mm vs 6mm). Even a very narrow rim isn’t going to be compromised.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-18-23, 08:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by cyccommute
.....i think too much is made of the “integrity” issue. It’s really only 2 mm (8mm vs 6mm). Even a very narrow rim isn’t going to be compromised.
+1

This isn't in any way a structural issue. Rim makers have drilled larger valve holes for a century, and I doubt there's ever been a failure because of it.

Its purely about preference. I prefer PV, but if you prefer SV go for it.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-18-23 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-18-23, 10:19 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Never had an issue with a drill bit walking when used with a cordless drill. 5/16 or 8mm bit tip fits pretty well in the existing hole, because it only removes a minimal amount of material. And if you have access to an air compressor, blow out the rim if it's double-walled, chamfer the hole with a fine file to remove all the burs.
Old 11-18-23, 11:06 PM
FBinNY 

The best way to do this is with a tapered hand reamer. It takes a minute or two and does a nice job with a cheap, versatile tool you'll find other uses for later.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-18-23, 11:07 PM
FBinNY 

The best way to do this is with a tapered hand reamer. It takes a minute or two and does a nice job with a cheap, versatile tool you'll find other uses for later.

Old 11-18-23, 11:15 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Cheap and effective.

Oh, my god, that is beautiful!

Utilitarian but it will probably outlast the Harbor Freight one.

Old 11-19-23, 12:35 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Liked 479 Times in 361 Posts
If you insist, but I would check the dimensions of the rim first. If they're narrow, like pre-2015 road rims, you might weaken the rim or have trouble seating the tube and the tire bead at the valve stem. If they're too deep you might have trouble finding tubes with valve stems that are long enough. I remember a Schwinn hybrid from about 20 years back that had deep-dish rims and used Schreader valves.Very stylish but finding tubes for fixing flats was always an expedition. Good luck.
Old 11-19-23, 08:45 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
If you insist, but I would check the dimensions of the rim first. If they're narrow, like pre-2015 road rims, you might weaken the rim or have trouble seating the tube and the tire bead at the valve stem. If they're too deep you might have trouble finding tubes with valve stems that are long enough. I remember a Schwinn hybrid from about 20 years back that had deep-dish rims and used Schreader valves.Very stylish but finding tubes for fixing flats was always an expedition. Good luck.
Drilling out a rim for Schrader doesn’t weaken it. The rim below is a Mavic XC717 rim. It has a 17mm internal width and is extremely light. This one came from the factory with Schrader drilling and uses a grommet for presta valves. It’s not weak nor weakened because it is drilled for Schrader.

Old 11-19-23, 10:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,656 Times in 3,295 Posts
Reasons to drill your presta rims for schrader valves...
  1. Presta valves are illegal in your area of Kazakhstan.
  2. You inherited a storage unit of schrader tubes
  3. You're building the cheapest looking bike possible.
  4. Bike will be used in a '50s era musical.
  5. Pure madness in winter.
Likes For SurferRosa: