Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brake rub help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Brake rub help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-23, 10:49 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 601 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
He's already fixed it by re-aligning the caliper.
The guy could have probably just patiently waited until his pads broke in properly. That's what I was trying to say.
Old 11-24-23, 10:52 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,623 Times in 3,347 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Er, he did?

(apologies paradox, I’m assuming you’re a bloke which is terrible online manners)
My bad for not reading up through the posts. Busted!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-24-23, 10:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,411 Times in 3,734 Posts
I don't worry about having a visual gap between the pad and the disc. One piston might be easier for the spring pushing the pads apart to push in and have all the gap on the other side. As long as no pressure is being applied by that pad to the disc it's just as good if it had a visual gap.
Old 11-24-23, 12:41 PM
Kontact

Liked 2,294 Times in 1,476 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't worry about having a visual gap between the pad and the disc. One piston might be easier for the spring pushing the pads apart to push in and have all the gap on the other side. As long as no pressure is being applied by that pad to the disc it's just as good if it had a visual gap.
No visual gap = rub.
Old 11-24-23, 01:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,411 Times in 3,734 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
No visual gap = rub.
No, you just can't see the gap that's there because it's so tiny.

And even if there is rub, it doesn't mean that it's making noise that one will hear while riding or that it is wasting even a fraction of a watt of power.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-24-23, 03:26 PM
choddo

Liked 570 Times in 425 Posts

And even if there is rub, it doesn't mean that it's making noise that one will hear while riding or that it is wasting even a fraction of a watt of power.
true. But if you do have audible brake rub like Paradox, aligning the calipers with a visible gap is a surefire way of eliminating it (assuming a straight rotor)
Old 11-24-23, 04:56 PM
Kontact

Liked 2,294 Times in 1,476 Posts

If you have to run your calipers off center to manage asymmetric movement of the pistons, it is likely going to just get worse. Take the 5 minutes to get the sticky side working right and adjust the brakes correctly.
Old 11-25-23, 03:51 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
I never use the brake levers to clamp down and tighten things up, which in my 12 years in bike shops, never worked for me. Last time I did this was with BB7's, and even in that instant I used business cards between the pads and rotor, which helped, but ultimately tightening down each caliper bolt a little at a time is the best way to get everything aligned. OP did the correct way of centering brake calipers.
Likes For frdfandc: