Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Felco or Knipex spoke cutter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Felco or Knipex spoke cutter

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 06:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 3,095 Times in 1,761 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
re-use spokes yes, nips no. false economy

/markp
If the nipples are in bad shape, you'd obviously replace them. If they haven't been touched since the wheels were built, no need to replace them. (I've oiled the spoke threads on all my wheel builds since the 1960's, so getting full tension is easy. It's been very rare for me to have to true any of them even once.)
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-27-24, 08:54 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
re-use spokes yes, nips no. false economy

/markp
I take the opportunity to replace with sapim polyax and washer if I have enough length on the spoke, not over expensive and line up nicely. I understand why people re-use if moneys tight (I would if I could not afford it), but you can’t do it without being warned and accepting the consequence, (threadlock might would be advisable), saying that I bet there are hundreds running around with no problems across the world, just not me! I always re-use stainless spokes for myself if in good condition.

Old ones go into a bucket, they are brass and one day I will weigh them in for scrap and re-coup the price of the ones I bought when brass rates climb……well that’s the theory……
Old 01-27-24, 08:58 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Originally Posted by Trakhak
If the nipples are in bad shape, you'd obviously replace them. If they haven't been touched since the wheels were built, no need to replace them. (I've oiled the spoke threads on all my wheel builds since the 1960's, so getting full tension is easy. It's been very rare for me to have to true any of them even once.)

You know, it would be interesting to take say 10 new and 10 old spoke nipples and tension them on a jig with new spokes until they let go and take an aggregate reading. I do wonder how much there is in it, I just go with gut instinct, sometimes results can surprise!
Old 01-28-24, 09:23 PM
Weogo

Bikes: 2022 HudSki Doggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

https://us.gedore.com/en/products/ou...cutting-plate/

Blades are replaceable.

Recycling a bunch of old wheels at the local bike co-op, we went through about 75 rims, cutting the spokes, before the blades dulled.
Am going to try sharpening the blades with diamond files and plates.

Crimper does a very good job on cable tips.
Likes For Weogo:
Old 01-28-24, 09:47 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Good suggestion, at a price that makes it easy to use them only for spoke cutting.

That said: am I really the only guy on Bike Forums who is happy to unscrew spoke nipples and save the spokes and nipples for future builds? Stainless spokes are among the few bike components that really are likely to last forever. (Jobst Brandt once mentioned that he had ridden some 300,000 miles on one set of stainless spokes, having replaced the rim many times and the hub a few times.)

I agree. Only once, decades ago, did I cut the spokes quick in order to save a nice 105 hub after the rim had a crack at the spoke hole. But now, I would always save the spokes. First, stainless spokes are expensive for a whole set. Second, they have tons of alternate uses, high quality, thick, stainless steel wire.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 01-30-24, 02:56 PM
awac

Ok quick update. Had reply from a UK dealership.

Thanks for your email. We do not have a manual for the C3 that contains the information you need unfortunately.I think going direct to Felco will be the best way to get the answers you require”.

Credit for a reply, but it has no information, no offer to follow up and contact Felco themselves. A lot of Felco dealerships are gardening based and if I was asking for secateur advise, I think they would have it. However, if you are selling a product I expect the literature to be available from Felco and the dealer to have contact with the technical/sales department of the producer. I have repaired, demonstrated and sold quarry crushers in my past life, and those boys (and girls) make you work for a sale, you have to know everything, and if not you find out about it and get back.

America has a name for customer service, anyone know a Felco dealer who knows his products? On a lighter note, do you think customer service in the US is better? That could be amusing…..
Old 02-02-24, 02:36 PM
AllanD

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have several Knipex tools and have been very impressed with the overall quality.
Likes For AllanD:
Old 02-02-24, 04:51 PM
awac

Originally Posted by AllanD
I have several Knipex tools and have been very impressed with the overall quality.
I was just going to pull the trigger on a Knipex when I chanced upon a lightly used Felco C7 for £20. Ok that is cheap enough to try and see how it performs!

I also picked up a rather blunt Mikado cutter, Not screwed it down yet so I can try, but looking at the cutters I would be faster chewing a spoke….perhaps I can find a friend with a lathe. It was cheap and it is interesting, I will get to it eventually!

Mikado cutter

Old 02-03-24, 09:26 AM
Weogo

I like those replaceable cutters on the Mikado!

More bench-top cutters:
https://www.wirecutterstore.com/Benc...ters_c_15.html
Likes For Weogo:
Old 02-03-24, 01:38 PM
awac

Originally Posted by Weogo
I like those replaceable cutters on the Mikado!

More bench-top cutters:
https://www.wirecutterstore.com/Benc...ters_c_15.html
They are good aren't they? Just wish they were sharp!
Old 02-06-24, 06:44 PM
Weogo

Can those cutters be sharpened, or are replacements available?
Old 02-07-24, 03:26 AM
awac

Originally Posted by Weogo
Can those cutters be sharpened, or are replacements available?
I expect they can be to a point (excuse the pun, lol). I can not find any information about Mikado on line especially about this cutter, so no idea of the age of them, 50s, 60’s? Maybe at a later date I can get a set made.