Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garage Door Opener... Seriously

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garage Door Opener... Seriously

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-23, 09:42 AM
njkayaker

Liked 1,462 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Try a Doormate 2. Relatively easy to move from bike to bike.
Doormate 2 – 12 speed products
You still have to unscrew it from one bike and screw it on to another. That's going to get old pretty quick if it's a regular thing.

It probably would be easier and cheaper to just get a small fob style opener.
Old 12-02-23, 09:42 AM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I have wifi garage doors, just an app on my phone. Doesn't matter which bike I ride, I always carry my phone.
Old 12-02-23, 10:02 AM
njkayaker

Liked 1,462 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by serotta
I have wifi garage doors, just an app on my phone. Doesn't matter which bike I ride, I always carry my phone.
That doesn't seem like an option for anybody looking at the products being discussed here. If you are doing a lot of "rolling up to the door", the button on the bike is going to be more convenient.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023...h-smart-homes/

The "cool kids" would set things up so the door would open up automatically when you rolled up to it (no buttons/phones needed).
Old 12-02-23, 11:54 AM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
That doesn't seem like an option for anybody looking at the products being discussed here. If you are doing a lot of "rolling up to the door", the button on the bike is going to be more convenient.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023...h-smart-homes/

The "cool kids" would set things up so the door would open up automatically when you rolled up to it (no buttons/phones needed).

I agree this is a great product, but if you have multiple bikes, and were going to replace your 25 year old garage door openers anyway, then wifi is a good solution. I only carry a phone and can open all garage doors from anywhere.
It's also handy for deliveries. I get a notification when they arrive, I open the garage door, they place the package inside, I tell them thank you. I shut the garage door.
Likes For serotta:
Old 12-02-23, 01:42 PM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,709 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You still have to unscrew it from one bike and screw it on to another. That's going to get old pretty quick if it's a regular thing.

It probably would be easier and cheaper to just get a small fob style opener.
It looks like the stem cap option may be a viable alternative. If the remote itself somehow just clicks into the mount, and multiple mounts are available, it would just be a matter of clicking the remote to the stem cap of the bike you're using. I've written them to see some installation instructions, and asked if they sell additional mounts.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-02-23, 08:06 PM
Alan K

Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
[QUOTE=Bald Paul;23088394]
Originally Posted by Alan K
I have too many bicycles to make this device practical/economical./QUOTE]

Try a Doormate 2. Relatively easy to move from bike to bike.
Doormate 2 – 12 speed products
Thank you, but is moving a remote from one bike to another more convenient than pressing a few buttons on the key pad?
Or for that matter, bringing a key that turns the lock mechanism… Oh, the horrors of having to rely on something that doesn’t require a battery and always works flawlessly - just like my decades year old mechanical watches, all they need is a little bit of wrist movement, in other words wearing them while awake. 😉
Old 12-03-23, 06:25 AM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,709 Times in 806 Posts
[QUOTE=Alan K;23089056]
Originally Posted by Bald Paul

Thank you, but is moving a remote from one bike to another more convenient than pressing a few buttons on the key pad?
Or for that matter, bringing a key that turns the lock mechanism… Oh, the horrors of having to rely on something that doesn’t require a battery and always works flawlessly - just like my decades year old mechanical watches, all they need is a little bit of wrist movement, in other words wearing them while awake. 😉
Oh, the horrors of having to move a small remote from one stem to another! After attaching my Garmin, my Varia, my headlight, and my GoPro, clicking in a garage remote on my stem cap would be just TOO MUCH!
Oh, and pressing a button on your bike to open your garage door so you can ride right in is actually pretty convenient.
Do you have a garage door opener somewhere there in your decades old AMC Pacer? Or is it more convenient for you to stop, get out in your driveway, walk to the garage door (swing your arm to wind your decades old watch) use your key or enter your keypad code, get back into your car, drive in, get out and manually close the door?
Old 12-03-23, 09:54 PM
Alan K

Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
[QUOTE=Bald Paul;23089284]
Originally Posted by Alan K
Oh, the horrors of having to move a small remote from one stem to another! After attaching my Garmin, my Varia, my headlight, and my GoPro, clicking in a garage remote on my stem cap would be just TOO MUCH!
Oh, and pressing a button on your bike to open your garage door so you can ride right in is actually pretty convenient.
Do you have a garage door opener somewhere there in your decades old AMC Pacer? Or is it more convenient for you to stop, get out in your driveway, walk to the garage door (swing your arm to wind your decades old watch) use your key or enter your keypad code, get back into your car, drive in, get out and manually close the door?
Fairly amusing imagery, but filled with absurd assumptions.