Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tape over ESI grips

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tape over ESI grips

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 01:17 PM
CharlesDennison

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tape over ESI grips

Possibly a stupid question: I just ordered a Surly Corner Bar and I'm researching options on wrapping, grips, or both. While I prefer the look of tape, I'm thinking I'll need grips in pseudo drop area. Is it possible to cover/wrap ESI grips in tape to create a better look? Or will this create a nightmare of unraveling? There is a pic in my gallery from a blog showing the grip wrap combo. I'm just hoping to make the look more complete.

Thanks,

Last edited by CharlesDennison; 12-19-23 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add gallery pic
Old 12-19-23, 01:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,404 Times in 3,729 Posts
Here is the picture the OP referenced....

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/32111382
Old 12-19-23, 09:00 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '79 Trek 739, '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '84 Woodrup Giro Touring, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '97 Bob Jackson Super Tourist Custom, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Liked 294 Times in 97 Posts
Couple vids from Blue Lug in Japan about wrapping ESI grips... Just turn on the English sub titles

Oops, that second one isn't over grips but it could be!
Old 12-20-23, 12:23 PM
CharlesDennison

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. This definitely on the track that I was looking to see. I'm not sure about the cloth tape and twine, but I now know it is at least feasible.
Old 12-20-23, 09:07 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '79 Trek 739, '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '84 Woodrup Giro Touring, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '97 Bob Jackson Super Tourist Custom, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Liked 294 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesDennison
Thanks. This definitely on the track that I was looking to see. I'm not sure about the cloth tape and twine, but I now know it is at least feasible.
You could try tucking the tape into the bar with the plugs after wrapping over the grips like normal drop bars and avoid using twin all together. It would be the thickest of double wrap. I think the challenging part will be the transition on either end of the grips and getting enough tension to compress the silicone so that the tape overlap looks right and feels good.
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 01-03-24, 03:47 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Liked 241 Times in 149 Posts
I'd use double EVA foam type bar wrap myself if I wanted more padding there. Not a fan of ESI grips, let alone on a drop bar. (That's just me though!) Half a roll for each side will do, trim off any excess. Do a dry run if necessary before making it final.

If you're set on the grips though, it may be easier to wrap using an unpadded kind of synthetic bar tape. I'm not into the cotton/twine thing either, too esoteric for my sensibilities.

You can do it ! No permission or pathway needed. Doooooo !